Grumpy Old Men stand up!

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
So, last night I'm hangin' out with my lady and she said she thinks I should stop being negative and complaining about things because stuff happens to everyone and not just me. This I can completely agree with. However, I have noticed over the years that I have been treated a whole lot different then other people and when I see "double standards" etc. I have questioned them lately. She told me things are they way they are and just let them be. I honestly just can not do that! The funny thing is my boy a fellow dj and I were talking a few days back and we said jesus listen to ourseleves we sound like some grumpy old men that sit around and complain and talk shit! It was pretty funny. But for example a club I have worked at for a year has all of sudden a no hat policy even for the dj. I'm cool with that. So I forgot about it and walk in with my hat on the other day and they ask me to remove it. Fine no worries. Another guy walks in 5 minutes later with a hat on and it's all good. No one says nothing to him at all! So I therfore questioned the club owner and management about it and they couldn't believe I was serious and made a stink over the situation. Oh believe me, I was dead serious! My girl asked why did this even bother me? Well I guess because after years and years of recieving similar treatment you simply get fed up with it? Maybe I am a grumpy old man! I sure feel like one!!! Lol........... One more example is there was a club and the guy that did the dj bookings was dj himself and he HAD to play even when a guest dj was booked. He informed me there were certain songs I was not allowed to play that were banned from the club such as "Lean back" and "Pass the couvissior". Once, again fine no worries (even though that was some b.s.). I noticed not only did he play both of those songs so did the other dj that was there a few weeks later. I played "Lean Back" the next time I was there and he about went through the roof!!! Now, what the fuck is up with that? Am I not allowed to question these types of actions? When I do, why does that make ME grumpy or bitter or complaining? I simply want an answer that would make me understand.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you're completely in the right for complaining about both of these and like most of us would agree it's not the shit that was done but it's the principle of it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    one thing for sure. as time passes, you no longer feel like putting up with the same old bullshit. (and it really is the same old bullshit.) i find myself checking motherfuckers left and right. it's exhausting.

• what is the point of a no hat policy anyway ? a club i do has that, but does not enforce it on me.
    the worst thing about the no hat policy, is when women rock one its ok. sexism to the fullest.
    the club playlist shit, i would have checked asap. nip it in the bud.

redo all songs said... not to play in a folky acoustic version, then drop em.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

what is the point of a no hat policy anyway ?

In the club I used to work at it was classed as a "security" decision as the hat obscures peoples faces on CCTV. Something I considerd BS until they replaced the old VHS system with a new digital one. I could not believe how clear the pictures were and how much detail they could get from them, pure "Enemy Of The State" steez.
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU !!![/b]

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i still sit on the back of the bus but these fucking kids and their bullshit ass music playing off their silly little phone/ipod/electronic device and it drives me fucking nuts. ive, foolishly at times, have told these kids to turn it down. why? cause its too loud... cause the music sucks... because im in a mood for smackin ignorance around the back of the bus for a while. im on the bus for 30 blocks... after that you can do whatever the fuck it is you fucking want to do. the respect these kids have today is well its not there. no getting up from their seat. no moving out of the way of adults, handicap, me, etc. THESE FUCKING BACKPACKS WITH A MILLION FUCKING BOOKS IN THEM. put that shit on the ground between your legs... just keep that shit out the aisle. and the mouths on these kids. okay now i cuss often. too much... but these young girls, must be no older than 15, maybe younger, most likely younger, are talking about "im not gunna be mackin on that nigga no longer.." there are like 100 things wrong about that sentence. why? why are these kids affecting me so much? i hate them... really i do. not all of them... but a lot of them.

• trust me brother, I know where you are coming from....I feel like a grumpy old man complaining alot lately too. Like damn I sound like those old man I see on train everyday....I always said that wouldn't sound like them...haha!! Anyway, double standards need to be checked ASAP! The shit is happening to me too much as of late...it's like when I check someone on some stupid shit I am the asshole?! How's that? Especially, when people love to check you but won't hear of it from you when they are wrong or just plain stupid. I am sorry too many people feel it's ok to chin check you on shit, but will get their panties in bunch if you check them. I am not going to hold my tongue if I see some sideways shit...anyway, didn't mean vent too much, but I know where you are coming from.

p.s. by the way, peace brother
    Amir

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Word, sound like we are all pretty much feeling the same. yes, I do sound like a grumpy old man when I think about it and like I said, maybe I am! But I just can't deal with crap any longer!!!!

• Standing!

I think that, unfortunately, double standards go with the territory in the music/entertainment biz. Basically the majority of people involved are just a bunch of middle-management chumps that want a taste of that lifestyle, but really have no fucking clue about what to do (except where to find the coke and hookers).

I mean, in the short 7 years I've lived in NYC, I've found it to be just as full of people who get by by faking it as LA (and tons of people know it, yet no one wants to pull their card). They are too worried about 'not burning bridges' to speak the truth, and people nowadays are basically pussies that can't handle the truth and usually throw some sort of tantrum or blacklist your ass if you have the balls to stand up for yourself. I've been much more of a recluse in the last 10 years of my life because I'm tired of meeting dumbasses, and I already got a good circle of close friends.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    i find myself checking motherfuckers left and right. it's exhausting.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

people nowadays are basically pussies that can't handle the truth

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Dee,

I totally feel your sentiments, man. The older I get the shorter my patience for bullshit gets. I'm finding people and their inconsiderate, rude nature so irritating, that I rather stay at the crib. Everywhere you go, someone is infringing on you. You're at a restaurant, trying to have dinner, and some dumb-ass is shouting on a cellphone at the table next to you. You're standing at the luggage checkpoint at the airport, and some self-centered asshole wants to cut in line in front of 40 other people before him, and no one (but me) says shit. Don't even "get real" with people, they look at you like you're the devil. Whatever happened to truth and dignity? Everybody is so willing to kiss ass for gain. Damn that, I gotta look in the mirror and respect who I see.

People are driving with their minds in the clouds, and gun it right through the stop sign, but wanna mean-mug me when I lay on the horn to wake their asses up? I wish I drove an old '74 Impala, then I'd gun it right into their front quarter panel. Let's not even talk about movie theaters. I've all but given up on them, with rude-ass knuckleheads talking loud throughout the film, and constant cellphone ringing. I find people annoying, and if I were younger, I might wanna swing on muthafuckas on some high school shit. I'm amazed at how people are so self-absorbed and can give a fuck about other folks. It's sad, yet makes me angry at the same time. Yep, I'ma grumpy old man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm moving past my grumpy old man stage. First off I'm the guy they let in with the hat so I don't have that problem.

But I used to get in everyones business; hang up that phone, you can't smoke in here, pull up your pants, your gonna get sunburned, don't you be rolling through that stop sign while I'm trying to cross the street....

I've decided that it is no longer my job to police the world, so you will only hear me say these things half as often as I used to.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Hey Dee,

I totally feel your sentiments, man. The older I get the shorter my patience for bullshit gets. I'm finding people and their inconsiderate, rude nature so irritating, that I rather stay at the crib. Everywhere you go, someone is infringing on you. You're at a restaurant, trying to have dinner, and some dumb-ass is shouting on a cellphone at the table next to you. You're standing at the luggage checkpoint at the airport, and some self-centered asshole wants to cut in line in front of 40 other people before him, and no one (but me) says shit. Don't even "get real" with people, they look at you like you're the devil. Whatever happened to truth and dignity? Everybody is so willing to kiss ass for gain. Damn that, I gotta look in the mirror and respect who I see.

People are driving with their minds in the clouds, and gun it right through the stop sign, but wanna mean-mug me when I lay on the horn to wake their asses up? I wish I drove an old '74 Impala, then I'd gun it right into their front quarter panel. Let's not even talk about movie theaters. I've all but given up on them, with rude as knuckleheads talking load throughout the film, and constant cellphone ringing. I find people annoying, and if I were younger, I might wanna swing on muthafuckas on some high school shit. I'm amazed at how people are so self-absorbed and can give a fuck about other folks. It's sad, yet makes me angry at the same time. Yep, I'ma grumpy old man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    man, i get mad pissed at all this shit but i aint really old yet. does that mean i qualify as a grumpy old man?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    People who asked to "see the manager" used to annoy me. Now, i'm that dude.

Nobody warned me about the 30's ....This is a strange period in life.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Mofo's dirving like maniacs!

Young punk that need to shut up and turn the music down!

I only stay up past midnight when I have a DJ gig!

Fuck beer, where's the fine wine!

Why didn't girls look like that when I was 18!!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean you don't own a record!

What do you mean who is Gang of Four/CSNY/Iron Maiden/Jimmy Smith/Cal Tjader/LTD/DRI/SOD...............the list goes on.

On the radio today the DJ said "we're going to take it old school with Radiohead" WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yea, I'm an old fart.

• I called the 1-800 number on the back of my Kroger brand "Radical Ranch" chips to complain about the pretzels i found in the bottom of the bag. Does that count?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I called the 1-800 number on the back of my Kroger brand "Radical Ranch" chips to complain about the pretzels i found in the bottom of the bag. Does that count?

No, that just means you're a sociopath.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    fuck everyone.

i was born grumpy. Now im getting older my condition is compounding.

Motherfucking customer service or lack of it is the biggest for me. then of course just your day to day interactions with the general public that consistently lowers expectations and my hope for the human race.
    rude people.Fuck rude people.
    Bullying. i caught 3 kids pushing around a little kid the other day, did my angry grown up bit and when a cop arrived, i was older than her.

grumble grumble.

what happenned to respect?

kids these days.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i still sit on the back of the bus but these fucking kids and their bullshit ass music playing off their silly little phone/ipod/electronic device and it drives me fucking nuts. ive, foolishly at times, have told these kids to turn it down. why? cause its too loud... cause the music sucks... because im in a mood for smackin ignorance around the back of the bus for a while. im on the bus for 30 blocks... after that you can do whatever the fuck it is you fucking want to do. the respect these kids have today is well its not there. no getting up from their seat. no moving out of the way of adults, handicap, me, etc. THESE FUCKING BACKPACKS WITH A MILLION FUCKING BOOKS IN THEM. put that shit on the ground between your legs... just keep that shit out the aisle. and the mouths on these kids. okay now i cuss often. too much... but these young girls, must be no older than 15, maybe younger, most likely younger, are talking about "im not gunna be mackin on that nigga no longer.." there are like 100 things wrong about that sentence. why? why are these kids affecting me so much? i hate them... really i do. not all of them... but a lot of them.

Parents not parenting. Even in Japan (of all places), public etiquette and manners are becoming a big deal. They even have those public service commercials now, with this dude eating a burger and blasting music through his earphones on the train. And people around him looking aggitated.

The message was "We are worrying about Japan's manners."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    one thing for sure. as time passes, you no longer feel like putting up with the same old bullshit. (and it really is the same old bullshit.) i find myself checking motherfuckers left and right. it's exhausting.

Co-sign. Combined with Profrockwell's "I'm a recluse for the most part".

I've BEEN a grumpy old man!

• dirtyboydirtyboy 16 Posts

Fuck beer, where's the fine wine!

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I was born a grumpy old man and my oldest son is one too...

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    does dealing with french people make you mad? it does for me...

look france, im already sending you the fucking record $50-75 less than what the low value goes for. the shit is mint and ISNT the promo which everyone has. im also sending you the shit with free shipping cause i was in a good mood the day i wrote that... but now you fucking piece of shit you want to fuck up my mood. "please wrap the record properly and secure it with extra packaging. send this AIRMAIL."

FUCK YOU BITCH

so ive decided im sending the 45 to him in a paper bag protected by NOTHING. if the record breaks... its worth it to me to have him not get it/get it broken and be out the few bucks i put into it.

i hate being nice. it ends now. tired of sending out records for free cause only half the time i get a thanks for the package. tired of dealing with folks at record shows asking for discounts... BITCH IVE NEVER SEEN YOU IN MY LIFE AND NOW YOU WANT A DISCOUNT? get the fuck away from my table.

...im going to go smoke. later...

• one thing for sure. as time passes, you no longer feel like putting up with the same old bullshit. (and it really is the same old bullshit.) i find myself checking motherfuckers left and right. it's exhausting.

Co-sign. Combined with Profrockwell's "I'm a recluse for the most part".

I've BEEN a grumpy old man!

and it sucks too, because I'm very social by nature.

• So, last night I'm hangin' out with my lady and she said she thinks I should stop being negative and complaining about things because stuff happens to everyone and not just me. This I can completely agree with. However, I have noticed over the years that I have been treated a whole lot different then other people and when I see "double standards" etc. I have questioned them lately. She told me things are they way they are and just let them be. I honestly just can not do that! The funny thing is my boy a fellow dj and I were talking a few days back and we said jesus listen to ourseleves we sound like some grumpy old men that sit around and complain and talk shit! It was pretty funny. But for example a club I have worked at for a year has all of sudden a no hat policy even for the dj. I'm cool with that. So I forgot about it and walk in with my hat on the other day and they ask me to remove it. Fine no worries. Another guy walks in 5 minutes later with a hat on and it's all good. No one says nothing to him at all! So I therfore questioned the club owner and management about it and they couldn't believe I was serious and made a stink over the situation. Oh believe me, I was dead serious! My girl asked why did this even bother me? Well I guess because after years and years of recieving similar treatment you simply get fed up with it? Maybe I am a grumpy old man! I sure feel like one!!! Lol........... One more example is there was a club and the guy that did the dj bookings was dj himself and he HAD to play even when a guest dj was booked. He informed me there were certain songs I was not allowed to play that were banned from the club such as "Lean back" and "Pass the couvissior". Once, again fine no worries (even though that was some b.s.). I noticed not only did he play both of those songs so did the other dj that was there a few weeks later. I played "Lean Back" the next time I was there and he about went through the roof!!! Now, what the fuck is up with that? Am I not allowed to question these types of actions? When I do, why does that make ME grumpy or bitter or complaining? I simply want an answer that would make me understand.

worst case,they dont like you

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

People are driving with their minds in the clouds, and gun it right through the stop sign, but wanna mean-mug me when I lay on the horn to wake their asses up? I wish I drove an old '74 Impala, then I'd gun it right into their front quarter panel. Let's not even talk about movie theaters. I've all but given up on them, with rude-ass knuckleheads talking loud throughout the film, and constant cellphone ringing. I find people annoying, and if I were younger, I might wanna swing on muthafuckas on some high school shit. I'm amazed at how people are so self-absorbed and can give a fuck about other folks. It's sad, yet makes me angry at the same time. Yep, I'ma grumpy old man!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

This is the shit that drives me crazy. People don't know how to drive and then wanna get mad at you when you do things the right way. Same when you are a pedestrian, and have the right of way and people driving act like you don't exist or follow the rules like the pedestrians oughta be doing! I got into an early morning shouting match with some guys in a garbage truck because I was walking out when my light turned green. They had a FULL RED LIGHT with traffic coming on all sides, they COULDN'T do anything but stop, but they proceed at full clip til they are now blocking the walkway, plus they woulda hit me if I hadn't been paying attention. Then they start in on ME! I told them to wake up, then proceeded to tell them to fuck off, that I had the right of way.

Count me in on the grumpy old man club, hell yes.

Oh, and all you high school kids out there, sit down, shut up and/or please speak in your inside voices on the goddam bus/train.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I qualify for this on all levels....

Seems to me that most folks walk around as if they are the star of their own private movie, totally oblivious as to what is going on around them.

That woman who is standing in the middle of the aisle of the Grocery Store blocking traffic from both directions and looking as if she is expecting Space Aliens to land right in front of her at any second. Totally clueless at what is happening around her.

That idiot driver who is on the phone, eating AND reading a map while causing wrecks all around due to non-signaled lane changes and constant brake riding.

That woman who talks to her kid on the regular, very loud and in public, sounding like an Alec Baldwin phone message. We CAN hear you and yes, we feel very sorry for your kid(s).

The Sunday driver who only ventures out on the road once a week to go to Church. This is NOT the way God wants you to save heathens by driving 10 mph so when I'm behind you I can't get to the beer store in a timely manner. I'm still gonna get my drink on, but now I'm gonna be pissed too!!

If you insist in starring in your own private mind garden movie stay at home and do it. Otherwise I'm gonna throw popcorn and Milk Duds at your ass next time I see you.

GOM.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I just turned 37 and I gotta say I've mellowed since my high school & college days when I'd tell people straight up that the music they were listening to totally sucked.

Now my complaints are pretty much limited to two things.

1. People who think "parking" means stopping your car ON TOP of the white lines. Get some glasses, motherfucker.

2. OH IM SORRY OFFICER I MADE A ROLLING STOP AT A STOPSIGN WHEN THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC ANYWHERE ON THE ROAD YES THIS WAS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS I TOTALLY DESERVE A $50 TICKET WITH $110 COURT COST AND A LOST DAY AT WORK TO KEEP IT OFF MY DRIVING RECORD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING A BREAK FROM CATCHING MURDERERS AND DRUG DEALERS SO YOU CAN KEEP THE CITY SAFE FROM MY MANIACAL DRIVING HABITS PS FUCK YOU PPS YEAH I JUST SAID THAT

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

2. OH IM SORRY OFFICER I MADE A ROLLING STOP AT A STOPSIGN WHEN THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC ANYWHERE ON THE ROAD YES THIS WAS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS I TOTALLY DESERVE A $50 TICKET WITH $110 COURT COST AND A LOST DAY AT WORK TO KEEP IT OFF MY DRIVING RECORD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING A BREAK FROM CATCHING MURDERERS AND DRUG DEALERS SO YOU CAN KEEP THE CITY SAFE FROM MY MANIACAL DRIVING HABITS PS FUCK YOU PPS YEAH I JUST SAID THAT

Hey Marco,

Sorry, but these "rolling stop-gun it" dudes from the side streets (uh, they have stop signs on ALL of the side streets) almost broadside me everyday on my way home (on a main road with the right-of-way). I have to nearly stop (again, I have the right-of-way, mind you) to see past cars parked on the street to make sure some fool isn't gonna "gun it" and slam into me. I gotta side with the cops on this one.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Sorry, but these "rolling stop-gun it" dudes from the side streets (uh, they have stop signs on ALL of the side streets) almost broadside me everyday on my way home (on a main road with the right-of-way). I have to nearly stop (again, I have the right-of-way, mind you) to see past cars parked on the street to make sure some fool isn't gonna "gun it" and slam into me. I gotta side with the cops on this one.

GET OUT OF THE WAY OLD MAN!