Grumpy Old Men stand up!

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

2. OH IM SORRY OFFICER I MADE A ROLLING STOP AT A STOPSIGN WHEN THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC ANYWHERE ON THE ROAD YES THIS WAS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS I TOTALLY DESERVE A $50 TICKET WITH $110 COURT COST AND A LOST DAY AT WORK TO KEEP IT OFF MY DRIVING RECORD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING A BREAK FROM CATCHING MURDERERS AND DRUG DEALERS SO YOU CAN KEEP THE CITY SAFE FROM MY MANIACAL DRIVING HABITS PS FUCK YOU PPS YEAH I JUST SAID THAT
    I already listed you stop sign rollers as people who make me grumpy. What do you not understand about STOP? Your going to be late for work because you came to a full stop? I can't believe the shite the cops have to put up with. You obviously have no respect for the law, you probably are a murederer or drug dealer.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

2. OH IM SORRY OFFICER I MADE A ROLLING STOP AT A STOPSIGN WHEN THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO TRAFFIC ANYWHERE ON THE ROAD YES THIS WAS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS I TOTALLY DESERVE A $50 TICKET WITH $110 COURT COST AND A LOST DAY AT WORK TO KEEP IT OFF MY DRIVING RECORD THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING A BREAK FROM CATCHING MURDERERS AND DRUG DEALERS SO YOU CAN KEEP THE CITY SAFE FROM MY MANIACAL DRIVING HABITS PS FUCK YOU PPS YEAH I JUST SAID THAT

I already listed you stop sign rollers as people who make me grumpy. What do you not understand about STOP? Your going to be late for work because you came to a full stop? I can't believe the shite the cops have to put up with. You obviously have no respect for the law, you probably are a murederer or drug dealer.

Even on a deserted downtown Raleigh street at 10pm (for headz that don't know the deal: downtown Raleigh becomes a ghost down at 5pm) with total visibility and no traffic? Sure I'll take a $10, $20, $30, or even $40 fine because I was in the wrong. But $160 and possible doubling of my monthly insurance premium which was fucking low due to no traffic tickets in over 8 years?? Fuck that. Punishment should fit the crime. GodDAMN!

Fuck, add one more to my list:

3. Old-ass Strutters chiding me on my driving

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Even on a deserted downtown Raleigh street at 10pm (for headz that don't know the deal: downtown Raleigh becomes a ghost down at 5pm) with total visibility and no traffic? Sure I'll take a $10, $20, $30, or even $40 fine because I was in the wrong. But $160 and possible doubling of my monthly insurance premium which was fucking low due to no traffic tickets in over 8 years?? Fuck that. Punishment should fit the crime. GodDAMN!

fight the ticket. if you lose, appeal. cops never show up to appeals and the judge will find in your favor.

ok, and this may not work for you because you were the only car on the road, but i am 4-4 on fighting my own traffic tickets using the following strategy:

the cop goes first, so if he testifies (if he doesnt you should win automatically), i start by asking him a few general questions about the day. where he was; how long he had been there; what the weather was like, etc. just basic questions that he should know, but if he got tripped up, could make him look bad. then i start asking him real specific questions that i know he is not going to remember. what other cars were on the road? when did you first observe my car? what was i doing? how far was my car from the other cars on the road? did you see another car near mine that was the same model??

so now, when its my turn to speak, i start by telling the judge that i am only fighting the ticket because there was misunderstanding here, as i did not run a red light, speed, go through a stop sign, etc. next, i start talking about ridiculously specific details from the day in question. what i was doing; where i was going; what the weather was like; what i was wearing; what the other cars were doing; the types of other cars; where i was when i got pulled over...bascically, all the specifics that he missed. assuming i got pulled over on a busy street, this is when it usually turns into game over. i mention how there were other cars similar to mine on the street (maybe you remember because someone had the identical model). then i end by saying that i'm not questioning whether the police officer's judgment, but this just appears to be a case of a misunderstanding. you might want to end by saying that there is nothing in the police officer's testimony or notes that would prove otherwise (he has the burdeon of proof).

depending on the judge, you have a good shot of winning. if not, appeal, and in almost every case, the cop doesnt show.

• Even on a deserted downtown Raleigh street at 10pm (for headz that don't know the deal: downtown Raleigh becomes a ghost down at 5pm) with total visibility and no traffic? Sure I'll take a $10, $20, $30, or even $40 fine because I was in the wrong. But $160 and possible doubling of my monthly insurance premium which was fucking low due to no traffic tickets in over 8 years?? Fuck that. Punishment should fit the crime. GodDAMN!

fight the ticket. if you lose, appeal. cops never show up to appeals and the judge will find in your favor.

ok, and this may not work for you because you were the only car on the road, but i am 4-4 on fighting my own traffic tickets using the following strategy:

the cop goes first, so if he testifies (if he doesnt you should win automatically), i start by asking him a few general questions about the day. where he was; how long he had been there; what the weather was like, etc. just basic questions that he should know, but if he got tripped up, could make him look bad. then i start asking him real specific questions that i know he is not going to remember. what other cars were on the road? when did you first observe my car? what was i doing? how far was my car from the other cars on the road? did you see another car near mine that was the same model??

so now, when its my turn to speak, i start by telling the judge that i am only fighting the ticket because there was misunderstanding here, as i did not run a red light, speed, go through a stop sign, etc. next, i start talking about ridiculously specific details from the day in question. what i was doing; where i was going; what the weather was like; what i was wearing; what the other cars were doing; the types of other cars; where i was when i got pulled over...bascically, all the specifics that he missed. assuming i got pulled over on a busy street, this is when it usually turns into game over. i mention how there were other cars similar to mine on the street (maybe you remember because someone had the identical model). then i end by saying that i'm not questioning whether the police officer's judgment, but this just appears to be a case of a misunderstanding. you might want to end by saying that there is nothing in the police officer's testimony or notes that would prove otherwise (he has the burdeon of proof).

depending on the judge, you have a good shot of winning. if not, appeal, and in almost every case, the cop doesnt show.

What a gelding

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

What a gelding

LOL!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I was born a grumpy old man...
    You too?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Imagine how much easier it would be to drive safely and observe driving laws. I guess those driver's ed videos have lost their sting. Dangerous driving kills folks. We just had a young child killed here in Milwaukee today, because some maniac passed outside the lines on the right side of a stopped car, striking the child dead-on. Let's look out for one another.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Imagine how much easier it would be to drive safely and observe driving laws. I guess those driver's ed videos have lost their sting. Dangerous driving kills folks. We just had a young child killed here in Milwaukee today, because some maniac passed outside the lines on the right side of a stopped car, striking the child dead-on. Let's look out for one another.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Why take responsibility for your actions when you can bullshit your way out of the punishment.

This is AMERICA baby!!

Laws are for the "stupid" people!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i'm still waiting for the day when i'm not almost killed at least once by some fucktard "driving" while talking on the cell phone.

as far as people yapping away on their phones in lines at the store or during movies...i just get in the middle of their conversation. i figure i'm forced to be a part of your goddamn phone call, i might as well get in my two cents.

i'm still waiting for the day when i'm not almost killed at least once by some fucktard "driving" while talking on the cell phone.

as far as people yapping away on their phones in lines at the store or during movies...i just get in the middle of their conversation. i figure i'm forced to be a part of your goddamn phone call, i might as well get in my two cents.

Truth

Everyday I see folks driving like idiots and more often than not they are on the phone.

I don't carry a cell phone nor can I ever imagine being important enough to need one, let alone use it while I'm driving!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

So this guys on the phone on the train "I'm heading to Gresham, give me a call at 503-285-32...." So I write down the number, but forget to call him.

I love Dave Barry's column about the first time he saw a hands free set. At the airport, guy at the urinal next to him is talking. First thought is guys psychotic. But then he realizes he is on the phone. He is standing next to this guy at the urinal and the guy is saying, "Don't worry, I've got my hand on the problem".

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    fuck everyone.

basically.

I'm having a real fucked up morning, topped off just minutes ago when I came back home with coffee carrying some packages. I was balancing the cup on them and when I unlocked the door it sent hot coffee splashing all in my face.

fuck.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I have many grumpy old man moments.

Cosign on the movie theater thing. I basically don't want anyone to sit near me at all. I get there early and I pick a good seat. Without fail, somebody always sits right in front of me or right behind me. I don't go on opening day. I wait until it's been out for a week or so. the theater isn't crowded. The entire row will be empty in front of me and they take the seats directly in front of me.
    I can't see movies right after they've opened because sitting next to people drives me nuts. They are always talking, eating loudly, doing something with their cell phone, or bumping into the back of my chair every 5 minutes. I saw a movie once and the person next to me sat there and texted for a long ass time (with a bright screen and loud clicking). I kept giving the death look, but it finally took my girlfriend saying "excuse me" to make the person stop, which was only temporarily. I guess she didn't realize the bright ass night light and clicking could be distracting.

Another thing that gets me is crosswalks and intersections. Much of it has been mentioned above, but I'd like to add the element of water. When it's raining why can't people in their dry, warm cars just stop and let you cross? I always see people look at me like "damnit, you're making me stop!" It probably adds about 2 seconds to their travel time, yet it makes a big difference to me standing in the rain. I was crossing a long crosswalk one day and this woman was coming down the street from a good distance. She definitely saw me, but had no inclination to stop. I hesitated for a moment, wondering if she were going to stop. She then slows a bit and I start to go, but she's still rolling at me. I stop again and she starts to go like "oh, cool, he's letting me go." I started again (it was that whole back and forth dance like when you go side to side with someone, trying to walk by them) and she is so unclear whether or not she's going to go. I eventually get pissed and yell a her "It's a crosswalk!" and she looks at me with this "fuck you" face and shrugs her shoulders. Not even a "oops, I'm sorry, it's raining, you have the right of way. I wasn't sure who was going." My question is, why would I stop in the rain to let a car go by?

Here are some other things that irk me and bring out the old man:

-when people on crowded sidewalks just stop right in front of you
    -people who are oblivious to their surroundings. Like when you are in the grocery store and they are taking up the whole aisle looking at something and you want to get by and they don't even budge or recognize you being there.
    -middle school kids.
    -this act is an old man response of it's own, but I hate the people who go to the post office and look at the line and start saying things out loud like "this is ridiculous" and then get on their cell phone and say shit like "yeah, I'm at the post office, the line is out the goddamn door and they've only got two people working." Then they start talking to other people in line like "can you believe this!?" Sometimes the post office is quick and easy, but is it really a surprise that theres a long line.
    -people who talk loud on public transportation.

-this act is an old man response of it's own, but I hate the people who go to the post office and look at the line and start saying things out loud like "this is ridiculous" and then get on their cell phone and say shit like "yeah, I'm at the post office, the line is out the goddamn door and they've only got two people working." Then they start talking to other people in line like "can you believe this!?" Sometimes the post office is quick and easy, but is it really a surprise that theres a long line.

Our local Post Office won't let you use a cell phone while waiting on line and have a sign posted saying so!!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    People in general annoy me.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Things that get my goat:

1. Anyone driving without basic regard to the rules of the road or people's safety... too many of them in the DC metro area

2. People waltzing around outdoors with those damn bluetooth earbuds, jabbering away like escapees from the mental asylum. I like to imagine they're really talking to themselves and there's noone on the other end.

3. People on the subway (grown folks even) who take up more than their fair share of the seat... move your big ass over 2 inches and give me some room dammit!

4. Impatient people who constantly interrupt me while I'm talking... either I talk too damn slow or you have ADD my friend.

yeah i'm an old fart too

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Why take responsibility for your actions when you can bullshit your way out of the punishment.

This is AMERICA baby!!

Laws are for the "stupid" people!!

you are talking about extremes. i wouldnt advocate arguing mistaken identity on a drunk driving case. however, the initial post was about getting pulled over for failing to wait long enough at a stop sign on a deserted road. i'd guess that most people violate minor traffic laws (to some degree) pretty much every time they drive. cops have quotas and end up fishing for bullshit violations to meet them. so considering its the govt's burden to prove that you violated the law, you dont have to lie in order to show that they lack evidence.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I have many grumpy old man moments.

Cosign on the movie theater thing. I basically don't want anyone to sit near me at all. I get there early and I pick a good seat. Without fail, somebody always sits right in front of me or right behind me. I don't go on opening day. I wait until it's been out for a week or so. the theater isn't crowded. The entire row will be empty in front of me and they take the seats directly in front of me.
    I can't see movies right after they've opened because sitting next to people drives me nuts. They are always talking, eating loudly, doing something with their cell phone, or bumping into the back of my chair every 5 minutes. I saw a movie once and the person next to me sat there and texted for a long ass time (with a bright screen and loud clicking). I kept giving the death look, but it finally took my girlfriend saying "excuse me" to make the person stop, which was only temporarily. I guess she didn't realize the bright ass night light and clicking could be distracting.

Another thing that gets me is crosswalks and intersections. Much of it has been mentioned above, but I'd like to add the element of water. When it's raining why can't people in their dry, warm cars just stop and let you cross? I always see people look at me like "damnit, you're making me stop!" It probably adds about 2 seconds to their travel time, yet it makes a big difference to me standing in the rain. I was crossing a long crosswalk one day and this woman was coming down the street from a good distance. She definitely saw me, but had no inclination to stop. I hesitated for a moment, wondering if she were going to stop. She then slows a bit and I start to go, but she's still rolling at me. I stop again and she starts to go like "oh, cool, he's letting me go." I started again (it was that whole back and forth dance like when you go side to side with someone, trying to walk by them) and she is so unclear whether or not she's going to go. I eventually get pissed and yell a her "It's a crosswalk!" and she looks at me with this "fuck you" face and shrugs her shoulders. Not even a "oops, I'm sorry, it's raining, you have the right of way. I wasn't sure who was going." My question is, why would I stop in the rain to let a car go by?

Here are some other things that irk me and bring out the old man:

-when people on crowded sidewalks just stop right in front of you
    -people who are oblivious to their surroundings. Like when you are in the grocery store and they are taking up the whole aisle looking at something and you want to get by and they don't even budge or recognize you being there.
    -middle school kids.
    -people who talk loud on public transportation.

Major cosignature on all of this stuff. But really, it just boils down to this:

People in general annoy me.

I remember when I first learned about misanthropy in school. I said, "Holy crap--that's me!"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Everyday I see folks driving like idiots and more often than not they are on the phone.

And it doesn't help that they are usually the ones with 3 neurons and zero awareness.

GRUMPY OLD MAN!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    classic. i hate this.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The post office and the grocery store are the same in that: they have 5 registers but its rare that more than 1 or 2 people are there working em. The line is always super long, seriously can't they hire more people? Its slower than the fuckin DMV in here. Everyday...

The Safeway down the street from my place, they only have plastic bags. Whats the hell? Its 2007, I gotta carry 9 little plastic bags w/ all of my groceries, would be easier to put it in 2 fuckin brown paper bags.

Don't get me started on automated telephone shit, I fucking hate you paypal.

But really, just the public in general, its just staggering how many complete morons are roaming around out there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Don't get me started on automated telephone shit, I fucking hate you paypal.

"Press 10 if you're fucking sick of hearing automated telephone menu options." I absolutely hate these systems. What in the hell happened to the humanistic aspect of customer service?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

(blah blah blah)

First of all, everyone always says that "the cop never shows up"
    garbage, and twice I have fought tickets, and the cop has shown
    up both times.

Second - you must not live around me, because in the traffic court
    in Boston you wouldn't get 10% of that bullshit out of your mouth
    before the judge told you to shut up and basicaly made it clear you
    would only hurt your chances of winning with every additional word
    that wasn't an answer to a direct question.

Now, in your defense from the muppets-in-the-balcony posts from
    Rockadelic and Stacks, just because someone is fighting a ticket
    doesn't mean they are trying to get away with wrongdoing - the two
    times I fought it was because the ticket was WRONG and I did not
    deserve it. If I had, I would have paid without question. But a $200
    ticket for "failing to yield to a crosswalk" when two kids ran out
    in front of my truck, NOT in a crosswalk, against the light in a 30MPH
    zone, causing me to swerve and lucky not to kill them, my heart pounding,
    well, getting pulled over and yelled at by a cop and having her give me
    the $200 violation was just too much. I had to miss two half-days at work
    and pay a $20 court fee just to get it thrown out and clear the record,
    but I guess it was worth it. The cop did a lot of lying in court, as well,
    and I was quite lucky to get it dismissed, as the judge was skeptical
    and as impatient with the cop as she was with me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

(blah blah blah)

having her[/b] give me the $200 violation was just too much.

I hate to be sexist but ladycops have "something to prove" and will always be the "supertroopers" of the police force. It sucks.

To the person who doesn't like long line objectors in the post office, here's a story that made me feel like I'm in bizarro world. I was at the post office recently, and this lady is asked by the clerk the standard "Anything hazardous, liquid, perishable" and she says "yes." He says "What's in it?" She says a bottle of... and then I couldn't hear what she mentioned. So since she is at the window, he has her open up the package so they could look at the bottle. Turns out it's a bottle of hydrogen peroxide[/b]. So I'm thinking to myself "Self, perhaps the lady just gotta send this bottle of peroxide to her Peace Corps sister in Gabon where it might be hard to pick up some hydrogen peroxide." 3 minutes later after she repackages the item and they've found out the percentage of hydrogen peroxide, he asks how she wants it sent. Then he gives her the options rundown, turns out she's sending it to her brother in Lakeville, IL.[/b] They don't got CVS's/Eckerd's/RiteAid's/Walgreen's to get Hydrogen Peroxide at out there?! So yeah, I'm

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    are you "old" and wanna feel "young"? work in a record store..because chances are at least once a day, some "really old" dipshit will come in and tell you that "you are too young to know about this type of music, but I am looking for (insert the name of a classic rock band that most people have heard about but to the "experienced music fan" in front of you, it is some crucial underground shit of "his" generation...like say, Procol Harum) then you say some shit like "Deram or Chrysalis releases?" and then he will stare at you dumbfoundly and say something akin too.."I knew you were too young to know what records are...Im looking for some old vinyl records, not compact discs"

figure this would be a beam of sunshine in your grumpy old lives