Moving Records "Down South" During Summer???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Hey Guys,I have a job visit with the College of Business at Florida State on May 10-12. Wifey has been bugging me a bit about how we could (safely with no melting) move records down to the hot-ass South during summer (if FSU comes correct wit' da bizness). I've only moved records away from the South, not down there. I figured you guys have some experience in this regard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Another related inquiry I have is, "What's the science on Piscataway, NJ?" I'll be talking with a faculty search committee member from Rutgers's Management and Industrial Relations School at a conference this weekend (in NYC). I'm not very knowledgeable about New Jeru, other than the gully-ass areas. Are the housing prices as awful as billed? Anything to do there? What's up? Again, I'll appreciate any info ya'll can spare.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    BSFK,

I don't have any particular experience with moving records en masse down south (other than the couple hundred or so I got on a trip with my digging potna a few years back) but the general moving advice goes double for trips that involve such heat.

1. Go with a company where the folks that put your belongings onto the truck are the same folks that take your belongings off of the truck...and make sure that it's the same truck! There are some sheisty companies that will mingle your rares with aunt fanny's moldy better homes and gardens, in the back of the truck. In every case, this will make it take longer to get your belongings back (which means more potential bakelite time in the back of the truck under the southern sun) and in a minority of cases, aunt fanny gets your shit and you get her mold and getting it straight will take weeks or months, and you don't want to deal with that shit.

2. Pack your records tightly into boxes that they fit into perfectly. The book boxes from the moving place worked well in my move. This will reduce the risks associated with heat-related warpage significantly. If there's nowhere for the records to move to, they are less likely to warp.

3. When you get your records at your destination, unpack them a.s.a.p. and get them back onto the player and into your expedit or whathaveyou. This will both speed up the acclimation process to your new surroundings AND dissipate any heat that they have built up during the move.

The less time they spend on that truck, the better. Hot southern sun or no hot southern sun.

I hope you get an irresisitble job offer, and the wifey finds something meaningful there as well.

Best,
    JRoot

PS Re FSU: Do you really want to surround yourself with idiots who do the tomahawk chop?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Stacks,

I moved a whole lot of records from NC to Arizona in June a few years back. Everything arrived safely. For the LPs and 12s, I packed them TIGHT into Home Depot medium sized moving boxes. These are a perfect fit, and you can fit about 150-175 records in each box. I taped them pretty tight, and those went in the moving truck. For the 45s, I used the boxes from bagsunlimited, and put those all in my car with me, with socks and shit like that on top to keep the heat from building up in the space between the 45s and the top of the box.

Good luck.

• Having relocated tens of thousands of records from Arizona, Palm Springs, Houston, Little Rock and other "hot" cities I have to tell you that you really have nothing to worry about. Records really only warp when the boxes are exposed to direct sunlight. Use a freight company that is bonded or use Fed Ex Ground, Bax Global or DHL. If you do not want bent corners double box the records. Pack the records tight so the boxes are like solid bricks. The biggest danger is seam spliting due to climate change. I cannot tell you how badly the jackets of LP's looked after bringing them from the dry dessert of Southern California to foggy Venice Beach. They jackets swelled up with moisture and you could watch the seems split as you sat in front of the records.