"A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" Drums Appreciation

2»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Hey,

I've been on a mission to buy all CDs of classic hip-hop LPs that I bought during the cassette era. "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" was my latest purchase on this mission (along with "4,5,6" by Kool G. Rap"). Anyway, I'm not sure if Mista Lawnge used all drum breaks, or did programming. The drums often had multiple drum parts, cymbals, or other percussive sample layered atop one another. I was impressed by how natural and funky the drum programming sounded throughout the CD. I was wondering has anyone else made this observation? The programming on this LP, to me, was a work-of-art given the time period (1991).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

this record made me go start digging.
    choice is yours was abslutely killing it toward the end of my high school days!!

drums are ridiculously dope all over the record.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I have to admit that I havent heard the new Mr.Lawnge record. I read it sounds like some 89 shit. Is that true, can soemone recomend that record ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I have to admit that I havent heard the new Mr.Lawnge record. I read it sounds like some 89 shit. Is that true, can soemone recomend that record ???

Peace
    Hawkeye

I'd love to be able to recommend it but unfortuantely it didn't really excite me as much as I'd hoped. It's alright but nothing more sadly. Maybe I need to give it another listen with out the inflated expectations.

The new Dres only Black Sheep album is very enjoyable though.

Yeah I heard the Dres LP, I liked a lot on that LP, but some hate it beacuse Lanwge was no part of the production process.

Peace

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the lawnge record is an ok listen. He kind of ruins the whole thing for me by having a song about how many girls he gets and all this sexual stuff then a few songs later having a song all about wifey and how she's the only one for him. kind of contradictory.

• Hey,

I've been on a mission to buy all CDs of classic hip-hop LPs that I bought during the cassette era. "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" was my latest purchase on this mission (along with "4,5,6" by Kool G. Rap"). Anyway, I'm not sure if Mista Lawnge used all drum breaks, or did programming. The drums often had multiple drum parts, cymbals, or other percussive sample layered atop one another. I was impressed by how natural and funky the drum programming sounded throughout the CD. I was wondering has anyone else made this observation? The programming on this LP, to me, was a work-of-art given the time period (1991).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

this record made me go start digging.
    choice is yours was abslutely killing it toward the end of my high school days!!

drums are ridiculously dope all over the record.

here's my question: is anybody familiar with the gear they used to put the album together?

the story i always heard was that the beats were made on a sampling mixer, two turntables, and a 16-track with some of the samples layered in live. no standalone sampler.

is this bullshit? i heard this from a credible source, but i've always wondered.

who knows the deal?

• kind of contradictory

Ha Ha yeah, Lawnge made me laugh out loud whilst driving in the car the other day.

On the non fiction album in the song Peace To The Niggas where he talks about "leave your guns and knives at home" and then in another breath says "because if you dont he will break out his Glock" !!!!!!!! Hilarious !!!!!!!!!!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    here's my question: is anybody familiar with the gear they used to put the album together?

the story i always heard was that the beats were made on a sampling mixer, two turntables, and a 16-track with some of the samples layered in live. no standalone sampler.

is this bullshit? i heard this from a credible source, but i've always wondered.

who knows the deal?

It's bullshit.
    Said he put the album together with a Gemini DJ Mixer sampler or some such shit. I remember the interview in an old Keyboard magazine issue (I have it in the archives somewhere). I later found out the interviewer called him early & woke him up. So Lawnge being pissed off/waking up on the wrong side of the bed just fed the guy a line of sarastic BS and it went to print.
    I still have no idea what gear was used on the album.
    Anything "layered in live" would have a feel more akin to I>Straight Out The Jungle/I> while I>Wolf In Sheeps Clothing/I> is pretty rock solid in it's sequencing.

Anything "layered in live" would have a feel more akin to Straight Out The Jungle while Wolf In Sheeps Clothing is pretty rock solid in it's sequencing

Right, there is nothing that sounds like it is layered live on top. All the sequencing on that LP is extremly tight done.

Peace

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    A-ight, just to beat this dead horse further (i'm not an animal luva, sorry)... finally got a chance to listen to "Flavor Of The Month" again after many years and refresh my memory. As I stated before, there's no noticeable chopping of the beats going on here. It's loops. Loops on top of loops, which may make it sound like there's some fly ass drum programming or chopping going on. Aw contrair mon fraer. Loops, loops and mo' loops. So speaketh the real schitt lord

We have a saying in Germany which goes "I have seen horses puke" which means that you believe something that is unbelievable.

In a way here it is the same.

I checked the whole Black Sheep LP again after some years now and I have to admit that those drums are extremly sounding like loops. I dont know every original source for every drums but Flava of the Month is a loop. To be correct there are 2 loops both 2 bars long.

Most time the first loop is playing. At 0.59 min the 2nd loop from "Upon this Rock" comes in the first time. Again it comes in at 1,49 min and 2,49 min 3.47 min.

If you listen closely to the hihat playing you can hear the diffrence between both loops. In the second loop the drummer is hitting the hihat harder on the 1 and the offbeat after the 1.
    Also he is not playing the first 16th after the 1. What he is doing on the mainloop which is used in the song.

So Phill you were right !!!!

I was wrong !!!!

Peace
    Hawkeye