Sly Stone re-releases: who's up on this

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
All the albums re-released remixed with outtakes. I've been waiting years to hear a proper cd mix of There's Riot. Anyone got this yet?

Comments

• I got the whole remastered box set[/b] coming in the mail.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Shit is cheap too. Like 8 bucks a CD.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    All the albums re-released remixed with outtakes. I've been waiting years to hear a proper cd mix of There's Riot. Anyone got this yet?

I suppose we all know the story about Sly and the groupies and the master tape issues. I wonder if anything could realistically be saved.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    says there's three unreleased instros on there.

• My buddy had one of Sly's amps that was supposedly used on this album. Blackface Fender Bandmaster with two extra 6L6s in it, he bought it off Sly's dealer who said he took it out of the studio when Sly refused to pay him. All hearsay but I love stories like that.

That shit is liner note worthy--when is Criterion gonna step their game up and do some digging on Sly?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

For some reason, the box-set doesn't seem to be set for a UK release, so us Brits have to cop 'em all individually. I got "Fresh" and "Stand" on the way from HMV, and I plan on scooping the others over the next month or so.

Funnily enough, I was talking with a couple of friends last night, and one of them recounted the master tape/groupie story, which he'd only just heard from a producer friend of his. Apparently, if you listen close to the backing vocals on "Family Affair", you can hear the tape-hiss. I've never done this, but I might give it a go over the weekend. According to my boy, the b.v's sound like they've been heavily gated to reduce any sibilance, with the result that any "s" sounds in the vocal itself are cut off.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    last summer i came across a comp that had some mid 60s loadstone singles on it i hadnt heard before, anyway theres a track called rock dirge on it too and it really sounds like some unreleased joint, heavy organ funk 45 demo typa thingy with beats... when you think you know stuff new shit pops up and this track blew my mind then!!!!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    last summer i came across a comp that had some mid 60s loadstone singles on it i hadnt heard before, anyway theres a track called rock dirge on it too and it really sounds like some unreleased joint, heavy organ funk 45 demo typa thingy with beats... when you think you know stuff new shit pops up and this track blew my mind then!!!!

picked this up a few months ago. it's great.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I've seen this comp pop up every now and then. Years ago, when I worked in a record store, I remember hearing it and not being too impressed. I'll probably buy this the next time I see it just because it's Sly. But what is the deal with that straight spoken-word rendition of "Deck Of Cards" (which was a hit for Wink Martindale)? No music, no nothing, just somebody telling the old fable about the soldier who sneaks a pack of playing cards into church?

In the meantime, I got Precious Stone on Ace, an excellent CD comp of early Sly demos and productions from the 1964-66 era. I think some of these tracks may have made it to the album pictured above.

I got the whole remastered box set[/b] right now

...the "unissued tracks" are no revelation, but even if you have the first seven albums, this is just a kickass package to own.

Too bad they don't have that rare French Fries single from '68 (which was Sly & the Family Stone's attempt to do a "Chipmunk" record, with speeded-up vocals and all)!

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

there's some really amazing stuff in the bonus tracks.
    also, with the box there's a bonus dvd with 2 "videos" put together with diff versions of m'lady and everybody is a star recorded in a studio instersperced with some great pics. wish they had just put the pictures by itself in a booklet or even have the option of looking at them by themselves on the dvd but i guess for $40 you can't complain.

these cd boxsets are getting me. especially the ones with the bonus dvds.
    the byrds one comes with a dvd of 10 tv performances and the donovan one comes with some documentary of him on a boat in greece. there's a soft machine cd called glides that comes with a dvd of some live tv performance. too bad the crosby one doesn't come with one of him getting wild with the spirits.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Sly Stone is scheduled to play here in the Bay Area this summer at a big music festival. ANyone want to take bets about whether he'll show up or not?

I'm listening to "Frisky" right now. This song has some of the weirdest phrasing this side of "Family Affair."

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

ok heres the organ + drums workout entitled rock dirge, i dont think the track was ever released before this comp came out....?

check it its

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    the unreleased tracks and extra takes on the reissue CDs are great (and highly sampleable, too)

here's a recent interview with rose stone

http://www.thefader.com/blog/articles/2007/04/17/q-a-rose-stone-of-the-family-stone

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

ok heres the organ + drums workout entitled rock dirge, i dont think the track was ever released before this comp came out....?

check it its

WOW! I fugured this was just old news for every one. I've had this LP for years and always thought Rock Dirge was great. I think I've seen it on another comp or a 45 or something I just can't remeber cuz it's been so long.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

check it its

WOW! I fugured this was just old news for every one. I've had this LP for years and always thought Rock Dirge was great. I think I've seen it on another comp or a 45 or something I just can't remeber cuz it's been so long.

I'm not at home rignt now to check, but I'm pretty sure Rock Dirge came out as a 45.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

I'm not at home rignt now to check, but I'm pretty sure Rock Dirge came out as a 45.

There's a 45. But it doesn't have the break.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

The 45 does in fact have all the breaks heard in the above LP track (I think it may only be missing a few seconds of the slow, middle organ vamp. I have a stone mint copy of sale. PM if interested.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The 45 does in fact have all the breaks heard in the above LP track (I think it may only be missing a few seconds of the slow, middle organ vamp. I have a stone mint copy of sale. PM if interested.

Is that on Woodstock or Lode/Loadstone?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Is that on Woodstock or Lode/Loadstone?

Woodstock

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

check it its

since I ve scooped the 45s I want offa this thing...PM me and Ill sell you my copy of this LP if anyone wants it.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

But what is the deal with that straight spoken-word rendition of "Deck Of Cards" (which was a hit for Wink Martindale)? No music, no nothing, just somebody telling the old fable about the soldier who sneaks a pack of playing cards into church?

Seriously. Can someone explain this one?

But what is the deal with that straight spoken-word rendition of "Deck Of Cards" (which was a hit for Wink Martindale)? No music, no nothing, just somebody telling the old fable about the soldier who sneaks a pack of playing cards into church?

Seriously. Can someone explain this one?
    I only heard this track ONCE, but from my dim recollection, it didn't even sound like Sly, just some elderly John Houseman-ish white guy...

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

I only heard this track ONCE, but from my dim recollection, it didn't even sound like Sly, just some elderly John Houseman-ish white guy...

You remember correctly. This track inclusion will haunt me forever.

If anyone has info on this, please post.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

I also thought this was one of those "everyone's up on it" breakbeat records. I've sold like 5 copies of this through the store. Also worth checking on there is "Life Of Fortune And Fame," freaked recently on

as well as that Large Pro "Rhymania" joint.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

You remember correctly. This track inclusion will haunt me forever.

If anyone has info on this, please post.

i got this record off some hippie dude years ago, and he was trying to tell me this record was a bootleg of live recordings that were aired on the radio...but then some of the tracks came out previously as singles. so who knows.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Family Stone Experience, the revival act w/o Sly:

There are also some Charley cds from the UK that have some possibly unreleased tracks;

AND has anybody checked the raer 1st press of the 'Fresh" cd? Crazy alternate mixes.

• liner notes:

judging from sly's musical chronology it is evident his blues roots are felt as ever present but are set to a different musical context then his contemporaries of the early 60s. sly set about utilizing his various vocal influences against a background of his own musical (band) innovations....his coupling of the heavy bass that adds a tremendous bottom against the timbre of the horn section creates an aura of excitement yet to be matched in live performance...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    dudes, im loving this thread, and wanna keep checking it, but do we have to quote that picture 20 times??