Sly Stone re-releases: who's up on this

2»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    liner notes:

judging from sly's musical chronology it is evident his blues roots are felt as ever present but are set to a different musical context then his contemporaries of the early 60s. sly set about utilizing his various vocal influences against a background of his own musical (band) innovations....his coupling of the heavy bass that adds a tremendous bottom against the timbre of the horn section creates an aura of excitement yet to be matched in live performance...

Whoever wrote this should have locked the thesaurus in the drawer. Holy shit, is that ever hard to read!

• I'm not at home rignt now to check, but I'm pretty sure Rock Dirge came out as a 45.

There's a 45. But it doesn't have the break.

The 45 does in fact have all the breaks heard in the above LP track (I think it may only be missing a few seconds of the slow, middle organ vamp. I have a stone mint copy of sale. PM if interested.

Is that on Woodstock or Lode/Loadstone?

Woodstock

Woodcock[/b] no

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    On a slightly related note i've been trying to find a copy of Sly's High Energy Lp. Whats the story is it raer? or am i a lil dude who just can't find it?

On a slightly related note i've been trying to find a copy of Sly's High Energy Lp. Whats the story is it raer? or am i a lil dude who just can't find it?

All High Energy is is just a straight double reissue of two of his lesser-known albums (I wanna say A Whole New Thing and Life). Unless you need to have it in this edition, there's nothing here that can't be gotten elsewhere.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I'm not at home rignt now to check, but I'm pretty sure Rock Dirge came out as a 45.

There's a 45. But it doesn't have the break.

The 45 does in fact have all the breaks heard in the above LP track (I think it may only be missing a few seconds of the slow, middle organ vamp. I have a stone mint copy of sale. PM if interested.

Is that on Woodstock or Lode/Loadstone?

Woodstock

Woodcock[/b] no

Hah! You fell for it.

(kidding)

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Family Stone Experience, the revival act w/o Sly:

There are also some Charley cds from the UK that have some possibly unreleased tracks;

AND has anybody checked the raer 1st press of the 'Fresh" cd? Crazy alternate mixes.

Yea, I'm wondering if the "alternate mixes" on the re-issue CD are these. The talk before was that these mixes were on the inital Canadian release (maybe Europe only)...not sure.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Oh word thanks for the heads up. I was just trying to track down that track that skinnyman sampled for his track I'll Be Suprised.

• Family Stone Experience, the revival act w/o Sly:

There are also some Charley cds from the UK that have some possibly unreleased tracks;

AND has anybody checked the raer 1st press of the 'Fresh" cd? Crazy alternate mixes.

Yea, I'm wondering if the "alternate mixes" on the re-issue CD are these. The talk before was that these mixes were on the inital Canadian release (maybe Europe only)...not sure.

Someone posted this on the 'strut a long time ago. I believe he said he'd picked his up in Japan somehow. In fact, the way he told the story it sounded like he stumbled upon it.

I've got a copy I'll post tonight if nobody else does during the day.
    Is the alternative mix of Fresh being reissued as well? If so, would it be a bad look to post it?

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    BTW, it's not THAT cool. Noticably different, but not "better". I managed to get one when a guy returned one to the store I was searching on the day it was recalled. He said it wasn't the version he grew up with. Picked it up "used".

• Oh. o.k.

• Who has the quadraphonic mixes? Even better is who has the mixes broken up into individual tracks?

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    Which ones were released in Quad? I think I have Greatest Hits at home. I don't remember it as sounding that different. Of course, I don't have the 4-speaker set-up...

Which ones were released in Quad? I think I have Greatest Hits at home. I don't remember it as sounding that different. Of course, I don't have the 4-speaker set-up...

Yeah, I think you need a full quad system for a quad record to make a difference.