Cornell Campbell recommendations?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I've only heard a few songs by him but like what I've heard so does anyone have any specific recommendations?

Comments

• I like inspector general on imperial, the self titled on Trojan is good, I shall not remove on blood and fire is a good comp if your not looking for og's- those are all lp's, singles are really the way to go, if your looking for more than just an overview.

Queen of the minstrals is reggae classic status.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    at first I thought that read 'Colonel Campbell'

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    man i cant wait for your imminent banning.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    besides a newish comp that wasn't very good. I don't think there are any bad Cornell Campbell lp's. But the dude that said the 45's are the way to go was absolutely right. Some amazing stuff

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    man i cant wait for your imminent banning.
    I hope its announced in FULL CAPS

• Brian,

Get that Blood and Fire Comp--as dude mentioned, it's really nice and a great introduction.

"Boxing" is one of my all-time favorite songs in any genre. It's so simple! And his "You're No Good" is haunting and beautiful. His falsetto just kills me.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    The Gorgon....
    paychizzle got that nizzle.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    "King in my Empire" on Rhythm & Sound from a couple of years ago. highly recommended!

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    He's responsible for two of my favourite roots tracks

Two Face Rasta
    &
    Bandulu ft Ranking Dread

both on the Blood & Fire comp

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I like inspector general on imperial, the self titled on Trojan is good, I shall not remove on blood and fire is a good comp if your not looking for og's- those are all lp's, singles are really the way to go, if your looking for more than just an overview.

Queen of the minstrals is reggae classic status.

This is good info, cosign on Queen of The Minstral, I've got that one on Studio One 7" ESSENTIAL!
    I haven't heard anything bad from Cornell so cop anything you see, I know I do.

http://www.roots-archives.com/artist/47

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    "Rope In"
    "Jah Jah Me No Horn Yah" -- maybe in my reggae top 10
    "girl of my dreams"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HUGE cosigns on You're No Good and Rope In.

You should check for his first few LPs, namely the self-titled one and the two Greenwich Farm LPs.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I don't think there are any bad Cornell Campbell lp's. But the dude that said the 45's are the way to go was absolutely right.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thanks guys

the first track i heard from him actually was "you're no good" which an***ra sent to me. anyone happen to have that available on mp3 or want to sell me the 45?

• thanks guys

the first track i heard from him actually was "you're no good" which an***ra sent to me. anyone happen to have that available on mp3 or want to sell me the 45?

That 45 was re-issued a few years as part of the whole Trojan/lots of other labels reissues. Really nice clean LOUD pressing, too. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thanks guys

That 45 was re-issued a few years as part of the whole Trojan/lots of other labels reissues. Really nice clean LOUD pressing, too. Shouldn't be too hard to find.
    oh cool. i didn't really look too hard for it earlier but now i will. thanks!

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    "The Stars" is kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiller.