Is there a Don HO thread?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
His Tv show was that shit in the 70's. Spin the bottle...... R.I.P.

Comments

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    It's all over the news and papers out here. Dude was doing his thing right up until the end - he played a show last Thursday to a sold-out crowd and a standing ovation.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It's all over the news and papers out here. Dude was doing his thing right up until the end - he played a show last Thursday to a sold-out crowd and a standing ovation.

I had read that on the Star Bulletin, and that broke my heart. I never got a chance to see him live, yet I remember always going to Waikiki and seeing the Hilton Hawaiian Village sign which said, right below it, "Home Of Don Ho".

I will say this. Don Ho seemed more approachable than Jack Lord ever was. The one time I saw Jack Lord was after the series was canceled. I was at Ala Moana on the bus stop side looking down Ke'eaumoku, and I'm not sure what's there now, but there used to be a great fast food place on the corner's called Jon's. Ono hamburger, curry stew, all of them. I was walking around and a limo stopped right there. Here he was, in his white outfit and hat, looking tall (I was 10 or 11, so for me he appeared bigger than life), and was ghostly white. It was scary, because people would show respect by not being all maha'oe, but you didn't even want to look. It's not unlike those old stories where if royalty walked the streets, you best be below his feet or else. He looked nothing like the cool guy who would say Book 'Em. All he did was just walk around, as if he wanted to have attention. No one hounded him for autographs or anything, it was just weird, as if he was saying "I am Jack Lord, bow down lowlifes."

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I had read that on the Star Bulletin, and that broke my heart. I never got a chance to see him live, yet I remember always going to Waikiki and seeing the Hilton Hawaiian Village sign which said, right below it, "Home Of Don Ho".

I will say this. Don Ho seemed more approachable than Jack Lord ever was. The one time I saw Jack Lord was after the series was canceled. I was at Ala Moana on the bus stop side looking down Ke'eaumoku, and I'm not sure what's there now, but there used to be a great fast food place on the corner's called Jon's. Ono hamburger, curry stew, all of them. I was walking around and a limo stopped right there. Here he was, in his white outfit and hat, looking tall (I was 10 or 11, so for me he appeared bigger than life), and was ghostly white. It was scary, because people would show respect by not being all maha'oe, but you didn't even want to look. It's not unlike those old stories where if royalty walked the streets, you best be below his feet or else. He looked nothing like the cool guy who would say Book 'Em. All he did was just walk around, as if he wanted to have attention. No one hounded him for autographs or anything, it was just weird, as if he was saying "I am Jack Lord, bow down lowlifes."

Big Hawaii five-0 fan...Mother fuckin Jack Lord!!!!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    "Tiny Bubbles"..............RIP

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RIP

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

R.I.P.

For anyone who is interested, my podcast this week is dedicated to Don Ho:
    http://booksmusic.podomatic.com/

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    My hommie Dent lived in Honolulu for years with his family when he was younger. His father was a pro golf player and would help design golf courses and teach private lesson there when he was not on the PGA tour. Dent got a job as one of Don Ho's background singers and sang with him for years. Dent said that Don Ho was a great guy. The kind of guy that would buy you a drink at the bar and talk about the old days on Oahu. My hommie had nothing but good things to say about Don Ho.

R.I.P.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

Big Hawaii five-0 fan...Mother fuckin Jack Lord!!!!

r.i.p. Zulu

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

r.i.p. Zulu

b/w

failedquinnmartinmovietoVHSraer

b/w

failedquinnmartinmovietoVHSraer

I heard of that one, but never saw it.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

R.I.P. Don Ho (from al harrington aka Ben)

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    anyone on this board go to the Don Ho Sunset Farewell Celebration? i wanted to go so bad but i had to go to my cousin's wedding. folks i talked to said that it was "nuts bah".

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

R.I.P. Don Ho (from al harrington aka Ben)

sidenote: copper nickel backs al on that record. braeks too yo!