MMA Heads (Lindland-Fedor SPOILER)...

Comments

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    Dana White announced the other day that they signed a deal with HBO and will have a UFC on there by the summer. HBO is using there own production staff and announcers though, so expect it to look much more like HBO Boxing. I know you all will miss the Gladiator/Heavy Metal intro.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    their own announcers?

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    I'm ok with Kellerman doing the announcing. I've heard him talk about MMA and he seems to be up on things. But I don't know who else they can get. Lampley and Letterman have publically blasted the UFC and low class and savage so I doubt they'll be on board. One rumor is Kellerman and Lennox. Which is yeah,

Lennox.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    former HBO Sports president Seth Abraham actually compared MMA to "naked boxing" and said that MMA would tarnish HBO's boxing heritage

Naked boxing! haha.

opposed to providing detached, objective commentary

The commentators and production team are just as important as the fight cards, imo.

But overall, I think Dana White definitely knows what he's doing. If anything, this HBO deal will continue to increase exposure for UFC (MMA) and hopefully broaden its viewing audience.

I think with time a lot more people will start to recognize its legitimacy as a sport, not just some WWF shit.

I think with time a lot more people will start to recognize its legitimacy as a sport, not just some WWF shit.

that said, this sport will (sadly) never know the popularity of WWF in this country.

that said, this sport will (sadly) never know the popularity of WWF in this country.

hahaha. Probably so. I was channel surfing the other night, and I realized its appeal. It's kinda like stress relief for fighters and fans alike. "ahhhh! (fake karate chop) ohhh! (fake foot stomp)" without the violence.

Yea that KO by Randleman was pretty sick. His explosiveness is top notch. I even thought Shogun was in trouble in those first few seconds. I'd like to see like a Sokoujou vs Randleman.

Yea that KO by Randleman was pretty sick LUCKY.

Yea that KO by Randleman was pretty sick LUCKY.

I don't think it was lucky. I think it was that Mirko wasn't taking him very seriously the first time around.

OH FUCK OH FUCK OH FUCK!

Joe Rogan and Randy Courture were right. That this fight was gonna be close.
    Mirko was looking mad tentative to start the fight off. He looked like he didn't know how to attack Gonzaga. Standup, he was scared to take one of Gonzaga's one-hit KO punch, and he sure can't take him down. That fight was executed to perfection by Gonzaga.

I guess the rule holds true for any sport. The aggressor usually wins.

MAD UPSETS THIS YEAR.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCK.

Haven't seen a KO like that in a while. That was a VERY dangerous KO. The way he just got knocked out stone cold was scary. He looked dead. DAMN.

I'm still in shock.

• WOW WOW WOW!

You know it's bad when you get kicked in the head and you almost break your ankle!

wow.. man Crocop does NOT look right in that octagon. I can't believe they said he doesn't train in the cage. WOW .. i'm shocked. How bad did that fuck up Dana's plans????????

i'm still in shock.

WAR RANDY!

It's Official: 2007 - YEAR OF THE UPSET.

You know it's bad when you get kicked in the head and you almost break your ankle!

Those elbows really softened him up, and then the DEVASTATING head kick. And then the pounds to make sure he's dead. That was one of the most gruesome KOs I've ever seen. I'm almost traumatized.

It's those elbows. Mirko, who for the most part locked up Fedor with the ground and pound, couldn't do shit against the elbows. But really this match proved that "Best Striker" really doesn't mean shit in MMA. Once he gets taken down, Mirko is pretty useless. He was exposed, what can you say.

I think we may be seeing the end of an era.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    FUCK I shouldn't have read Drez's post!!!!!!

I still gotta see this shit. I can't believe Crocop got KO'd - by a kick no less

I was in TOTAL SHOCK for a couple seconds. STILL BLOWING MY MIND.

FUCK THIS, I'M GOING FOR A FEW DRINKS. THIS SHIT IS NOT COOL.

• sindiansindian 68 Posts
    I was in TOTAL SHOCK for a couple seconds. STILL BLOWING MY MIND.

I'm still getting over it. Not as traumatic as Serra-GSP for me though. I guess I'm getting used to the upsets.

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    My gut feels nasty from looking at Cro Cop's foot facing the wrong way when he fell. But dude got up and walked off on what looked like a career ending ankle/knee injury

• Man, I don't know these guys... but I'm really a little bummed out. I'm just shocked still. It was a sad site. Wow, i'm still shocked. Things are gonna be real different this year.

• It's Official: 2007 - YEAR OF THE UPSET.

The trend started with Rich Franklin in late '06, but this year alone (nicked from elsewhere):

Rogerio Nogueira
    Takanori Gomi
    Wanderlei Silva
    Tim Sylvia
    Georges St. Pierre
    Ricardo Arona
    Mirko Cro Cop

And all of Dana White's best-laid plans are goin' agley: now there's no Couture-Cro Cop fight, GSP lost, he no longer has Franklin as the All-American Poster Boy, and Cro Cop and Heath Herring--two huge acquisitions from Pride--have provided less than stellar results.

Couture-Maine-iac worked out the way he wanted, but damn...is Chuck gonna lose to Rampage next month?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Damn.

He took a pretty good beating before that. He didn't look like he was in it 100% from the start. You could see he wasn't even EXPECTING THAT SHIT and was bracing for a kick to the ribs then - BOOM - lights out. What an upset.
    My wife was cringing when he went down on that leg. I'm surprised he didn't do some serious damage.

I might have to come out the pocket for Liddell/Jackson...

...is Chuck gonna lose to Rampage next month?

one can only hope...

saying. I got a (begruding) love for Chuck and all but can't say I would be mad at that outcome!

Once he gets taken down, Mirko is pretty useless. He was exposed, what can you say.

yeah. look the KO was brutal but I was not *shocked* in the same way some people on here purport to be. I was *shocked* as I would be at any such brutal finish, but not because it was cro-cop that knocked out. dude has always had his limitations (see Hunt, Nogeuria). that said, we was/is(?) one of the best kickers in the business.

still....

It's Official: 2007 - YEAR OF THE UPSET.

• Once he gets taken down, Mirko is pretty useless. He was exposed, what can you say.

yeah. look the KO was brutal but I was not *shocked* in the same way some people on here purport to be. I was *shocked* as I would be at any such brutal finish, but not because it was cro-cop that knocked out. dude has always had his limitations (see Hunt, Nogeuria). that said, we was/is(?) one of the best kickers in the business.

I was shocked in the sense that Gonzaga basically stole his move. It'd be like Elmer Fudd saying "What's up, Doc?" to Bugs Bunny. You expect the line, but the players involved are reversed.

BTW:

• well.. we can talk about super wang crying like samurai.

• i heard someone yell
    come on big wang
    before the fight

?

aaaahh uuuuhhh aaaaaaahhhhhh uuhh aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh uuhh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• BJ: "You promise me, Brah?"

Damn, Andy was lame! What a boring-ass fight. I was kinda disappointed in Melendez's performance, too, but I guess he was waiting for Wang to go for the takedown. Good job on cutting the weight, though.

I'm looking forward to next week's show. On the previews, one of BJ's team members insulted Tony DeSouza (that crazy-looking Potagee coach) by saying, "You're missing a chromosome!" Then they cut to a shot of DeSouza on dude's back, grinding an elbow into the back of his neck.