Kurt Vonnegut Dies at 84

2»

Comments

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    RIP to one of the contemporary greats.

Think I must have read some of his stuff in school, but I really only had a real appreciation for him this year when I read Slaughterhouse-Five. I must have made 10 people read the backwards airplane bombing part. So my question is where to go next, what are some peoples favorites (just finished Kesey's 'Sometimes A Great Notion, another good strut recommendation, and I'm ready for something else)

• RIP to one of the contemporary greats.

Think I must have read some of his stuff in school, but I really only had a real appreciation for him this year when I read Slaughterhouse-Five. I must have made 10 people read the backwards airplane bombing part. So my question is where to go next, what are some peoples favorites (just finished Kesey's 'Sometimes A Great Notion, another good strut recommendation, and I'm ready for something else)

I hate to say that i am pretty much in the same place.

I started with Cat's Cradle then had Breakfast of Champions hanging around and knocked that out quick. Now it's Slaugherhouse.

RIP. I was pretty sad about this...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't read much by him, but I really like that story, mostly because I like stories with hopes involved -- whether crushed or realized. Are the other ones from that book as good?

It's been about 5-6 years since I last read it, but I recall it being quite solid throughout. But then, I love just about all of his work based on style, ideology and creativity, so I wasn't really reading with my critical eye.

Just start picking up softcover copies of his books. You won't regret it. Find a beach or a lawn somewhere and get your read on.

Yup, I just said that.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    O Happy Rabo Karabekian is very sad today.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    all beaver and dirt star doodles aside, i think the most effective piece of wisdom i got from kv is to 'notice when i am happy' from man without a country. also this is a weird celebrity death for me because i can't help but celebrate his sense of humor all the while feeling slightly sad about his death. brain damage from a fall is pretty fucking sad, even if he was old.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Let's not forget that Kurt was movie star as well.

• "Harrison Bergeron" was my shit back in the day.

This news hurt, that's for sure.

Make me young!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Some good stuff here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9567370

Can we get a Terry Gross gramelin?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i have a really dope book of short stories.

?

yup, "welcome to the monkey house." it's been a while... i should dig it out and re-read.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    RiP.

Great Writer. I never read a book by him that I did not like. Huge loss.
    I had a chance to meet him when Time Quake came out, but I passed.

• Some kid at state forensics (nerd alert!) had this sewn onto his shirt today. I only hope he knew...

• Some kid at state forensics (nerd alert!) had this sewn onto his shirt today. I only hope he knew...

i'm sure he did...