This Jonestown Doc on PBS is FACEMELT

2»

Comments

• not to take away from the tragedy, but does anyone have any audio of the jonestown band/singers, they sounded kinda funky in the PBS doc.

• not to take away from the tragedy, but does anyone have any audio of the jonestown band/singers, they sounded kinda funky in the PBS doc.

I agree with this 100%, as well...i would scoop up that record in heartbeat.

• Watched this last night and I'm still reeling. The massacre happened when I was 7 and I remember hearing about it, but damn, there was so much I didn't know.

This is one of the most moving documentaries I've seen. I can't recommend it highly enough, but prepare to be shocked and depressed.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    not to take away from the tragedy, but does anyone have any audio of the jonestown band/singers, they sounded kinda funky in the PBS doc.

I agree with this 100%, as well...i would scoop up that record in heartbeat.

Yes, that one lady singing on the last night at the party when the congress dude was there was awesome.

I saw this special twice actually. I remember seeing one of the first movies or docu-dramas made
    ( probably from the 80's) when I was 11 or 12. Shit tripped me out but was very intriguing. I kinda thought I knew all there was to know about this. Then after reading the posts here I remembered seeing Jones Jr. on Oprah several years ago. They went back to Jonestown on the oprah special. Jim Jr's first time back since the massacre. They reported that everything had been bulldozed, but after diggin around in the jungle a bit they started finding pieces of broken memories. They uncovered a metal vat under a tree and eldued to the possible fact that it could have been one used that day to make the drink..though I hardly think that evidence of that nature would have just been buried and left behind.

Anyhow, I thought the PBS special was haunting and true. It was cool to hear from the surivors as well.

Im going to see if I can find more info from the oprah show and what they found when they were there. I believe jim jones sons were away that day for a basketball game or something?? And the Govt. sent in 1,000 body bags but ( someone, maybe Carter??) thought that body bags were disrespectful and had wooden boxes sent down instead...I dunno, going off memory. Let me double check that fact...it was something to that effect.

Maybe it wasnt Oprah, maybe it was 20/20 or dateline or something like that because now I cant find it. I'll keep looking.......

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Wasn't really feeling this. There was so much info left out that it seemed incomplete.

If you want to know about more about Jonestown I recomend this:

Seductive Poison

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    5 thought it was pretty good, but it did end very abruptly (not trying to be funny there). The fact that they didn't show any of the aftermath or investigation left me really un-satisfied. It was incredibly sad though, my wife had to leave the room when they started showing pics of all the kids while playing the tape of Jones telling the mother not to cry and all that. The whole thing is just so insane, you couldn't make it up if you tried.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    http://www.whale.to/b/jonestown.html

Jonestown

The Jonestown Genocide by Robert Sterling

Jonestown (Project Blue) : The Whole Story by Gunther Russbacher

Militia Leader Talks, Bo Gritz Interrogated by Adam Parfrey

[1995] Who Was Jim Jones? By Jason Jeffrey

Chapter Three [ THE FALSE MEMORY HOAX] Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. By Alex Constantine

Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment?: A Review of the Evidence by Michael Meiers

WHAT THE MEDIA WON'T TELL YOU: JIM JONES WAS A CIA OPERATIVE CONDUCTING MIND CONTROL EXPERIMENTS

Is any scenario too outlandish for conspiracy theorists? How about:

Jim Jones Was The Secret Half-Brother Of Herv?? Villechaize Who Was Murdered Decades Later Because He Was Going To Tell The Local Paper That He Was The Secret Half-Brother Of Jim Jones by Hieronymus Clapptrapp

or

The Jonestown/Sal?? Connection: What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know, as told to the half-brother of the second-nephew of the cousin of the author by the cousin of an extra in Pasolini's classic film

or

Children Of Satan V: Electric Kool-Aid Boogaloo by Adolphus Noodlenoggin

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    That .flac that was already posted is definitely worth a listen. It's spooky as hell.

The truth is out there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Jonestown

Chapter Three [ THE FALSE MEMORY HOAX] Psychic Dictatorship in the U.S.A. By Alex Constantine

Was Jonestown a CIA Medical Experiment?: A Review of the Evidence by Michael Meiers

WHAT THE MEDIA WON'T TELL YOU: JIM JONES WAS A CIA OPERATIVE CONDUCTING MIND CONTROL EXPERIMENTS

Jim Jones Was The Secret Half-Brother Of Herv?? Villechaize Who Was Murdered Decades Later Because He Was Going To Tell The Local Paper That He Was The Secret Half-Brother Of Jim Jones by Hieronymus Clapptrapp

or

The Jonestown/Sal?? Connection: What The Government Doesn't Want You To Know, as told to the half-brother of the second-nephew of the cousin of the author by the cousin of an extra in Pasolini's classic film

or

I don't understand why a smart guy like HC buys into this stuff. They killed 900 people to keep a CIA mind control test secret. It is already known that the CIA and Army Intellegence does mind control tests. It's already known that we gave soldiers lsd and other drugs to see the effects. We know today that we are commiting torture and the president has oked it. But that's not sensational enough. It has to include lizard people and Jewish cabals for these conspiracy theorists to be interested.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I don't understand why a smart guy like HC buys into this stuff. They killed 900 people to keep a CIA mind control test secret. It is already known that the CIA and Army Intellegence does mind control tests. It's already known that we gave soldiers lsd and other drugs to see the effects. We know today that we are commiting torture and the president has oked it. But that's not sensational enough. It has to include lizard people and Jewish cabals for these conspiracy theorists to be interested.

Yes. Exactly. The CIA/crack link is pretty hard to doubt, as well. And that Frontline piece on the Meth Trade (and our govt's role in it) is sobering stuff from a trustworthy source. On the flip side: All the goop in these goofy theories makes the actual truth unpalatable to the general public - the exact folks that need to be swayed in the right direction.

Back on topic: This documentary was very effective. I had no idea that there was so much file footage. Recommended for all conscientious human beings.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just passed on a People's Church Choir LP sealed $30 a couple of weeks ago. Did I pass on gospel heat?

• I just passed on a People's Church Choir LP sealed $30 a couple of weeks ago. Did I pass on gospel heat?

the stuff in the doc was pretty dope...given the novelty value alone, that might have been a good pick up.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    sobering stuff from a trustworthy source.

Here's a sad little fact. This is a quote from our internal news blast:

"For the fourth consecutive year, a GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media poll shows Americans consider PBS the nation???s most trusted institution among nationally known organizations. In the latest poll, 49% of respondents trust PBS a great deal, far outdistancing the runner-up, courts of law, which are trusted a great deal by 27%.[/b]"

I didn't think 49% was particularly good until I found out it was nearly double the second place tally, which is the American justice system.

I think this says far more about America and the failures of our public institutions than it does about PBS.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Jonestown

or

or

Whatever you want to think is the truth to you.

I just passed on a People's Church Choir LP sealed $30 a couple of weeks ago. Did I pass on gospel heat?

the stuff in the doc was pretty dope...given the novelty value alone, that might have been a good pick up.

I don't get why people are saying the band/singer were so hot. They were playing a semi-decent cover of "That's The Way Of The World" and the singer didn't even seem to know the lyrics completely. Poignant, yes, but there were probably better bands in every Holiday Inn lounge in 1978.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I don't get why people are saying the band/singer were so hot. They were playing a semi-decent cover of "That's The Way Of The World" and the singer didn't even seem to know the lyrics completely. Poignant, yes, but there were probably better bands in every Holiday Inn lounge in 1978.

asstro, did you see that thing on Mexico '68 on espn. I guess Smith and Carlos bought two pair of gloves and then forgot to bring one of the pair t the awards ceremony. The aussie who got the bronze/silver? suggested they just split the pair. Hence the right and left hand salute. It's always interesting to see that characters you can't imagine being sympathetic or involved are down for the cause.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I've always passed on Charles Manson and Hitler records. I would probably pass on the People's Church as well.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I've always passed on Charles Manson and Hitler records. I would probably pass on the People's Church as well.

Despite the bad dismount I don't think Jones was a hater at heart. I may be wrong here but I think the People'e Church started on some righteous terms. Anti-racist, anti-capitalist etc. Someone else got some more info on this.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Despite the bad dismount I don't think Jones was a hater at heart. I may be wrong here but I think the People'e Church started on some righteous terms. Anti-racist, anti-capitalist etc. Someone else got some more info on this.

Yes, then Jim Jones flipped out with conspiracy theories, ideas of grandure, etc. and took his church into the bush.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    It's always interesting to see that characters you can't imagine being sympathetic or involved are down for the cause.

that dude had been down with the OPHR movement from before the olympics right? good dude.

asstro, did you see that thing on Mexico '68 on espn. I guess Smith and Carlos bought two pair of gloves and then forgot to bring one of the pair t the awards ceremony. The aussie who got the bronze/silver? suggested they just split the pair. Hence the right and left hand salute. It's always interesting to see that characters you can't imagine being sympathetic or involved are down for the cause.

Haven't seen it, any chance someone has a link?