Food Strut ... Summer time approaching...

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Trying to get in that summertime shape.. I fuckin love to eat though... Lets start getting those recipes up on here ... Looking for healthy food but that taste good to... lay it on me... I'll go first..Steak Salad...Cook some prime steak up... then slice into bite size pieces... add lettuce.. corn... black beans... cojito cheese and lime cilantro dressing....BOMB

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Shrimp and Watermelon Salad w/ Avacado[/b]

About 15-20 cooked shrimp chilled
    One avacado
    Half a Watermelon
    Cilantro (as much as you like...I like a lot of cilantro)
    1/2 red onion
    Lime/lemons (one of each)
    chile peppers (ie heat, again as much as you desire)
    1/4 cup rice vinegar
    pinch of kosher salt

Cut up the watermelon and take out the seeds. About small bitesize pieces.

Slice up the avacado. Chop the cilantro. Slice the onion.

Combine all the ingredients( not the shrimp[/b]) in a bowl and toss. Chill for about 30 minutes. Season your shrimp with what you want. I usually use a cayenne and garlic mix on mine. Sautee till good in color.
    Add to cold salad.

I made this up with the ingredients I had in my fridge and it is so good on a hot summer day. Im almost certain there is something similar to it somewhere.Yet I always get requests to make it all the time. I love a little sweet and lots of spicy!! Plus the hot and cold aspect as well.

PS. Im sure you could use crab, fish, or whatever instead of shrimp if you are illergic to shellfish.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    boil beets and potatoes (separately), let cool completely and slice
    do alternating layers of each
    on each layer:
    pour lemon/olive oil/garlic dressing
    sprinkle with coarse salt
    cover with either dill or watercress

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    chicken wings are good right? protein at least.... this recipe is off the top of my head, but i've made it a couple times and its real nice.

1/4 cup of butter
    1 tblsp of brown sugar
    1 tblsp of ground mustard
    1/2 cup of water
    1 cup of soy sauce

cook all of this in a sauce pan and then pour half the sauce over some full chicken wings and then cook for 1 hour at 375 - 400. then pour the rest of the sauce on them shits and put back in the over for another hour. then take them out and eat em up! chicken wang heaven!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Another one of my favs is making a

Guatemalan Breakfast[/b]

eggs {however you like them, i like mine sunny side up}
    black beans
    tortillas
    fresh sliced avacado
    fresh mango (lots of it!!)
    fried plaintains(sliced)
    chirmol (tomato sauce, or basically Chili Mole)
    queso fresco

and just plate however you like. Of course there are many different ways of making this. This is my favorite on a Sunday late morning.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

and just plate however you like.

when we start talking about how to "plate" something it's already way beyond me!

I tend to eat my meals mostly out of a paper towel!

for real though these are good. keep 'em coming. I would add one but I am useless in the kitchen. my breakfast usually consists of a cigarette, double espresso, and 9-12 hardboiled eggs.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    my breakfast usually consists of a cigarette, double espresso, and 9-12 hardboiled eggs.

Since you like your eggs , here's a really good egg recipe:(not that healthy, but you can sub Soyrizo?? instead of the fatty chorizo. I know, I have a rather obsession with spanish/guatemalan/mexican foods!

CHORIZO AND SCRAMBLED EGG BREAKFAST TACOS

ingredients
    4 corn tortillas
    1 cup grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
    4 large eggs
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    7 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed if necessary
    4 green onions, sliced

Sour cream (optional)
    Hot sauce or salsa (optional)

preparation
    Brush large nonstick skillet with olive or vegetable oil. Char tortillas over gas flame or directly on electric burner until blackened in spots, turning with tongs. Arrange tortillas in single layer in skillet. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1/4 cup grated cheese and set aside.

Whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Saut?? chorizo sausage in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and saut?? 2 minutes. Add egg mixture and stir until very softly set, about 1 minute. Remove egg mixture from heat.

Cook tortillas in skillet over high heat until beginning to crisp on bottom, but still soft and pliable, about 1 minute. Divide egg mixture among tortillas and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Fold each tortilla in half. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    does anyone know where to get those corndogs, but instead of hot dog, it's cheese (jalape??o preferably) on the inside, in new york city? i need this in my life. i'm only coming up with corndogs.

everyone has their own version of a cold soba salad it seems - i've stuck to this one that came about after making due with what little i had in the cupboard/fridge

boil soba noodles and rinse/drain with cold water at least three times

in a jar or tight-lid container mix:
    tamari
    grated ginger
    chili flakes or your fave hot sauce
    fresh lemon or lime juice
    sesame oil

shake it up good

pour over noodles and toss, sprinkle with your favourite seaweed and chopped green onion.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    everyone has their own version of a cold soba salad it seems - i've stuck to this one that came about after making due with what little i had in the cupboard/fridge

boil soba noodles and rinse/drain with cold water at least three times

in a jar or tight-lid container mix:
    tamari
    grated ginger
    chili flakes or your fave hot sauce
    fresh lemon or lime juice
    sesame oil

shake it up good

pour over noodles and toss, sprinkle with your favourite seaweed and chopped green onion.

i was vegan for a month and ate this on the regular. never got tired of it.

• Chimichurri Chicken

Chicken pieces (Thighs work really well)

Italian flatleaf parsley
    cilantro
    1 lemon
    red pepper flakes
    Garlic (8-10 cloves)
    small chunk of onion
    white wine vinegar
    high-quality olive oil
    salt pepper

rip of equal parts of parsley and cilantro (or one or the other - I like a combo) and put in a food processor with the garlic, onion, the zest of the whole lemon and juice of half of it, a splash of vinegar, a couple shakes of red pepper flakes, several cranks of pepper and big pinch of salt. Pulse it until it is all combines, but not pureed. You want it chunky. Then slowly add olive oil and pulse until it becomes runny (about 1/2 a cup at least). Adjust the flavors to taste...should be a really nice green color.

Marinate your chicken over night and throw it on the grill.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Chimichurri

one of my favorites.

• Pasta with grape tomatoes, white wine, and spinach

This one is really fast and really good...

Boil your water for the pasta (best w/ spaghetti, I think)

cut a big handful of grape tomatoes in half
    slice about three cloves of garlic

when there is about 6 minutes left on the pasta, heat up a couple of tablespoons of quality olive oil, throw some red pepper flakes in and throw in the sliced garlic until it is just barely begining to turn colors (30 seconds or so - you don't want it to be brown at all yet).

Then throw in your tomatoes, some salt (big pinch) and pepper and saute for about 1 minute or so on (almost) high. Throw in a small handfull of toasted pinenuts.

Then add about 1 glass of white wine and cook off the alcohol. You know it is cooked off when you smell it and the horrible alchohol steam is gone. Then toss in a big handful of spinach. You may want to add a few tablespoons of the pasta water to open it up a bit. Take it off the heat and add a splash more olive oil. Drain the pasta and toss it in with your sauce and serve with some parmesean. Really good and light for the summer and quick.

can also be made with sundried tomatoes, shallots, artichokes...or any combination...

• my breakfast usually consists of a cigarette, double espresso, and 9-12 hardboiled eggs.

Since you like your eggs , here's a really good egg recipe:(not that healthy, but you can sub Soyrizo?? instead of the fatty chorizo. I know, I have a rather obsession with spanish/guatemalan/mexican foods!

CHORIZO AND SCRAMBLED EGG BREAKFAST TACOS

ingredients
    4 corn tortillas
    1 cup grated extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
    4 large eggs
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
    7 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed if necessary
    4 green onions, sliced

Sour cream (optional)
    Hot sauce or salsa (optional)

preparation
    Brush large nonstick skillet with olive or vegetable oil. Char tortillas over gas flame or directly on electric burner until blackened in spots, turning with tongs. Arrange tortillas in single layer in skillet. Sprinkle each tortilla with 1/4 cup grated cheese and set aside.

Whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons cilantro in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Saut?? chorizo sausage in heavy medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and saut?? 2 minutes. Add egg mixture and stir until very softly set, about 1 minute. Remove egg mixture from heat.

Cook tortillas in skillet over high heat until beginning to crisp on bottom, but still soft and pliable, about 1 minute. Divide egg mixture among tortillas and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cilantro. Fold each tortilla in half. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce, if desired.

Elise, your recipes look delish'...I'm from Southern Indiana, we just marinate and grill everything (while drinking budweiser and watching nascar)...we do have some fresh veggies on lock though!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Elise, your recipes look delish'...I'm from Southern Indiana, we just marinate and grill everything (while drinking budweiser and watching nascar)...we do have some fresh veggies on lock though!

when I was reading this I thought "Southern INDIA" and then got to the NASCAR/beer part and was like "DAMN" I guess I don't know shit about Indian culture.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I really like refried black beans, and it is nearly impossible to find a restaurant that has good refired black beans (or good beans for that matter). This recipe is one of my biggest accomplishments in the kitchen:

Fennel and tarragon refired black beans

You will need:

One pound of dried black beans
    One large fennel
    three tablespoons of tarragon
    two tablespoons of fenugreek
    one tablespoon of corriander
    one large onion
    olive oil
    white wine (I use white burgundy only when cooking)
    one medium shallot
    half of a head of garlic
    salt
    pepper
    one serrano chile
    One large pot.

Soak your beans overnight.
    chop up the onion and the fennel into thin strips.
    chop the garlic, shallots, and chile into tiny pieces.
    Put them all in the pot with a sufficient amount of oil for about forty minutes, or until they are thoroughly caramelized. You shoud be stirring frequently. If things start drying out just add more oil.
    When all your junk is sufficiently caramelized (it should turn a light brown color, but it shouldn't burn) pour in about a half cup of wine and bring the heat down to low.
    At this point you will also add your tarragon, fenugreek, corriander, and salt and pepper to taste ( I go really easy on salt because it won't alter the flavor if you're salting at the table instead of in the cooking, and oversalting kills it).
    After most of the wine has cooked off add your beands, and pour in water until it is above the beans.
    You may wind up having to add more water, but always remember that adding more water will not ruin the beans, but if you add too much in the first place the kitchen wins, you lose, and you're hungry.
    On low heat it should all cook for about two hours.
    Turn the heat off and let everything cool down a bit.
    Put 3/4 of it in a food processor and totally liquify it (like shake).
    combine your liquified and unliquified portions and you're set.

I serve mine with lime and yogurt. The lime is necessary to round out the palette stimulation, but the yogurt isn't. Brown rice underneath and you're golden.

Also, try eatign quinoa. Quinoa is ridiculously high in protein and cooks the same as rice.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

Thanks. Im stuck in my life right now about what I really want to do. Should I look into cooking as a living or continue on with school to become a kindergarten teacher? I like em both. Life is confusing.

More recipes!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Thanks. Im stuck in my life right now about what I really want to do. Should I look into cooking as a living or continue on with school to become a kindergarten teacher? I like em both. Life is confusing.

More recipes!!

hey elise nice to see you back btw

I have gotten my fair share of cook work (papa pass down related) but work mostly with kids (peru project and montreal) if you think of your everyday life i suggest working with kids as a more fufilling everyday experience in the long run... cooking can be challenging, creative and exciting however your work environment may turn unfulfilling/stressing quickly or if you are not in the right situation..on the other hand working with kids is all of the above but a constant rebooster..those smiles give you an energy and inspiration that is immesurable in my opinion. You can stilll cool on the side to boot... When i said music is the most consistent thing in my life I would also add kids as that

good luck on the lifepath choice it is a seminal and omnipresent question..hope you find your way

• BBQ Beer Can Chicken:

1 whole chicken
    1 can of yella beer...i prefer tecate.
    -empty can half way (by drinking) fill up the rest of can with some sort of i-talian dresasing or oil-based dressing of your choice.

season chicken with a nice rub.
    i prefer a looses combo of paprika/salt/pepper/ground jalapeno pepper/sugar/garlic
    keep it nice and red.
    rub chicken like you mean it.

stuff beer can with beer/dressing up the chicken's arse.
    set up chicken over INDIRECT heat, standing up, propped up on the beer can.
    maintain temperature tween 225 and 275 degrees
    use wood chips and keep up good level of smoke throughout whole process

mop with dressing every hour, should be down in 2-3...

cut pita bread in half and then into triangles. separate and tear at the fold.
    lay out on a cookie sheet as many as you can without overlapping and drizzle with olive oil and favourite dried herb.
    bake until golden and crispy, set aside to cool.

use to dip into:

plain yoghurt mixed with finely chopped or grated garlic, finely chopped cucumbers, salt, pepper and dried mint.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    lay out on a cookie sheet as many as you can without overlapping and drizzle with olive oil and favourite dried herb.

use to dip into:

plain yoghurt mixed with finely chopped or grated garlic, finely chopped cucumbers, salt, pepper and dried mint.

YES! I am a fiend for yoghurt based dips. Are there significant differences b/t the yoghurt based dips? tzatziki, raita, mast-o-khiar? Tzatziki seems to be the most garlicky. I think I like Iran's version best though. Seems a little thicker and milder in some way, more refreshing!

Doubles as relief next to really spicy stuff too. I need some now.

use to dip into:

YES! I am a fiend for yoghurt based dips. Are there significant differences b/t the yoghurt based dips? tzatziki, raita, mast-o-khiar? Tzatziki seems to be the most garlicky. I think I like Iran's version best though. Seems a little thicker and milder in some way, more refreshing!

Doubles as relief next to really spicy stuff too. I need some now.

what i have above is basically mast-o-khiar/mast-o-seer (khiar being cucumbers, seer being garlic). there's also mast-o-moseer (moseer being shallots). i've written chopped cucumbers, but they are usually grated.

raita uses more and different spices and sometimes leans to sweet whereas the masts and tzatzikis are savoury. i find tzatziki to be the thickest as it uses 'whipped' yoghurt.

have you had doogh?

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    have you had doogh?

Feel like I've seen it on a menu, but can't recall what it is or ever ordering it. Would like to know the deal. Thanks for the break down! mast-o-moseer sounds delicious. I love shallots.

have you had doogh?

Feel like I've seen it on a menu, but can't recall what it is or ever ordering it. Would like to know the deal. Thanks for the break down! mast-o-moseer sounds delicious. I love shallots.

my friend calls it the most disgusting drink ever - lol. it's yoghurt with soda water...some people put a little lemon juice and/or mint in it, but you can get it plain as well with just a bit of salt. freshly made is best, but Middle Eastern grocery stores carry different brands/varieties.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Tandoori Chicken BBQ Style

My summertime BBQ all-time favorite.

2-3 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger
    2 teaspoons fresh ground garlic
    4-5 tablespoons tandoori spice mix (dry or wet) -- this is widely available at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc.
    4-5 tablespoons plain yogurt
    2-3 tablespoons dry coriander powder
    1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Salt to taste
    Black pepper to taste
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper powder (secret ingredient)
    Chunky chat masala (at your Indian grocery store)
    Skewers
    Onions and lime (to garnish)

Slice up the chicken into 1-2 inch bite sized pieces, toss into a big bowl or plastic bag. Add the ginger, garlic, spice mix, yogurt, oil, coriander powder, salt and pepper. Mix all ingredients until chicken is completely coated. Let marinade in fridge overnight (overnight is key -- tenderizes the meat).

Following day, skewer the chicken pieces and save the yogurt marinade for basting. Grill on medium to high heat, baste periodically with the marinade and extra oil if needed, until done. garnish wit the chat masala, sliced onions, and lime. ENJOY!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Chicken Cordon Bleu with Gruyere and Black Forrest Ham

easy meal, flatten some brined boneless skinless chicken breasts, jullienne your ham, cut up your cheese, put ham and cheese on flattened breast, roll over to create a pocket around ham and cheese, seal with toothpicks if you want, make an egg wash, brush the pocket, coat with panko breadcrumbs, bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Bacon and Red Bell Pepper stuffed Potatoes

score some russett or baking potatoes around the top as if you were cutting a lid out of them, but don't cut them all the way off, just make the incisions, then bake them at 450 for an hour or so. once they are soft enough, take them out, hold them in a towel and cut/scoop the lids off. scoop all of the potatoes out leaving just a little bit against the skin, 1/4 inch or so. put the guts in a bowl. add some sour cream, milk or cream, butter, mash it and mix it until it is nice and smooth. add some diced red peppers and some cut up bacon, add some diced up mozzerella and/or gruyere cheese (i used both, came out really good), some black pepper and salt, and mix it up again. Refill the potato skins with the mixture, put the lids back on, back another 10 or 15 minutes to melt the cheeses and distribute the flavors a bit. this is a super easy dish that you can experiemnt with all you want, it's hard to mess up.

Cuban Sandwich and fresh potato chips (or fries)

You need some type of a grill press for this - sandwich maker, waffle iron, panini press, george foreman, or even a hot brick wrapped in foil on a hot grill.
    You need some kind of roasted pork, some ham, some dill pickle slices, some swiss or gruyere, some good mustard, and some cuban bread. or just some french rolls or any kind of bread with a crust on it. I would not try to use sliced bread, but that's just me. Anyway, just put all that shit together in layers and press it for a while letting the cheese melt and letting the pickles steam up and flavor the sandwich. These sandwiches are REALLY GOOD. I swear. I would also recommend some fresh potato chips or fries if you have a deep fryer or a big cast iron pot to fry in. Slice potatoes as thin as you can (use a raddish slicer or even a mandolin), soak in cold water for an hour or so, pat them dry and fry them. Make sure they stay submerged in the oil the whole time so you don't end up with half burnt and half chewy and raw chips. If you have a counter top fryer, I would put the chips under the fry basket and put the basket down on top of them to hold them under the oil. Drain and let rest on paper towels for a minute. Flavor with salt and whatever else you want. Fries aqre about the same, just cut them differently.

Bruschetta (good for a snack or appetizer)

Another super simple one. Dice up some tomatoes, basil, roasted red pepper, purple onion, and fresh basil. Mix it all up with some olive oil. Cut some italian bread (or french) into slices about an inch to inch and a half thick, pile the bruschetta mixture onto the bread, and bake it at 350 for 15-20 minutes. You can also try putting a slice of mozzerella on the bread before you put the veggies on. You can also rub the bread with fresh garlic before you put the veggies on. And also, you can change up the veggies to whatever suits your taste. This goes great with any pasta dish.

Chipotle burgers

Dice up some chipotle chiles (the canned ones that come packed in adobo sauce), mix the chiles and a minimal amount of seasoning (salt, pepper, chili powder of your liking) into the ground beef. make patties and chill them so the flavors can marinate a little. Make some guacamole (a couple avocados, half a good sized lime, one minced jalapeno, and a good bit of diced up cilantro, mash it and mix it all up). Let the guac chill (cold guac is where it's at). Next, slice up an onion (yellow or white, up to you), caramelize the onions by sauteing them in a pan with a good amount of butter, some of the adobo sauce from the canned chipotle, and just a little bit of brown sugar. Get the onions nice and brown but be careful not to burn them. Cook your purgers, top with the onions, then a slice of cheddar (they make this really good sliced cheddar with bits of chipotle peppers in it, it's sargento or some shit). top with guac, lettuce, throw it on a toasted bun. Off the proverbial chain.

Well, that's about all I got from last week's menu. Bon appetit.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

More recipes!!

hey elise nice to see you back btw

I have gotten my fair share of cook work (papa pass down related) but work mostly with kids (peru project and montreal) if you think of your everyday life i suggest working with kids as a more fufilling everyday experience in the long run... cooking can be challenging, creative and exciting however your work environment may turn unfulfilling/stressing quickly or if you are not in the right situation..on the other hand working with kids is all of the above but a constant rebooster..those smiles give you an energy and inspiration that is immesurable in my opinion. You can stilll cool on the side to boot... When i said music is the most consistent thing in my life I would also add kids as that

good luck on the lifepath choice it is a seminal and omnipresent question..hope you find your way

thanks pcmr for the very kind words. I have this huge passion to work with kids for a very long time. It seems as life has been quite a drag lately and a rollercoaster at times. I don't know if it is because of me living in a small town (ie small town blues). I love music as well and it is sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane. Maybe I should stop hi-jacking this thread! Again, pcmr, thank you for the kind words. It's like giving a glass of water to someone who is thirsty.

Alright with the recipes...

CORNISH HENS WITH SWEET VERMOUTH GARLIC GLAZE[/b]

This is from one of my favorite sites. I made this and it was incredible! AND I am not one to like to eat meat of a bone. Turned out beautifully.

ingredients
    2 (1 1/2-lb) Cornish hens, halved lengthwise through breast
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup sweet (red) vermouth
    6 large garlic cloves, quartered lengthwise
    4 fresh or dried thyme sprigs
    1 cup water

preparation
    Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450??F. Pat hens dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast, cut sides down, in a large heavy shallow baking pan (1 inch deep) until just cooked through, about 30 minutes.

While hens roast, simmer vermouth, garlic, thyme, and 1/2 cup water, uncovered, in a 2-quart heavy saucepan until garlic is soft, about 15 minutes. Discard thyme. Mash garlic into sauce with a fork and simmer until reduced to a glaze (about 3 tablespoons). Brush glaze onto hens and roast 5 minutes more. Pour remaining 1/2 cup water into saucepan, swirling to dissolve any remaining glaze, and reserve.

Transfer hens to a serving dish and let stand, loosely covered with foil, 5 minutes. Straddle baking pan over 2 burners, then add reserved liquid from saucepan and deglaze baking pan by boiling over moderate heat, scraping up brown bits, until reduced slightly. Season pan juices with salt and pepper and pour over hens.

yes sir yes sir!!

• noodles (small maccheroni)
    olive oil
    red onions
    almonds (in a pin like shape) or pine nuts
    cherry tomatoes
    real feta cheese (from sheep)
    rocket (the salad)

tastes GREAT.

cook the noodles (al dente), roast the onins and almonds (or pine nuts) gently in olive oil, then add the cherry tomatoes (don't roast them though) then the noodles then the feta. fold in a few rocket leaves and serve with lots of rocket on top. you can add some parmesan.

simple, but good food.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Also, try eatign quinoa. Quinoa is ridiculously high in protein and cooks the same as rice.

It's also gluten-free.

• Trying to get in that summertime shape.. I fuckin love to eat though... Lets start getting those recipes up on here ...

Looking for healthy food but that taste good to... lay it on me...

Portion Control
    Low Sugar
    Work Out
    Stay Away From White Breads/Rice and opt for brown rice whole weat.
    Be very aware of what goes in and on your food. You may think a nice piece of fish is what's up, but consider if it has a fatty oil or butter.

Trust me, I love fucking eating. One of the few things that makes me happy, but you gotta stay focused and keep that man-purse chiseled!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    BBQ Beer Can Chicken:

1 whole chicken
    1 can of yella beer...i prefer tecate.
    -empty can half way (by drinking) fill up the rest of can with some sort of i-talian dresasing or oil-based dressing of your choice.

season chicken with a nice rub.
    i prefer a looses combo of paprika/salt/pepper/ground jalapeno pepper/sugar/garlic
    keep it nice and red.
    rub chicken like you mean it.

stuff beer can with beer/dressing up the chicken's arse.
    set up chicken over INDIRECT heat, standing up, propped up on the beer can.
    maintain temperature tween 225 and 275 degrees
    use wood chips and keep up good level of smoke throughout whole process

mop with dressing every hour, should be down in 2-3...

Yes. Also, you can cut off the Pope's nose (that flap of yellow fat that anchored the tail feathers) and stuff it into the neck. This helps trap the beer steam inside the bird, making for extra flavor and moistness.