Birthday help - turntables for kids?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
My son's birthday is coming up and all he wants is to DJ.The only thing I've been able to find are these but they discontinued them:If anybody has any ideas plaese to holler.

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I don't have any ideas... wish I did.

But I just wanted to say that I think it's real cool that your little dude is already making real kid world moves to become a bigger dude.

That... and I think that setup looks like something I would have DIED to have when I was a kid... no luck finding one on the 'bay??

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    How old?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't have any ideas... wish I did.

But I just wanted to say that I think it's real cool that your little dude is already making real kid world moves to become a bigger dude.

That... and I think that setup looks like something I would have DIED to have when I was a kid... no luck finding one on the 'bay??

Thanks man. I'm glad he's interested in it, but as long as he's doing something that makes him happy I'll be good.

I've tried ebay and I'm still looking around other places. I was hoping maybe someone out there had bought their kid something similar or could point me in the right direction.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    How old?

going on 5

• How old?

going on 5
    buy him some records that are his to play around with on your setup, only with your supervision of course

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i went to a potluck a few weeks ago and they had one of these

i had a lot of fun on it, it has a little fake record scratch type thing and all kinds of drum sounds. once 3 of us got going on this thing at once is started to really take off.

Let your little musical whiz pound away on an Extreme Drum Set with Built-in Keyboard and Scratch Pad. Includes four drum pads and two cymbals that deliver 20 drum and percussion sounds with styles including Hip Hop, Dance, Disco, Pop, Latin, Rock, R&B and Caribbean. Also includes a built-in keyboard, scratchpad , drumsticks and headset. Measures approximately 27.5 inches tall. Requires 4 "AA" alkaline batteries (not included).

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    not too sure about the turntable situation, but i did see this crazy circuit bent kids drum machine on ebay a little while back. it was this cheap little fisher price joint, but the sounds they had coming out of it were crazy.

a kids drum machine may be the way to go.

• I'm pretty sure that toys r us has a DJ thing that looks a little better/nicer than the one pictured but from what I can tell would have about the same functions. The last time I was there was like a year ago though and they may have clearanced them out already (I recall it being on sale at the time). Either way, I'd start there. It was in the video game section with other instrument toys.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Thanks everybody. I'll check that other thing out.

I think I might have seen it for sale in one of the searches I did.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    http://www99.epinions.com/kifm-review-AA9-73D17AF-39FF8FAD-prod1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivid-Imaginations-DJ-Battle-Mix/dp/B0000AC998

bottom of the page
    http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/mixer032.thumbnail.jpg

They even bring up DJ Shadow.

"Any kid expecting to make like DJ Shadow with this device is going to be sorely disappointed both by the limited number of beats and "scratch sounds" the toy can make, and by the way every noise coming out of the "Electronic DJ Mixer" sounds like a radio stuck between stations. Ain't nothin' like a party, ya'll."

Yeah, maybe thats why it is $7.99!

Good luck Day! And happy bday to the little Day!!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Sorry, I have found this rather amusing! Found this too.

Scroll down to DJ battle Mix... DJ Battle Mix Game

A review I read about it..
    "DJ Battle Mix ($20) from Pressman Toy adapts the trend to a memory game. Using two scratch disks and a slide, competitors string together a pattern of beats that their opponents must match. If they spin well, the machine congratulates them. If not, they hear, "Don't quit your day job."

And then there is this one...

DJ BMX Toy

Ok, I promise I am done.

• i don't know what your price range is but what about one of those dj starter packs? gemini for $150

if he is too young for a turntable set-up or this is more than you were thinking of spending i like the idea of getting him some records to play with while you teach him the ropes. if its not just a phase and he is still into it in a year or two maybe he can step up to his own decks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I think every radioshack ive been too has had a sort of scratch/keyboard play toy some more kid friendly than others but still worth a shot checking it out and asking them

let us know what youget

happy b-day to youngDay

• I don't know what to recommend, but Day, this is awesome.
    Get M***s practicing hard so he can start DJing for Brother Ali's son.