• WHERE IS NUMBER FOUR???
    ME NEEDY
    CAPS JUSTIFIED.

These mixes are good.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    WHERE IS NUMBER FOUR???
    ME NEEDY
    CAPS JUSTIFIED.

Here. Now to download myself. THANKS FRANK!!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    YES. I must have missed it sneakily hidden on the front page.

Taking it to the gym tonight.

THANKS FOR ANOTHER HIT FRANK!

• LIFE IS A GAME!

(ps please to reprort to http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=847734&an=0&page=0#Post847734 for all who are sleeping)

MORE MORE MORE

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I can't seem to save this file.....how do you do it?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ram/soulradio/2007/africamix4.mp3

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Rey, when are you going to get into the African record game?

It's only a matter of time... or are you built for it?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Wierd. I must have downloaded somewhere on my comp, but I don't know where it is. I don't get the "open" or "save as" window.
    Although my media player automatically starts once download is complete.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    mine stay on the desktop.
    next best bet id say is the search function

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I don't know, man--I'm kind of a stickler for condition/sound quality and most of the old African records I've seen for sale haven't been in top condition (but then again, I haven't really been looking). Plus, I haven't developed an ear for non-funky African music yet, so we'll see--I have many years of collecting ahead of me.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    x20000000000000000000000000000000000413

thanks again frank!

be safe dude!

I don't know, man--I'm kind of a stickler for condition/sound quality and most of the old African records I've seen for sale haven't been in top condition (but then again, I haven't
    really been looking). Plus, I haven't developed an ear for non-funky African music yet, so we'll see--I have many years of collecting ahead of me.

The game is only for the biggest of dudes--getting the African pieces in top condition is not easy.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

The game is only for the biggest of dudes-

You need a AR-15, flak jacket, and balls like Frank (see picture)

Why can't Frank profit off of these? These mixes are jewels to us and
    Africa's heritage.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Why can't Frank profit off of these? These mixes are jewels to us and Africa's heritage.[/b]

Africa's heritage does not need the help of record dudes, with all due respect.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Why can't Frank profit off of these? These mixes are jewels to us and Africa's heritage.[/b]

Blasphemy!

Nothing exists until it's been comped for the appreciation of white people!

• hans_dbhans_db 18 Posts

only ten minutes far but damn.. it rocks! it swings! it's dope!!
    thanks

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    As always, this is awesome stuff. thanks again for sharing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Superb mix, Frank.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    All of these 5 african mixes are getting regular player play here. Thank you for the music, Frank.

Check the man's blog for more background info on the tunes, travel reports/pics, record pron and links to all the mixes. It's an interesting read:

http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    quality stuff as always Frank. This new mix might be my favorite one yet!
    Hope all is well....and please don't forget to e-mail me about that book/lp deal.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

sorry for my ignorance, should had never been said, my apologies.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Just copped. Many thanks.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx for the great feedback!

It really makes me happy to see that people do like this stuff!

A word or two on the (thankfully short-lived) "heritage" discussion.

I certainly don't want to take any credit here and I'm not fishing for compliments nor padding my own back but: I really do think that "record dudes" can have an important role in preserving parts of Africa's cultural heritage. I'm mainly digging for Funk and Afrobeat here but I also buy unfunky, more traditional stuff whenever I find it in good condition. It can be argued how important African Funk or Afrobeat is in a cultural historical context, some say it's unauthentic music because of its western influence but if you think about it, the "western" influence of Soul and Funk has its roots in African music, so this "fusion" between African and "Western" music merely closes the cycle.

Fact is that large parts of Africa's recent musical history probably already have been lost and more is to be lost because of the very record-unfriendly climate of extreme heat, humidity and rainfall together with a generally very dusty and sandy environment. Frequent civil wars are another issue, countless times I've been told by people in Freetown how they got so tired of constantly grabbing all their belongings to run for their lives that at some point, they just let those heavy records sit on the porch. In most cases there are no master tapes in existence for backup so once all copies of a vinyl record are gone, the music is lost. This is why the work of record labels such as Soundway are so important (and why everybody should buy all of their releases).

It is very, very hard to find playable records around here nowadays, don't let the cover scans of my digging posts fool you, hauls like that involve a lot of work and I haven't been doing much else for the past 2 years. About 90 to 95% of all records you will find around here are totally whipped and that's 90-95% of ALL records, including all sorts of African things unfunky as well as various American and European Pop, Disco, Rock and Country (yes, "Country"! -Country music must have been very, very popular in Sierra Leone at some point). It pains me to think about what must have been here to find some 10 or 20 years ago.

When a few weeks ago, I visited Satel Records in Cotonou, they told me that they had BURNED most of their remaining Vinyl stock years ago because it took up too much room... a friend had given me a lead to a store called Papa's Disco. Papa had died a few years back but my friend said that the records remain with the widow. It took me a few days to find Papa's widow just to hear that yes, she had also burned all the records telling me that it didn't occur to her that anyone might still be interested in vinyl.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I can't imagine collecting records in a tumultuous place like Africa. You're doing the right thing, Frank. It is a good cause to find and preserve music, who knows how few copies of these 45s are left.

Your mixes are amazing also because so many of the re-releases out there just aren't very good. I've picked up a few, but the only ones that are really great are the Soundways releases and the Afro-rock (which only has one volume, unfortunately).

Like the "classics of west african psychadelic music" (or whatever the title was - on David Byrne's label) is just crap. Wimpy selection, poor recordings, etc.

Soundway is an amazing label. I've bought all the vinyl on it, digitized them, and loaded them into iTunes. (no I won't upload them so don't ask)

• zimbzimb 8 Posts
    Frank,

this is my favorite of the 4 so far as well, the Les Sympathics tune blew me away

I've picked up a few, but the only ones that are really great are the Soundways releases and the Afro-rock (which only has one volume, unfortunately).

Like the "classics of west african psychadelic music" (or whatever the title was - on David Byrne's label) is just crap. Wimpy selection, poor recordings, etc.

While I agree on the psychadelic sounds cd (except for sanjina -by orch. reional de kayes, which is an amazing song, but not fitting in to the theme of the comp in any way), on a non funk/afrobeat tip, there are a number of good reissue labels around - Dakar Sound, PAM (popular African music), retroafric, and a couple of the sterns syliphone reissues come to mind. For those who liked the frank's syliphone mix, you should check out the balla et ses balladins reissue on PAM or the bembeya jazz reissue "the syliphone years" also I'd think the think most likely to interest those who do like the funk sound would be the etoile 2000 reissues on dakar sound - insane fuzz guitar, guys beating away at a tama, recorded in a garage in dakar. the story goes that a tape was given to the radio station and by the next day it was the most popular song in the capital.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Thoroughly enjoyed the mix, great selection. Thanks!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I think its safe to say that Frank is living the dream that most on this board wish they could do.

the project and the mixes are dope Frank, keep it up.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

what I love bout the music on these mixes is the conglemarate of sounds I hear, all the music I listen to on daily basis is peppered throughout the songs on these mixes.

Frank what is your 10-20 right now? location?