Legitimate graff books? (NRR)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Ae there any books of graff that are credible for folks that are out doin it? I know academia has really taken a fancy on hip-hop and it seems like there are endless amounts of books written on hip-hop by people that have never rapped, written graff, DJed, or break danced: . I have a friend who is trying to find a brief synopsis on graff, and I'd hate to see him go out like a chump by citing wack shit.

Comments

• there are quite a few good ones out there. Spray Can Art is basically a photo log of StyleWars. Most of them are just picture books with little blurbs on various writers and such but don't dive too deep into history. If it's about Philly graff I think there is a book called The Art of Getting Over that primarily focuses on that scene.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But why would your friend need a brief synopsis if he had ever rapped, written graff, DJed, or break danced?

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Check out "Faith in Graffiti" by Norman Mailer.Arguably the first book On New York Graffiti.Nice Examples of Really Tight Early Hand Styles.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    "subway art" by your boy Henry Chalfant. he did "spraycan art" as well.

• Its called "faith of graffiti" and its very recommendable...

Peace,

Dress

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There's a book from the early 80s called "Getting Up" which was a very good story about the development of the early years in graff. I think it's out of print now, and I can't remember the author, so that might not be much help. The Henry Chalfant and Martha Cooper books "Subway Art" and "Spraycan Art" are really good. Pretty much straight books of photographs but within that they do a good job of telling teh story. Both are very important books in the history of graffiti documentation.

When Steve did "The Art Of Getting Over" he basically just wanted to tell his story about how he saw himself fitting into the bigger picture, but he really did a great job of telling the WHOLE STORY and getting all his facts straight. An incredible read and very important if you want to talk about the development of handstyles, the movement of styles between reigions, and really the way graffiti boomed during the pivotal years of the late 70s to early 80s.

My friend (and fellow crew member ) Just came out with THIS BOOK. It's all photos but it's an AMAZING book.

You should also have your friend watch the movie "Style Wars."

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    co-sign everything said so far, and add the book on Dondi White. It's more about him but he is the original style master. It's also not just pictures so you can learn you some history from it.

And DEFINITELY peep Style Wars. That is the end-all of original graff docu's. It's not a movie like wildstyle, it's all real deal documentary shit with all the OG writers from NY (from Seen to Duster to Mare to Cap to Trap to Case2 to Dez aka DJ KaySlay etc).

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

My friend (and fellow crew member ) Just came out with THIS BOOK. It's all photos but it's an AMAZING book.

Man, that shit looks fresh, I might have to try and pick that up. I always loved the Philly steez.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    This book is amazing.
    Fuzz was there at the time so its Legit for sure.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    "subway art" by your boy Henry Chalfant. he did "spraycan art" as well.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    There's a book from the early 80s called "Getting Up" which was a very good story about the development of the early years in graff. I think it's out of print now, and I can't remember the author ...

Here's some info on that book:

title: Getting Up: subway Graffiti in New York
    author: Craig Castleman

Click here for a list of libraries around NYC that have the book

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    The History of Los Angeles Graffiti.

History fo LA Graf

It just came out last year and is a pretty comprehensive look at Graffiti in La from 1983-1988. Its the first volume and the second is on its way for later this year covering 1989 to i think 1993 or 4?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Here's a couple that haven't been mentioned that I like:

Here are two respectable academic takes:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There's a book from the early 80s called "Getting Up" which was a very good story about the development of the early years in graff. I think it's out of print now, and I can't remember the author ...

Here's some info on that book:

title: Getting Up: subway Graffiti in New York
    author: Craig Castleman

Click here for a list of libraries around NYC that have the book [/quote">
    Back in print... I remember discovering this in the GSU library circa Fall 1994:

a href="http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Up-Subway-Graffitti-York/dp/0262530511/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/002-1579866-5494437]

• Off topic, but Dr*z, here's how the flicks trading started for me.

Do you know Izer?

One of the first, if not the first to set it off.

One of my faves..

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Yeah, the first thing I told him to do was watch Style Wars, and he had already queued it in Netflix. Thanks for all of the helpful responses strutteurs.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    When Steve did "The Art Of Getting Over" he basically just wanted to tell his story about how he saw himself fitting into the bigger picture, but he really did a great job of telling the WHOLE STORY and getting all his facts straight. An incredible read and very important if you want to talk about the development of handstyles, the movement of styles between reigions, and really the way graffiti boomed during the pivotal years of the late 70s to early 80s.

This book is hot, I dig ESPO's stuff. Lot's of graf, while I respect it, is super boring to me.
    Espo takes it to a different place. Dude has an amazing sense of humor and comes through
    in the book and his art.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    There are definitely some cheese ass graffiti books out there. I gave up when "Urban Outfitters" started to carry graffiti books. But

By default I ended up with free copy of this, ut this book is well worth the pricetag.

It runs pretty deep. From the history of American railways, to hobo art. You can tell the book was produced in the same vain as Subway Art ( the typeface on the cover is the same as Subway Art) Oh, and the author definitely paints.