Rap Localism in your city

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i feel a little weird about even responding to this, but whatever.. i'm bored.

Look, Houston has had many opportunities. I'm glad that you're satisfied with how far everything has come. The thing is however, I actually lived in Houston for my whole life. Not Louisiana, not Oregon, not Kema, not the bay or l.a. or whatever you claim at whatever time. My point is this: J Prince and the Rapalot family drop the ball on almost everything. There is no promotion, there is no wax, no marketing, advertising, etc. Fuck, there's barely even desks and phones in the place. Sure, there are a lot of really nice cars in the garage at the studio, but the artists on that label have been shit on over and over again. Can you honestly disagree? It's the same with almost every other label that I used to frequent when I lived there.

And from my personal experience, most of these rappers are usually so fucked up on lean, weed, handlebars, and liquor that yes, I feel they haven't reached their full potential. It's really cute how you've gotten offended over my criticism of my own city.

I was there. I used to dj at clubs and parties where Slim, Face, Troy, entourage, and a ton of other artists all frequented. It was a great time, it was precrunk and I could play local shit for almost the entire night and the crowd would go nuts. Coinciding with my move up north, I would wake up in the morning with Still Tippin blaring out on the Flatbush streets at 7 am. Things could have been handled very differently.

In 04, momentum was strong, but it really felt like nobody knew what to do with it. So the Paul Wall gets played on Austin radio, splendid. I was trying to express how the city I love never really follows through to become what i know it can be.

If you could ever step out of your small world and look at the larger picture, or if you were actually from the city that you conveniently claim at times, you might have an inkling of an idea what i'm referring to.

don't even get me started on the astros or the rockets.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i feel a little weird about even responding to this, but whatever.. i'm bored.

Look, Houston has had many opportunities. I'm glad that you're satisfied with how far everything has come. The thing is however, I actually lived in Houston for my whole life. Not Louisiana, not Oregon, not Kema, not the bay or l.a. or whatever you claim at whatever time. My point is this: J Prince and the Rapalot family drop the ball on almost everything. There is no promotion, there is no wax, no marketing, advertising, etc. Fuck, there's barely even desks and phones in the place. Sure, there are a lot of really nice cars in the garage at the studio, but the artists on that label have been shit on over and over again. Can you honestly disagree? It's the same with almost every other label that I used to frequent when I lived there.

And from my personal experience, most of these rappers are usually so fucked up on lean, weed, handlebars, and liquor that yes, I feel they haven't reached their full potential. It's really cute how you've gotten offended over my criticism of my own city.

I was there. I used to dj at clubs and parties where Slim, Face, Troy, entourage, and a ton of other artists all frequented. It was a great time, it was precrunk and I could play local shit for almost the entire night and the crowd would go nuts. Coinciding with my move up north, I would wake up in the morning with Still Tippin blaring out on the Flatbush streets at 7 am. Things could have been handled very differently.

In 04, momentum was strong, but it really felt like nobody knew what to do with it. So the Paul Wall gets played on Austin radio, splendid. I was trying to express how the city I love never really follows through to become what i know it can be.

If you could ever step out of your small world and look at the larger picture, or if you were actually from the city that you conveniently claim at times, you might have an inkling of an idea what i'm referring to.

don't even get me started on the astros or the rockets.

Yes, I suppose that Rap-A-Lot doesn't do enough promotion. But for what purpose? I'm really not all that interested in how much each rapper signed to their label makes annually. Their releases are obviously getting out there enough to be desired all over the world.

Again, Houston rap has infilirated the mainstream to the point that Cham won a Grammy and Jermaine Dupri is now trying to make people think that he's bangin' Screw. I can't help but rpeat my question to you as what is it exactly that you are looking for?

Because to describe the current situation as a fumble is really out of touch with what's actually happening down here.

And your "these rappers are usually fucked up on drugs" sounds really out of line in a condescendingly bad way.

And for the record, I lived in Houston (not Kemah, but officially within Houston city limits) for 3 years. I finished up high school there, played varsity football and such, and then moved to Austin. My parents remained in Houston for about another 8 years and I would come down to see them and Huouston on the regular.

Maybe your 30 years trumps mine, but I'm not the one acting like a hateur whose argument rests far too much on getting way toom uch up into the business of those who should be solely judged as artists rather than as potential speakers tat the next FBLA meeting.

And the Rockets went back-to-back, remember?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    you're overcompensating.

I'm not hating on anything. I wanted what it was capable of. but like i said yesterday, it's useless to talk to a wall.

Later.

oh yeah.. and this is a gem, btw

I'm not the one acting like a hateur whose argument rests far too much on getting way toom uch up into the business of those who should be solely judged as artists rather than as potential speakers tat the next FBLA meeting.

Talk to your boy...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Master Bates?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    talking about banging Screw

As a ten or eleven year old, "Funkdafied" was my shit

damn hommie you just discovered that track last year?

Funkdafied is hella old...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

That shit was pretty much inescapable my freshman year of college down in NC. I was not pleased.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

lol deej is young lol

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Shied's started this same thread about fittylevenhunnerd times.

Ain't it the truth. Dude should just start his own site where it can be textalk 24/7.
    a blog?

I don't really give a fukk what it is. A pimped out 80's BBS board with fukkin' Z-Ro tracks blasting in Midi for all I care.

Right now I'd be happy with an old lizard talk thread instead of another Rep you local experience one from Shied.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he should get a personal web site, like people had before blogs, where the welcome page says "hi! welcome to my page" and its hosted by geocities or some shit, and a midi of 'still tippin' would start when you view it. then it would have pictures of him fishing, barbecuing and listening to rap music. But if we tried to post them here it would give a geocities hotlinking error

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    he should get a personal web site, like people had before blogs, where the welcome page says "hi! welcome to my page" and its hosted by geocities or some shit, and a midi of 'still tippin' would start when you view it. then it would have pictures of him fishing, barbecuing [, searching for shrooms, changing diapers, obtaining the number of the girl down the street][/b] and listening to rap music. But if we tried to post them here it would give a geocities hotlinking error

Are y'all all holding hands together as y'all post these comments?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i find it hard to believe that we are the only two people who have clowned you on a message board.

i find it hard.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i find it hard.

tepid

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RIP BIG HAWK
    ENDANGERED SPECIES IN STORES MAY 1ST
    BUY THAT SHIT OR YOU DON'T LIKE RAP

I will not buy this and I like rap.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    NOPE

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    whats your top ten albums out of texas?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    is harvey able to claim only austin or is houston included in his past residencies? i don't think he would able to give you a top 10 texas list without being kinda carpetbaggeurish

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    fuck out of here with that shit

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    ANIMAL RAP

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    isn't bone from cincinati or have i been living a lie for 10 years?

Here is Jermaine Dupree openly shouting out Houston, Texas as if he wishes he could be from anywhere but Lilliput.

to actually say something that pertains to what this post was meant to be about, i think 2 songs that i actually like from this town (minneapolis) that could be anthems are:

brother ali's, "truth is"

and

i-self's "ice cold."

i can't call what song would rep seattle (my heart and home) but it sure as hell isn't "baby got back."

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Current radio staples in Austin/Texas that I don't suspect are radio staples in too many places elsewhere:

Paul Wall - I'm Throwed
    Jibbs & Chamillionaire - King Kong
    Bone Thugs N Harmony - I Tried (My bet is that their biggest fanbase anywhere is in San Antonio)

I assumed the first two were huge everywhere, but I've heard them a lot in NC anyway.

The Bone I've heard on the radio in Wilmington (where I am now).

The only local song that gets play right now that I'm aware of is 'Holla Ten-Four' by Yung Real Dynamite. Its actually been in rotation for a LONG long time but its never been released in any form - I guess since radio is the only place you'll hear it its harder for it to get played out.

[If anyone has a MP3 PM plaese thank you]

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I've been livin in L.A. and I dont really find that here??? There's a new AMG and DJ Quick song on the radio that I doubt is getting burn anywhere else but otherwise it's

whats your top ten albums out of texas?

All-Time:

Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
    UGK - Ridin Dirty
    Odd Squad - Fadenuf fa Erybody
    Paul Wall & Chamillionaire - Get Ya Mind Correct
    Z-Ro & Rapid Ric & DJ LL - Z-Ro's Greatest Verses

Current:

Gerald G - Mr. 512
    Bavu Blakes - Woodgrain Collection
    Devin - Waitin' to Inhale
    Ryno- They Call Me 'No
    DJ Grip & Basswood Lane - Gettin' Rich in Progress

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I've been livin in L.A. and I dont really find that here??? There's a new AMG and DJ Quick song on the radio that I doubt is getting burn anywhere else but otherwise it's

ha ha, yeah,,, and anything with Lil Rob in it.