Rap Localism in your city

13»

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    theres no such thing as local rap songs where i am. but i will say this..
    everytime i glance at faux rills avatar:

i think im seeing this guy:

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded bloom unimpeded

Thanks for a track title.

- J

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    As per usual, Harvey???s vision here is a bit myopic. I do think it???s possible to say in the very same breath that Houston kinda fumbled its opportunities but that they were also quite successful. It???s also really important that the local scene is still so strong, but from all accounts I???ve been privy to, that has always been the way anyway. But, whatever.

As for Philly? Cosmic Kev???s been bangin??? the hell out of this Rampage and Just Blaze shit ???The Anthem,??? which I think is really hot. I mean, he???s an average rapper, but I love the beat and the hook. As for actually Philly artists doing thangs, Gillie Da Kid has actually stopped talking shit about Wayne and has started to put out some good music. His song with Joey Jihad and Reed Dollaz ???Three Kings??? has been getting some local love and Gillie???s new song ???Number One??? has also been getting some play. Young Chris???s ???Coast to Coast??? is doing its thang and people are going pretty bananas for that Peedi ???Brand New Funk??? update. But on the whole, Philly radio is an absolute joke and doesn???t do very much to ???support the local scene??? which is of course unfortunate and makes listening to the radio terribly uninteresting for 23 and a half hours a day. Cosmic Kev???s mixshow will have maybe 15 minutes of interesting shit and the rest is Lloyd and Musiq. Speaking of Musiq, there???s a Freeway verse on ???Buddy??? that???s been floating around that???s pretty awesome as well.

Truth be told, all the youngins out here are into club music more than they are into rap. They???re all perfecting their wu-tangs instead of rapping in the mirror.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    As per usual, Harvey???s vision here is a bit myopic.

Ah, but with the loss of the bigger picture, something magical is gained.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    whats your top ten albums out of texas?

1) Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
    2) Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
    3) Willie D - Controversy
    4) Odd Squad - Fadenuf fa Erybody
    5) Convicts - S/T
    6) Devin - Just Tryin To Live
    7) Geto Boys - S/T
    8) Z-Ro - Let The Truth Be Told
    9) UGK - Ridin Dirty
    10) K-Rino - Stories From The Black Book

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

What is the opposite of myopic? When some chowderhead tries far too hard to attach themselves to sweeping figments of industry/media-driven pop structure as defined by manipulated Soundscan figures and across-the-board acceptance by the NYC cling-tank at the expense of making any real connections to their own local experience defined by music bumping out of cars, club compliance, live concerts, in-store appearances, and basically maintaining a block presence?

Of course locals have always supported locals down here in Texas. But even that audience has all sorts of room to grow. Don't be surprised if Paul Wall does end up going plat this time out...in that while maybe he's lost some predictably-temporary internet allegiance, he's currently rampaging sprawling Texas suburbs like it's nobody's business. And no, these aren't the same folks who typically buy releases from DJ Screw, ESG, Slim Thug, etc.

So while some see the situation as bleak, smarter dudes are still taking advantage of a still-golden opportunity.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What is the opposite of myopic? When some chowderhead tries far too hard to attach themselves to sweeping figments of industry/media-driven pop structure as defined by manipulated Soundscan figures and across-the-board acceptance by the NYC cling-tank at the expense of making any real connections to their own local experience defined by music bumping out of cars, club compliance, live concerts, in-store appearances, and basically maintaining a block presence?

I'm gonna have to ask you to repost that in pieces small enough for my puny mind to digest.

Also, I need definitions for the following:

NYC cling-tank

club compliance

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I'm gonna have to ask you to repost that in pieces small enough for my puny mind to digest.

Too many dudes reaching for fantasies outside of their own sphere of existence and then attempting to call shots like they're not

Also, I need definitions for the following:

NYC cling-tank

Ignore, ignore, ignore -> Hate, hate, hate -> Accept Bite, accept bite, accept bite -> Ignore, ignore, ignore

club compliance

Not everyone walks to the bar when you're song comes on. Not everyone mean-muggs the dj when your song comes on. Not getting your ass beat in the parking lot when you finally bother to show your face at the club.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    whats your top ten albums out of texas?

1) Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped
    2) Scarface - Mr. Scarface Is Back
    3) Willie D - Controversy
    4) Odd Squad - Fadenuf fa Erybody
    5) Convicts - S/T
    6) Devin - Just Tryin To Live
    7) Geto Boys - S/T
    8) Z-Ro - Let The Truth Be Told
    9) UGK - Ridin Dirty
    10) K-Rino - Stories From The Black Book

this is a pretty solid list...although Ridin Dirty pretty much would be my number #1 album.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    isn't bone from cincinati or have i been living a lie for 10 years?

Don't trash the nati. I think they're from the mistake on the lake.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    what is it with you rap dudes and the CONSTANT need to represent?

CORNY

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    what is it with you rap dudes and the CONSTANT need to represent?

CORNY

'Cause that shit's the 11th element of hip hop. Do the knowledge before you step into the cipher, God.