eBay sign in scam???

ozboundozbound 31 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I just tried to log in to My eBay on www.ebay.com and got this supposedly secure form (https:/...etc) asking for mother's maiden name, credit card info, bank accounts etc. Tried ebay.ca and was not asked for same but tried paypal and got same message. Anyone else getting this or am I just lucky? Can this possibly be legit with "Please enter as more information...etc"??????Attention!!!We have noticed an increasing fraudulent activity recently. In order to provide your security and protect you from fraudsters we have introduced a new system of identification that will help us to avoid any kind of fraud or unauthorised access.Please enter as more information as possible to provide your complete identification and to activate all the features of the new system.

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    If they're asking for bank or cc info, it's a scam.

• close out all your browser windows than just try www.ebay.com

ebay scams are probably the most common scams right now just make sure you always go to www.ebay.com and never click on the links from emails or whatever.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    I'd clean out my cache and then run Adaware and Spybot if I were you. Sounds like you've got something nasty on your computer.

• I'd clean out my cache and then run Adaware and Spybot if I were you. Sounds like you've got something nasty on your computer.
    allow me to get ignorant right quick

how does one clean out ones cache?
    what exactly is stored in ones cache?
    are there any negative effects to doing it?

is this the same as deleting temporary internet files??

I'd clean out my cache and then run Adaware and Spybot if I were you. Sounds like you've got something nasty on your computer.

is this the same as deleting temporary internet files??

Exactly the same. On Firefox it's real easy. You just click on 'tools' (top bar) and then 'clear private data'. You want to delete at least the 'cache' and the 'cookies'.

On Explorer it's 'tools' then 'internet options' then 'delete cookies' and 'delete files' in the 'general' tab.

Oh...deleting this removes any tojans/spyware that may be in your cache as well as cookies that are tracking you. It lowers the chance of anyone getting hold of any of your private details and hijack your computer, etc. It's not as good as running Spybot or Adaware but it's much quicker and it keeps everything fresh and clean.

The downside is you have to re sign into any forums/sites you were auto signed into. There may be other bits of into stored on cookies that's useful to you that you'll lose. eg if have items in a 'shopping basket' they will disappear.

• thanks for the info blighty
    i already do that delete temp internet files biz.
    im hainvg trouble getting ad-aware to update, and i was wondering if the cache might be the problem.
    when i connect to update it craps out after 5% and wants me to finish and try again, i might just have to redownload and install the program.

• ozboundozbound 31 Posts
    Thanks for all, but still a mystery. Cleared browser cache, ran Trend Micro and Adaware and found nothing and still this is happening so changed password just to be safe (via eBay.ca).