disappointing drums on a rap record

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Liquid Swords always bums me out. I love that album, but the drums are on some pitter patter rain drop shit.

Comments

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Holy shit.

I was thinking about the wack sound for the "Gold" track on LS before I opened this thread.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

What about these?

-"Tical"-Method Man.
    -"Triumph"-Wu-Tang Clan.
    -"Three Feet High and Rising"-De La Soul.
    -"Wrath of the Math"-Jeru the Damaja (I can't listen to this CD anymore, dreadfully boring all around).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    "Lucifer" and "Encore" both have horrible drums.

Most of Premier's recent output.

• no doubt...a lot of that early-mid RZA, though dope overall, has those forgettable weak drums.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i can't imagine different drums on any of the early wu stuff

• i can't imagine different drums on any of the early wu stuff

it's hard to now, but how satusfying would it have been to hear some raw, loud in your face drums on some of those joints, versus the this, drum library jawns that are mixed kinda low?

• Ras Kass Soul On Ice ---yuck!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    some of the beats on that kankick "seeing spirits" sound like they were recorded from a cellphone speaker.. ringtone quality beats. strange because a lot of his other beats on the same album sound nice.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I tend to just not say anything negative about Liquid Swords...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Priceless Liquid Swords Relic from the neighborhood:

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Ummmm - BDP Criminal Minded LP

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    yeah, you just put a bug in my ear on my next listen to liquid swords, like everythingelse on the board, thanks buddy.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    yeah, you just put a bug in my ear on my next listen to liquid swords, like everythingelse on the board, thanks buddy.

• ive been stale on dre's drum programming for awhile now.. kick-hat-snare-hat-kick-hat-snare-hat...

whats disappointing with method man-tical or wrath of the math??

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    whats disappointing with method man-tical or wrath of the math??

The drums on both of those LPs sound tired (too muddy and blah). Plus, the mix on "Tical" overall is atrocious.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I dig the drums on liquid swords and tical. the whole shit is muddy, raw, and simple. too many producers like to get all complicated with the drums. simple drums just makes the lyrics pop more. and this is comine from someone who has played drums for over a decade.

I dig the drums on liquid swords and tical. the whole shit is muddy, raw, and simple. too many producers like to get all complicated with the drums. simple drums just makes the lyrics pop more. and this is comine from someone who has played drums for over a decade.

I've played drums for 32 years, and I like 'em snappy and crisp, ala Clyde Stubblefield.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• you ever run into problems with your wrists (seriously)?

besides, those albums are too grimey for the funky drummer

• Ummmm - BDP Criminal Minded LP

Fuck ya. South Bronx has horrible drums I don't care what anybody says.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I dig the drums on liquid swords and tical. the whole shit is muddy, raw, and simple. too many producers like to get all complicated with the drums. simple drums just makes the lyrics pop more. and this is comine from someone who has played drums for over a decade.

I'm not talking about the patterns, I'm talking about the sound of the drums. The pattenrs are great, but they sound like they're coming out of my neighbors stereo instead of mine.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I tend to just not say anything negative about Liquid Swords...

b/w