Should I move back to NY?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    New York is better than ever, and it's still the capitol of planet earth.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    in another life, i hope i'm born a city kid.

seriously.

The wealth of culture also doesn't intrigue me very much

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I remember seeing a pay-by-the-hour fishing tank set up in the middle of a mall once. That was pathetic.

If you were in a mall, you probably weren't in "the city"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

It's a rare and beautiful thing when a picture captures the essence of one's soul.

• I remember seeing a pay-by-the-hour fishing tank set up in the middle of a mall once. That was pathetic.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

"The mall" is a trapping of suburbia.

You're in Minnesota, right? Biggest mall in America.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    The whole I hate "hipsters & trust funders" arguement as a reason not to move to NYC is laughable. Are these people chasing you down the street?

Such small focus of the population that one can easily avoid in any location is a massive focal point of every city conversation. Why is this always brought up?

NYC has 7 million people. There are annoying people everywhere you go. LA especially.

NYC shits on LA in every aspect of urban living. Sorry.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I remember seeing a pay-by-the-hour fishing tank set up in the middle of a mall once. That was pathetic.

Stop lying, son!

The last time I saw you, you were trying to close the shoppe early so you could go pay to fish by the hour in a glorified kiddie pool in front of Roc Center.

He has our number! It is futile for us cityfolks to attempt to deceive bobo further.

I would like to move somewhere more middle of the road where it rains a good part of the year, costs less, isn't too sheltered, rural or conservative and has a good social atmosphere.

Can anyone name a place where there's "good" weather, inexpensive rents, semi-"cultured", a little nature w/ a "functioning" downtown, and a good "partytime" scene?

I would like to move somewhere more middle of the road where it rains a good part of the year, costs less, isn't too sheltered, rural or conservative and has a good social atmosphere.

Can anyone name a place where there's "good" weather, inexpensive rents, semi-"cultured", a little nature w/ a "functioning" downtown, and a good "partytime" scene?

Atlanta

Atlanta

That's funny, 'cause i was thinking that while I was writing.

You're the man to confirm this.

Atlanta

Pffft. AKA, "New York South"? Figures.

Atlanta

Where is Richmond VA. on this.

Atlanta

I ain't hearda that.

Atlanta

I ain't hearda that.

LOL.

Last time I was there it seemed the Caucasiods and the Local Black Exp were still kinda separate in "social atmospheres".

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    It depends on what you prefer....

NYC Beckys

Those girls are from Jersey.

Who cares...
    Fake or not the chick on the right has stare worthy breasties!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Let me guess, came to Portland to work at W*#den and K#nn%dy?

you got it ! They weren't hiring....

Maybe it was for the best. I've known a few people who worked their over the years,
    and it's been 50/50 loved it/hated it type place.
    They do amazing stuff though, no doubt about that.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Atlanta

Is there more than one Richmond, VA? Because the one I've been living in for the past 4 years is seriously lacking the good "partytime" and weather you speak of.

Atlanta

Is there more than one Richmond, VA? Because the one I've been living in for the past 4 years is seriously lacking the good "partytime" and weather you speak of.

I was questioning whether or not Richmond would qualify as a MOR city? U answerd my question.
    And could u break it down on why/what Richmond lacks. It is a college town right?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Let me guess, came to Portland to work at W*#den and K#nn%dy?

you got it ! They weren't hiring....

Maybe it was for the best. I've known a few people who worked their over the years,
    and it's been 50/50 loved it/hated it type place.
    They do amazing stuff though, no doubt about that.

This is true. I've met a few nice people from Wieden & Kennedy, but the firm has plenty of douche bags too. In fact, Dan Wieden himself is a bit of a douche. For some years he has worked closely with the University of Oregon's journalism school and not too long ago he led a workshop where he assigned students individual tasks to help them "face their fears." These tasks included telling a female student to run naked across a golf course. Other students were assigned things like objecting at a wedding or faking a seizure in a shopping mall. While these things may not seem that outrageous, there's no denying that his behavior was extremely unprofessional. What was crazy about it, though, was that after these events came to light, U of O responded by issuing a public apology to Wieden & Kennedy for the whole mess.

• I would like to move somewhere more middle of the road where it rains a good part of the year, costs less, isn't too sheltered, rural or conservative and has a good social atmosphere.

AUSTIN!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Austin has inexpensive rents?

*edit: I just checked craigslist and apparently they do. For some reason I imagined they'd be higher.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

hahaha....

The Reel USA.....

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Florida looks hella WIDE.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno between NY and LA I would take LA... If LA had a subway system/train system it would eclipse NY pretty quick IMO. The only issue I have with LA is the sprawl, but other than that the city is dope. Echo Park to Silverlake to West side to South Central to Downtown all different types. if they could unify the city with a train system it would be an amazing city.

The two are just very different ways of life.

LA or NY was a toss up for me. I gotta say though, when its 65-70 out here in LA and NY is in the middle of an Ice Storm/Blizzard from hell I am pretty content being in LA.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    as someone who's left NY, I'd move back in a second if I could. I'm not unhappy where I'm at, but I miss my friends, The Knicks and my city more and wind up spending more going back to the Boro than I would if I just fucking lived there. If you do indeed move back - want half a season of the Knicks???

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Plus, there's a wealth of culture in cities, particularly those on the coasts, that you just don't find elsewhere. A sort of worldliness, where people think of themselves as connected to world culture, rather than just a denizen of (INSERT LOCALITY).

yeah while chicago's certainly a lot better for this than the rest of the midwest it is kind of missing it in a way that NY/LA aren't. Sometimes I think its a good thing, the sense of 'this is a real american city,' other times i would kind of rather be in the center of it all. but i like my home.

also, i want to know who else living in a major city is paying less than 400$ a month in rent...

i would maybe like to live in ny some day, when i need a new start. i will come back here, though.

LA or NY was a toss up for me. I gotta say though, when its 65-70 out here in LA and NY is in the middle of an Ice Storm/Blizzard from hell I am pretty content being in LA.