late pass GOOD GOD melted my face & saved my soul

jleejlee 1,539 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i know this album was addressed here before, put i just got around to picking it up a few weeks back.it is absolutely amazing. highly recommended if you too have not yet heard it.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, it really is ridiculously good. Discussion of it has been sorta though for some reason.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't recognize the cover. Name?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Good God comp on Numero

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts

what a great selection of music. quality from start to finish. numero group in general has been doing serious work.

only comp that comes close/exceeds it lately is Sister Funk 2 on Jazzman for me. Another absolute gem of a compilation.

Which brings up a question; what comps end up in your dj (if you dj) bag regularly.

For me, the two mentioned and that Darker Than Blue comp are getting alot of play and alot of love.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    dope. i've got to check this out. I have that Mighty Voices Of Wonder track and love it. Those opening drums are

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    just picked it up, havent even listened yet. very excited.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    For me, the two mentioned and that Darker Than Blue comp are getting alot of play and alot of love.

i know this sounds silly, but that 'darker than blue' comp really changed me. it's been out some 3-4 years now and i constantly listen to it and recommend it to people when the opportunity arises.

as for comps that get regular burn from me still, the 'mellow,mellow' comps always get love during the spring/summer time. it's all songs we have heard/own (i.e. nothing too raer) but it's just a solid mix of tracks.

links to the m/m album below if you are curious.

vol 1.

vol 2.

btw, probably a lil' dude question, but if anyone knows where to find the JB "king heroin instr." let a dude know. that instrumental is awesome.

• btw, probably a lil' dude question, but if anyone knows where to find the JB "king heroin instr." let a dude know. that instrumental is awesome.

Its on the b-side of the "King Heroin" 45

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's pretty good but not consistently amazing enough to be absolutely essential, in my honest and level-headed opinion. C+/B-

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's pretty good but not consistently amazing enough to be absolutely essential, in my honest and level-headed opinion. C+/B-

But you are a Godless man.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i like this comp a lot

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I challenge Reynaldo to post the tracklist of the superior gospel funk comp that he is no doubt capable of assembling.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bassie, what is that?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

60s/70s Euro psych for 60s/70s Euro psych toys like me.
    i bought it for the Mogols track and really like the whole thing now

Sweet Movin
    Mecki Mark Men

Almost Grown
    Great Bear

Crying Shame
    Frijid Pink

QE2
    Black Cat Bones

Vamos Tratar da Saude
    Rita Lee

Back in the Dark
    Klaus Doldinger play!

City Walk
    Niagra

Nekem Sly Mindegy
    Illes

Sunrise
    Sunbirds

Sunset in Golden Horn
    Mogol

Lady Blue
    Et Cetera

Karate
    Breakout

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

I challenge Reynaldo to post the tracklist of the superior gospel funk comp

With caveats - no Savoy, Stax, or other mid-level labels. 18 tracks, notes, and proper licensing.

The world waits...

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

With caveats - no Savoy, Stax, or other mid-level labels. 18 tracks, notes, and proper licensing.

The world waits...

And he can't refer to either Breck's or my collection.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

The world waits...

And he can't refer to either Breck's or my collection.

If we hadn't just finished a record together, I'd think you were zinging me.

Did Rob forward you the PDF of the booklet and slipcase?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

---

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Bud: You are full of shit. Cliff Gober, Shacklefords, and Trevor Dandy? And the Voices of Conquest? Game over. Have you even heard of the One Way label? (smiley face)

...and to everyone else: If we're counting, does HSE count as a "mid-level?" Because my new Gospel mix'll have one (if not two) HSE tracks. I shouldn't wish to have my "Giant Of Raers" pass revoked.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Sunset in Golden Horn
    Mogol

Thread interruption to say that after getting ahold of the Mogol album for that one track I'd heard on Cherrystone I am currently in love with their whole sound.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    oh yes...my lord...this comp is pure

can we get a "Good God!" graemlin?

I challenge Reynaldo to post the tracklist of the superior gospel funk comp that he is no doubt capable of assembling.
    I need not post any such tracklist; if superior gospel funk tracks exist, know that they would be on my list.

I need not post any such tracklist; if superior gospel funk tracks exist, know that they would be on my list.

So that's a "I don't know any superior gospel tracks" then?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So that's a "I don't know any superior gospel tracks" then?

Right, but if he did ... then ... um ... they would be on his list

Reasons why e-digging sucks, part 8: you can't learn what other people don't know already.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

"If"?

So it's doubtful whether or not superior gospel tracks actually exist?

Following from which, an album consisting of 17 of what may, in fact, be the 17 best gospel tracks merely rates a C+?

I guess gospel is just not a good genre.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Faced!

"If"?

So it's doubtful whether or not superior gospel tracks actually exist?

Following from which, an album consisting of 17 of what may, in fact, be the 17 best gospel tracks merely rates a C+?

I guess gospel is just not a good genre.
    I'm talking about gospel funk specifically, not non-funk(y) gospel, traditional gospel, soul gospel, or gospel soul.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Reasons why e-digging sucks, part 8: you can't learn what other people don't know already.

false.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    this comp is really good btw and i don't usually mess with comps at all.