Amy Winehouse

13»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I can say that the hype around her has had its desired effect, even more so than I would have thought: she's become the highest debuting British female artist in American history.

Yeah. Her name was brought up at a PBS conference I attended. The speaker started talking about marketing strategies and brought up her name, then paused and said, "Well, if you haven't heard of her yet, you will soon."

When you're a current artist and PBS is talking about your music, you're usually either ubiquitous, or you appeal to the hoity-toity set.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I see. My mistake.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    my first post in this thread...drove the Donger into an each-one-teach-one smart-assed history lesson into the history of sampling. Read it, if you dare....

What's not to like.

well, for one, it doesnt sound like the vocals are integrated with the music very well...she just sounds like a neo-RnB singer singing over a produced track...not a singer singing with a live band...Im not feeling how it is put together.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

When you're a current artist and PBS is talking about your music, you're usually either ubiquitous, or you appeal to the hoity-toity set.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

*right-click and.....save*

Holy shit. Dude, that's going into a few emails around the office, and I guarantee it'll spread like wild

Of course, I may eventually catch shit from the Masterpiece Theatre folks. Not much of a sense of humor with them.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Are y'all fucking with this chick or what?

why the hell are we having another thread on this chick

Right?

But at least Ms. Katherine-Whalen-meets-Divine has Meth Edge. THAT oughtta learn those parents.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    what if she was asian?

I would be trying to holler.

mega
    eye
    roll

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I think his point was that it's ass backwards, and a terrific waste, to bring a great live band into a studio if you're going to make them sound like a loop.

You just broke lurking Questlove's little heart.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    She reminds me of Dido because, if not for her collab with a rapper I like, I would have no idea who she was or ever heard her music. I've never heard a Joss Stone song, either. This kind of schitt is like S Club 7 for diggers.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'd just wanted to add, to who ever said about Miss Winehouse needing to play more dates with a live band, that she's been sing live and touring for many years now, so you would've thought she would have some skill by now. (not that I'm saying she's great tho.) But if you listern to M Ronson's other recent productions, like his Radiohead cover and his new solo lp, there's a similar sound.

Winehouse's nothing new over this side of the Atlantic, so its hard to understand all the excitment. But whoever does the promotion for the 'white girls sing black music' (see Stone, Winehouse Sovereign) when they cross over to America is pretty good at their job.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Winehouse's nothing new over this side of the Atlantic, so its hard to understand all the excitment. But whoever does the promotion for the 'white girls sing black music' (see Stone, Winehouse Sovereign) when they cross over to America is pretty good at their job.

now this is a more thread-worthy strut race topic!

Do 'white girls sing black music' acts get more hype in the US than in the UK? If so how/why?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

now this is a more thread-worthy strut race topic!

Do 'white girls sing black music' acts get more hype in the US than in the UK? If so how/why?

They get hype over here too, although maybe not in the same way.
    We don't have the strong, black r&b scene that the US does. But it is strange that the artists that have made it across 'the pond' in recent years fit the description. Like some reverse Elvis type shit.

• amy winehouse looks like sarah silverman's cousin....
    them jewish beeyaches are crazy...
    they will cut you and take your credit card

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    amy winehouse looks like sarah silverman's cousin....
    them jewish beeyaches are crazy...
    they will cut you and take your credit card

b/w