Amy Winehouse

Comments

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Hey Dongless.....

I was merely disatisfied with how it sounded...I dont need some wannbe smartass telling me that kind of shit...I have an opinion on the music thats it...I dont care for neo RnB singers that are so used to singing OVER tracks and not WITH tracks...do you undterstand that? Do understand rhythm doesnt come from a quanitize button? I dont feel a real groove from the music...folks are used to the metronome perfect samble based soul music today...singing WITH a band is a whole different animal, and I prefer that, just my opinion...now sit down and shut the fuck up.

Great, I'll be sure to pass that on to them next time they are in the studio. They could learn a thing or two from your powerful insights, obviously.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Hey Dongless.....

I was merely disatisfied with how it sounded...I dont need some wannbe smartass telling me that kind of shit...I have an opinion on the music thats it...I dont care for neo RnB singers that are so used to singing OVER tracks and not WITH tracks...do you undterstand that? Do understand rhythm doesnt come from a quanitize button? I dont feel a real groove from the music...folks are used to the metronome perfect samble based soul music today...singing WITH a band is a whole different animal, and I prefer that, just my opinion...now sit down and shut the fuck up.

Great, I'll be sure to pass that on to them next time they are in the studio. They could learn a thing or two from your powerful insights, obviously.

Hey, you are the one that came with snarky smartass bullshit...I was not saying anything bad about the Dap Kings if you read what I said, (funny Otis Funkmeyer got EXACTLY what I was saying)...obviously you didnt... I am talking about neo-soul and neo-RnB singers that sing over sampled, producer beats and backing tracks...it doesnt sound right to me...the good ones, ladies like Sharon Jones and Nicole Willis seem to be in the pocket more because they sing with live bands a lot...Im sure Amy singing with the Dap Kings for 50 or 60 one-nighters might get better and her songs would sound more like soul songs...but the stuff I have heard doesnt not sound like soul music....Dongless.

Tell Neal "Hi" for me next time they are in the studio...

Eric from Memphis

• Hey Dongless.....

damn son you gonna let him just call you out like that?

• what if she was black? :5pager:

but yo...i really dig Mark Ronson and The Dap-Kings, so I can't knock 'em for that.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    what if she was asian?

• I like this chick's music. i am feeling this whole alternative to hip hop shit (Gnarls, Lily Allen, Amy etc.).

although, i don't even really like rap.

what if she was black? :5pager:

that cracker that sings for Nostalgia 77 (cant remember her name, she did the "Seven nation Army" track) seems to be able to sing "soul" over beats a lot better than most

• what if she was asian?

I would be trying to holler.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

b/w

why the hell are we having another thread on this chick

that cracker that sings for Nostalgia 77 (cant remember her name, she did the "Seven nation Army" track) seems to be able to sing "soul" over beats a lot better than most

Alice Russell? I have a few things by her and it's cool in small doses.

I'm not questioning her singing ability or if she has the right to sing soul music. I'm just really curious if she would be this be this type of a media darling if she was black. Really I'm not sure.

that cracker[/b] that sings for Nostalgia 77 (cant remember her name, she did the "Seven nation Army" track) seems to be able to sing "soul" over beats a lot better than most

that cracker[/b] that sings for Nostalgia 77 (cant remember her name, she did the "Seven nation Army" track) seems to be able to sing "soul" over beats a lot better than most

when in rome

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    as much as i enjoy referring to white people as crackers, alice russell doesn't really deserve that

• you can't be a racist with caton in the avatar dunny. black devil fo life batches!!!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Alice Russell is a way more soulful vocalist than Amy Winehouse. I am still feeling Amy's album though , I know what you are saying about the production , it is a certain sound and effect that Ronson went for and I personally think it is cool but I can see where you are coming from regarding the live off the floor feel that is missing from the tracks.

holy crap that is a run on sentence if i've ever seen one.

p.s. any reason you called alice russell a cracker?

as much as i enjoy referring to white people as crackers, alice russell doesn't really deserve that

I was just being inflammatory on purpose with the suggested prospect of this becoming another SoulStrut race thread.

I know what you are saying about the production , it is a certain sound and effect that Ronson went for and I personally think it is cool but I can see where you are coming from regarding the live off the floor feel that is missing from the tracks.

hey Dongless...another person who understood what I was saying...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Hey Dongless.....

damn son you gonna let him just call you out like that?

yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo
    yoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyoyo!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    good live funk/soul i am currently appreciating:

p.s. file this under 'slight thread hijack'.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I know what you are saying about the production , it is a certain sound and effect that Ronson went for and I personally think it is cool but I can see where you are coming from regarding the live off the floor feel that is missing from the tracks.

No wonder you just won "producer of the year".

EDIT: Oh wait, you didn't.

• I know what you are saying about the production , it is a certain sound and effect that Ronson went for and I personally think it is cool but I can see where you are coming from regarding the live off the floor feel that is missing from the tracks.

EDIT: Oh wait, you didn't.

awww damn he talkin' mad shit right now... don't let him say that shit to you god, word up.

????

So, just because I am not a professional record producer, I do not have a right, even as a music enthusiast , to say that I think an award winning professional record producer's job on a particular record sounds like crap?

Get the fuck outta here...

Since when does winning an award for "production" guarantee a sense of entitlement for respect from everyone?

• Get the fuck outta here...

awww you know you done fucked up now right? dongless ain't havin' that shit are you man?

awww you know you done fucked up now right? dongless ain't havin' that shit are you man?

who was the dude in "Do The Right Thing" that eggs dude on when his tennis shoes get scuffed? You are cracking me up like that dude did...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

????

So, just because I am not a professional record producer, I do not have a right, even as a music enthusiast , to say that I think an award winning professional record producer's job on a particular record sounds like crap?

Since when does winning an award for "production" guarantee a sense of entitlement for respect from everyone?

Look at your first post filled with scarcasm and some snobbish live music is better than "what the kids like nowadays" tone. Don't get in a hissy fit when someone throws that shit back at you. It's the internet, you can (and hopefully will) get past this.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

No I will not stand for this.

I'm going to go home and think up a very long retaliation post. Edit it several times, then finally hit "send".

Wish me luck.

• No I will not stand for this.

I'm going to go home and think up a very long retaliation post. Edit it several times, then finally hit "send".

Wish me luck.

NOW THAS GANGSTA!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    what if she was asian?

I have nothing against you, nor do I care what color she is (only listened to a few of her tracks, OK but nothing I would listen to on a regular basis), but aren't you always vocalizing your disapproval against this dating trend? Just curious.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I'm glad someone finally recognized!

For the record, I don't even care for Amy Winhouse. I'ts a slow day at work so I am bored as hell.

Hopefully I learned some lessons today in "Crate Digging Revealed", and made a new friend/frenemy : The Hook Up!

OK, have a good week yall!

• what if she was asian?

I have nothing against you, nor do I care what color she is (only listened to a few of her tracks, OK but nothing I would listen to on a regular basis), but aren't you always vocalizing your disapproval against this dating trend? Just curious.

haha...this is awesome. Do Amy Winehouse threads also destroy people's abilities to recognize sarcasm?