Russians selling mp3s (day, einstein, thes) read..

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
http://mp3livesong.com/Can anyone school me on this? I noticed that they are selling 5 releases of mine, some of which have never even been released in a digital format. I was never contacted about this, nor am I making any money off of it. I noticed that they have pretty much everything, from major label to indie stuff. I checked to see some other Soul Strut members and saw:DJ DayPeople Under the StairsUgly DucklingA-koSixtooKon And AmirCosmo and Ayres - they are selling the Scion cd.O-dub I'm not kidding, basically everyone I could think of off the top of my head has come up with something on there. Is this legal? It's defintely not "supporting" my work as they say. Here are some quotes:http://mp3livesong.com/Help/"Buying music through mp3livesong.com means that you are supporting the artists work, and in some cases you are getting mp3???s encoded by the artists themselves.""?he availability over the Internet of the mp3livesong.com materials is authorized by the license of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS). In accordance to the licenses' terms mp3livesong.com pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited."selling downloads of free scion cds

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Maybe it's not a Russian site, but it's claiming Russian laws. I have no idea if it's run by Russians. Anyways, any knowledge would be appreaciated.

Google searches turned up nothing. I checked the BBB.

• hmmm. . .well to be quite honest. i'm not sure about this site. man! they even got our snippet tapes(promotional) up in there for sale. gotta be some shady stuff going down. dont know dude. all i can say is i hope people are smart enough to buy from legit spots like i-tunes etc. . .cause' we aint gonna see a cent of that cheese.
    peace, stein. . .

• aiya, that is so dodgy! i guess that's one of the bad things about the way the net has grown, opens up new "opportunities" for the unscrupulous... good luck for all being "represented" by these cats...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    It's an illegal Russian site. There was no rights collection agency in Russia dealing with digital sales so the boys behind the illegal MP3 sites set up their own 'official' collection house. That way they can say that they pay monies to a rights collection body. Which is technically true except that they it appears they are the sole beneficiaries and no money has ever found its way back to the actual rightsholders.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I would question whether or not that site even has anything to do with music. Chances are they only have the names of artists on the site, and the real business is in installing spyware/adware/malware on your computer.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    "I gave my credit card number to a Russian mafia-run music site and all I got was [insert crime here]"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    http://mp3livesong.com/

Can anyone school me on this? I noticed that they are selling 5 releases of mine, some of which have never even been released in a digital format. I was never contacted about this, nor am I making any money off of it.

I noticed that they have pretty much everything, from major label to indie stuff. I checked to see some other Soul Strut members and saw:

DJ Day
    People Under the Stairs
    Ugly Duckling
    A-ko
    Sixtoo
    Kon And Amir
    Cosmo and Ayres - they are selling the Scion cd.
    O-dub

I'm not kidding, basically everyone I could think of off the top of my head has come up with something on there.

Is this legal? It's defintely not "supporting" my work as they say.

Here are some quotes:

http://mp3livesong.com/Help/

"Buying music through mp3livesong.com means that you are supporting the artists work, and in some cases you are getting mp3???s encoded by the artists themselves."

"?he availability over the Internet of the mp3livesong.com materials is authorized by the license of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society (ROMS). In accordance to the licenses' terms mp3livesong.com pays license fees for all materials downloaded from the site subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All these materials are solely for personal use. Any further distribution, resale or broadcasting are prohibited."

selling downloads of free scion cds

both my records are on there too. i made both using uncleared samples, so i can only get so mad... If this is the worst thing karma has in store for me, i'll take it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Damn !

• Damn !

these cats even have my EP up there! That's pretty crazy that they dug deep enough (there weren't even that many pressed) and recorded the whole thing to digital format. They're definitely putting in work, bootylegged as it may be.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    No Heitkotter =

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I would bet they are grabbing these off of Soulseek. I don't see a Russian mp3-ring going around buying up indie vinyl releases to rip.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Haha I was gonna ask about this. Me and Z got ganked by like 3 of these sites, but fuck it what are ya gonna do? They have previews with the little "Bring it back...rewind" sound going.

• what's the deal with soulseek? does that shit work for mac? plaes excuse the ignorance. sounds like something I need to be on a long time ago.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    This is nothing really that new. There have been Russian mp3 sites for yearssss now doing this. With the biggest probably being allofmp3. Which had some pretty interesting drama going on around 6 months ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allofmp3

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I would bet they are grabbing these off of Soulseek. I don't see a Russian mp3-ring going around buying up indie vinyl releases to rip.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Haha, they've even got some stuff i did and i've hardly produced anything outside my bedroom... If they're getting it off soulseek then they must have a lot of patience!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Haha, they've even got some stuff i did and i've hardly produced anything outside my bedroom... If they're getting it off soulseek then they must have a lot of patience!

I had some tracks of mine show up on a similar site a few years back that had, at least to my knowledge, only been sent to a few heads via AIM.

Once shit goes digital you never know where it'll end up. I keep that in mind now before sending out unfinished tracks over the net. Quality control is a bitch.

• On December 18, 2006,[11] the RIAA, on behalf of EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group filed a $1.67 trillion lawsuit against the site. That equates to $150,000 for each of 11 million songs downloaded between June to October 2006, and exceeds Russia's entire GDP.[12][13] $150,000 is the statutory limit for copyright infringement awards in the United States.[14]

$1.67 trillion

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    damn, they got all my stuff on there too.

so, has anyone actually purchased mp3's from this site?

seems mad

so...are we all going to get together and go beat them up?

I guess i'll file a better business bureau complaint today. Others sould do it as well.

Like Delay said, maybe it's karma for sampling, but the thing that kills me is that they are selling promotional stuff. They are selling a promotional cd of mine that you could only get for free if you ordered a mix cd from a store in japan.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    my schitts are up there too, along with Dreas. Someone track these fools down! I demand payment, even though maybe 3 people downloaded them at 1$ a track. I want my cut bitches!

• I guess i'll file a better business bureau complaint today. Others sould do it as well.

This will do absolutely NOTHING, except make you feel like you tried. This is just a an indication of the larger problem which is that Russia is geographically the largest corrupt country in the world.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I want my cut bitches!

Awww... they even have a nice little unauthorized rehash page. Cute.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this is insane

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    They have an old mixtape of mine as well as the 12-inch I recently dropped. Fucking hell.

this is insane

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Lavamus.com seems to be the real culprit here. mp3livesong.com is just piggy-backing off of them and adding advertisements.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    On December 18, 2006,[11] the RIAA, on behalf of EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music Group, and Warner Music Group filed a $1.67 trillion lawsuit against the site. That equates to $150,000 for each of 11 million songs downloaded between June to October 2006, and exceeds Russia's entire GDP.[12][13] $150,000 is the statutory limit for copyright infringement awards in the United States.[14]

No one will accomplish anything that their lawyers can't.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    But downloading doesn't really hurt sales at all right?

Just sayin.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    But downloading doesn't really hurt sales at all right?

Just sayin.

I like the after-school special tone of this. and hey kids, also remember to not steal cabel or smoke pot... you'll end up getting pregnant and missing you're grandma's 90th birthday.

I guess i'll file a better business bureau complaint today. Others sould do it as well.

This will do absolutely NOTHING, except make you feel like you tried. This is just a an indication of the larger problem which is that Russia is geographically the largest corrupt country in the world.

yeah, I went through a bunch of the steps, but realized it would be pointless. I just don't understand how Drama can get taken down and something like this can exist. Right on the front page you see stuff like Amy Winehouse, Beyonce, and Fergie.

The best part is the "Is it legal?" in the FAQ.