"Light my fire"coverMP3request(Dying Wish Related)

dirtyelitedirtyelite 31 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Can i get any and all obscure 'Light my fire' covers please. thanks guys!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You ever heard of soulseek? You can get a lot on there.

• Assuming that aint sarcasm, i have indeed heard of SoulSeek. I'm not on my own computer i'm with a friend that is really interested in hearing some 'Light my Fire' covers. who better to ask than SS?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    No sarcasm. You can really find a lot on soulseek. I'll try to post some tomorrow night. The Shirley Bassey verion is what you need to start of with. Her cover is

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    27 posts, and asking for favors???

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    27 posts, and asking for favors???

and its not even a specific request.
    this place is wilin' lately.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    the kenny dope remix of the said bassey cover is, well, dope.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Personally, I can't stand Shirley Bassey's voice, although this is more bearable than most of her stuff and for me the Kenny Dope remix is better than the original. For the same orchestration without her vocals I soothe my troubled soul with Johnny Harris's version on his excellent Movements LP. Ananda Shankar or Erma Franklin do my favourite versions although Al Green's is up there too. Soulseek.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    some one who knows what the version on ontrack 3 or 4 is?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You're not going to top the full-length Doors version with the solo. If that song didn't top the charts it would have this status written all over it (don't even try to deny that):

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Not rare but I am partial to the Jose Feliciano version

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the Julie Driscoll version is near perfect.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Bob Thiele and the Happy Times Orchestra. (features Gabor Szabo, california dreamers, all the west coast hippy impulse typicals)

nice version

and a cosign on the Ananda Shankar version. Killer.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Here are some of my favourite versions:

But yeah, i've heard over 25 versions and without a doubt Gabor Szabo's version (as mentioned above) is the best i've ever heard.

Gabor, Tom Scott & Bill Plummer go mental on this version and are killing it.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

I'd love to hear this version. Do you have a soundfile of this by any chance?

Also, if anyone knows of any other Doors songs that got covered and are any good i'd like to know.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

I'd love to hear this version. Do you have a soundfile of this by any chance?

Also, if anyone knows of any other Doors songs that got covered and are any good i'd like to know.

i dont, but it was released to CD so its probably out there somewhere.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Cool, i'll try to find it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You're not going to top the full-length Doors version with the solo. If that song didn't top the charts it would have this status written all over it (don't even try to deny that):

um.............. no.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Stupid question #4000009887754859509404. How does slsk work? I registered but can't seem to figure where downloads are? Where's the Soulstrut room? Again I am an idot.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    minnie riperton does a dope version on one of her final records, should be a dollarbin find, get it!

um.............. no.

It's OK -- admitting to something as sacreligious as liking a Doors song is a big SoulStrut faux pas. But, um...........yes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It's OK -- admitting to something as sacreligious as liking a Doors song is a big SoulStrut faux pas. But, um...........yes.

You got me all wrong, pal - first off, I like the Doors plenty -
    and second, I couldn't give a hurl what is or isn't a "Soul
    Strut faux pas" at least as far as musical appreciation goes.
    I just think "Light My Fire" is a weak Doors song, find covers
    of it more pleasing than the original, and even prefer the 45 edit
    of the Doors version to the LP mix with 6 minute organ noodlefest.

So, um ............no.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Stupid question #4000009887754859509404. How does slsk work? I registered but can't seem to figure where downloads are? Where's the Soulstrut room? Again I am an idot.

Hey

You can find an answer to your question here:

Soulseek guide for the dummies

Peace

You got me all wrong, pal - first off, I like the Doors plenty -
    and second, I couldn't give a hurl what is or isn't a "Soul
    Strut faux pas" at least as far as musical appreciation goes.
    I just think "Light My Fire" is a weak Doors song, find covers
    of it more pleasing than the original, and even prefer the 45 edit
    of the Doors version to the LP mix with 6 minute organ noodlefest.

So, um ............no.

Fair enough. I like noodles (sometimes).

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    don't forget

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Find that "Post a mix" thread from a few days back. One of the mixes has something like six versions on there in a row. Just play that for your friend.

• If your new to the song Light my Fire (then all you need is purchase this 16 track cd online ( A Collection Of Various Interpretations Of Light My Fire ) it oes not cover all the raer versions, but it has all the versions everyone is mentioning on this thread... hope that helps better late then never.

Edmundo Ros & His Orchestra - Erma Franklin - Al Green - Mike Flower Pops - Clarence Carter - Minnie Ripperton feat. Jos?? Feliciano - Jackie Wilson - Shirley Bassey - Booker T. & The Mg??s - The Four Tops - Etta James - Horst Jankowski - Tony Hatch Orchestra - Issac Hayes - Young Holt Unlimited - Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity

• Africa off Music from little brown. nice conga solo in the middle.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    i have the ananda shankar version, thats my favourite track of that record. didnt realize it was light my fire before you wrote it! hah