Anyone want to pay $50 for an unplayable record?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Just saw this on eBay. What is this guy thinking?"THE CHARMELS - AS LONG AS I'VE GOT YOU / BABY COME AND GET ITThis is an extremely rare 7???-record on the legendary VOLT label, the second label of the STAX record company.The record is extremely rare, you won't see many of these. It's in terrible condition, the labels are bad, the vinyl is even worse. In fact, the vinyl is unplayable, but very rare.I will not accept a return of this record, as I think I've given a description that is clear, this is for the collector only, who wants to own it, not for your jukebox! This is the only item I'm selling without a return option!"http://cgi.ebay.com/VOLT-V-155-CHARMELS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• thats the group w/ the cream beat right? same track?

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

thats the group w/ the cream beat right? same track?

correct

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

lucky for me, my record is playable. : /

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    $50? Fuck that, I'm putting a sween on that motherfucker. What? It's "extremely rare"--it says so right there in the description!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I saw that. Hell, I'll pay $40 for a VG+ version. Takers?

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    this auction has got "Dildo!" written all over it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

correct

What the bidder saw but the owner and all you all missed was that this copy is signed by Jessie!!!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    this auction has got "Dildo!" written all over it.

why i already own a VG+ dildo version, thank you.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts

correct

What the bidder saw but the owner and all you all missed was that this copy is signed by Jessie!!!

wait, what? this is my personal copy, and, yes, it is signed by jessie (wol) - whoever that is!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

is this a reference to clueless record sellers who assume any signature on anything means its more valuable? last weekend i found a few no-name private press lps that were $5 more expensive than anything else because they were "SIGNED!!!!!!!!!"

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    $50 is what manship rates a M- copy.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    $50? Fuck that, I'm putting a sween on that motherfucker.

Excellent use of a sween.

Hi Sween.

JRoot

• $50 is what manship rates a M- copy.

This is one time where Manship is actually undervaluing something. I think the going rate is more like $150-$175 (at least it was when I was paying attention about a year ago).

• What the bidder saw but the owner and all you all missed was that this copy is signed by Jessie!!!

is this a reference to clueless record sellers who assume any signature on anything means its more valuable? last weekend i found a few no-name private press lps that were $5 more expensive than anything else because they were "SIGNED!!!!!!!!!"

joke?

• How about paying $400 for a $25 dollar record?

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SOUL-SOCIETY-SAT...VQQcmdZViewItem

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    $50 is what manship rates a M- copy.

This is one time where Manship is actually undervaluing something. I think the going rate is more like $150-$175 (at least it was when I was paying attention about a year ago).

In the ball park. The average is just a little lower.

The last couple I saw on ebay:

$193
    $179
    $80
    $75
    $143.49
    $52 VG
    $104.20
    $133.50

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    How about paying $850 for a shattered record??

I AM SELLING THESE BEAUTIFUL ELVIS SUN 78 RECORDS THAT I RECENTLY RECEIVED IN PIECES FROM RECORDS AT THE LAKE !!

NOT WISHING TO LOSE MONEY I OFFER THEM AT THE SAME PRICE I PAID!

A SO-CALLED MONEY BACK GUARANTEE WHEN I BOUIGHT THEM WAS NOT HONORED - BUT I GIVE YOU A GUARANTEE THAT IF THEY ARE NOT AVBSOLUTELY USELESS I WILL GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK IN FULL

THESE TWO VERY EXPENSIVE SUN 78'S WERE SENT WRAPPED TO ME IN TWO 12" PAPER SLEEVES WITHIN SHEETS OF BENDABLE CARDBOARD! - GUESS WHAT...

YES YOU CAN SEE THE RESULTS.....

NO REFUND - NO OFFER OF COMPENSATION

APPARANTLY..... IT WAS THE POST OFFICE'S FAULT

.... YEAAH RIGHT!!!!

I PAID INSTANTANEOUSLY IN GOOD FAITH AS I ALWAYS DO -

THEN I GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACK BECAUSE NOT SUPRISINGLY I LEFT NEGATIVE FEEDBACK WHEN THESE RECORDS ARRIVED!

THE PACKAGE ALSO ARRIVED 8 WEEKS LATE - SO IT WAS TOO LATE TO OPEN A DISPUTE THROUGH eBaY OR PAYPAL!!

SO THIS IS MY ONLY RECOURSE TO WARN ALL YOU HONEST PEOPLE !

IT'S THINGS LIKE THIS THAT GIVE eBaY A BAD NAME!!!

BROKEN-SUN-ELVIS-RECORDS-FROM-DEALER-REORDS-ATTHE-LAKE

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    How about paying $400 for a $25 dollar record?

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SOUL-SOCIETY-SAT...VQQcmdZViewItem

"OTHER INFO~EXTRAS INCLUDED: MEGA MEGA RARE Mod Soul/Jazz Boogaloo. THIS LP IS UNSEEN!!! AND RATS A #7 ON RAITY ON A FEW DIFFERENT PRIVATE PRICE GUIDES. TYPE IN GOOGLE..."

im sold