artists you just can't stand....

Comments

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    it was all i had with his name on it. i was trying to give him a chance. ill check for the albums that were posted.
    as for Minnie Ripperton
    check her version of Les Flur, its heat.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    in retrospect, looking at the title of the thread, this was the wrong place to drop that.

man I just don't know if there is a right place to drop that.

then again:

Hey, ultimatlely you like what you like (or don't).

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    it was all i had with his name on it.

You're young, this much is true, but there is NO excuse for that. Stevie is everywhere and anywhere, and again I wonder what some folks are doing on here without owning the most basic of basic.
    Not a diss, just saying.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Stevie's music occupies a sacred place in my heart and soul for so many, real, reasons. It's the first popular music I remember since my mom used to play me his records and sing them to me as a lullaby.

One likes what they like, but like Batman said, context and exposure. The same song has sounded insanely different to me at different times in my life. It's what I know, my moods, how I listen, etc. etc.

My girlfriend was born in 81, ten years after me. When she told me she didn't like Stevie, I was slightly asshurt. She didn't like his voice, and I was like, "Wah?"

So I played her some essential stuff, and some of his contemporaries. Then I played some modern stuff and said, "Do you hear Stevie in there? You do, huh."

She's coming around.

I just think that these kids were coming up in a real cheesey era. They didn't have the seventies to balance it out.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    it was all i had with his name on it.

You're young, this much is true, but there is NO excuse for that. Stevie is everywhere and anywhere, and again I wonder what some folks are doing on here without owning the most basic of basic.
    Not a diss, just saying.

If you are 13-17....you are young, everyone else is an adult. Sorry.

Even "I Just Called to Say I Love You" has more melodic genius, talent and soul behind it than 98% of what passes for pop and soul nowadays, and if you have ears and an interest in capital 'S' SOUL music, I don't see how Stevie Wonder can rub you the wrong way in the least. Sure, idol worship can be off-putting, but to slander yourself by saying that Stevie's music somehow doesn't come correct....well, it's just sad.

And as for Prince, I would love to hear what 80s music you feel more fully embodies funk or R&B.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Oh so many "indie" bands fall on my hate-list. I don??t HATE any artists, I always listen for at least ONE redeeming factor in their music and can usually find it. However, these "indie" bands, man...

The Killers, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys (even though I smoked joints with the first drummer, who is a really nice guy), The the the the the whatevers. They all sound too similar to me. It??s like the same 3 chords in everlasting repitition.

- J

• Fleetwood Mac
    Van Morrison
    The Eagles

• i was avoiding this thread cause there's already too much negativity in the world, but WOW, that Pat Metheny article was

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    i was avoiding this thread cause there's already too much negativity in the world, but WOW, that Pat Metheny article was

It was one of the most articulate disses I have read in a while. Thanks for posting it

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I wonder what some folks are doing on here without owning the most basic of basic.
    I used to have a few of his records now theyre gone.

And as for Prince, I would love to hear what 80s music you feel more fully embodies funk or R&B.
    when i was told he is funk, that statement was not holding him to 80s music. basically the statement was that he is the top of the pile for the whole genre.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    it was all i had with his name on it. i was trying to give him a chance.

Yeah, but just 'cause Stevie was a sideman/producer on somebody else's record doesn't mean it's a Stevie Wonder record in disguise. It may have been "all (you) had" but it ain't all there IS - his records are mighty common.

as for Minnie Ripperton
    check her version of Les Flur, its heat.

I agree - matter of fact, I have that song on a 45 and it's really the only Minnie I ever liked, so I'm set.

I like her Rotary Connection stuff, but that was the Rotary Connection, not Minnie Riperton!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    it was all i had with his name on it. i was trying to give him a chance.

Yeah, but just 'cause Stevie was a sideman/producer on somebody else's record doesn't mean it's a Stevie Wonder record in disguise. It may have been "all (you) had" but it ain't all there IS - his records are mighty common.
    I posted that i listened to the MR songs to show that i was willing to check him out more. right after i said i checked those songs i said i am going to check more stevie stuff. in case you thought i was going to look for more stuff he produced and did not perform on, i should have articulated that i was going to find his own records. being that his records are mighty common i have no fear that i will be able to scoop a few at thrift stores to re-check his music. i think we are basically saying the same thing only im saying that i did not like the stevie produced tracks on MRs album as much as the ones that she produced. and i know i should not hold him to the music he produced for someone else's album. and i am not.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

I feel like I've been attacked on a personal level. These 2 artists have such large bodies of work, you're not feelin any of it?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the idea was to offend as many people as possible.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    the idea was to offend as many people as possible.

I mentioned Sly in a simular thread so I shouldn't talk!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    im curious what artist questioning could elicit a similar response?
    marvin
    curtis
    stevie
    donny hathaway
    al green

any others?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    im curious what artist questioning could elicit a similar response?
    marvin
    curtis
    stevie
    donny hathaway
    al green

any others?

I would cut someone over talking bad bout the Meters.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

any ideas?

personally I took more offense to the dude a while back who was way into the Kickin Mustangs and Dayton Sidewinders raer but was hating on Otis Redding.

But as far as ideas:

and as for me

I 2nd or 3rd or 4th Eminem. Hey, nice rhymes. Now what can we do about that voice?

But registering even higher... perhaps the highest on the Hat-TOM-eter: I absolutely fucking despise Kid Rock. Probably not a really controversial point of view around here.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I would cut someone over talking bad bout the Meters.

...and JB.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

My girlfriend was born ten years after me.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I know the hate mail is gonna roll in and the BAN but,
    stevie
    i support the guy for doing blind drum solos .

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I don't even know how to begin.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, and Sublime. After 40 oz to Freedom blew up, this was the soundtrack to every corny party I stepped foot in for years. It was as though you could hear the thought process: "I have hippies, hip hop fans, and hard rock fans at my party. I know what they'll all dig - Sublime!" You could almost see the mini-Bic light above their heads, next to the metaphorical bowl of schwag they can't wait to spark once "Smoke Two Joints" comes on.

Awful. Simply awful.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Oh, and Sublime. After 40 oz to Freedom blew up, this was the soundtrack to every corny party I stepped foot in for years. It was as though you could hear the thought process: "I have hippies, hip hop fans, and hard rock fans at my party. I know what they'll all dig - Sublime!" You could almost see the mini-Bic light above their heads, next to the metaphorical bowl of schwag they can't wait to spark once "Smoke Two Joints" comes on.

Awful. Simply awful.
    i picked my girlfriend up from the airport yesterday to see she was rockin a sublime shirt
    im like.............new shirt?
    and she said she used to wear it in highschool.
    i let that one go.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Dire Straits. The epitome of AOR MOR and Jeeeeeeeeeeezus they are fucking boring.

on Fleetwood Mac too.

• UB40
    Nickelback
    Robert Palmer
    Good Charlotte
    Limp Bizkit
    Linkin park

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Original Musiaquarium is a hits collection with 4 new songs, 2 of which are as good as anything he has done.

I am a veteran of the war
    I up and joined the army back in 1964
    At sixteen I just had to be a man at any cost
    I volunteered for Vietnam where I got my leg shot off
    I recall a quote from a movie that said "who's more a man
    Than a man with a reason that's worth dyin' for"

They had me standing on the front line
    But now I stand at the back of the line when it comes to gettin' ahead

They gave me a uniform and a tiny salty pill
    To stop the big urge I might have for the wrong kind of thrill
    They put a gun in my hand and said, "shoot until he's dead"
    But it's hard to kill when 'please your friend' echoes through your head

Brought up in church taught no man should take another's life
    But then put in a jungle where life has no price

Back in the world the paper reads today
    Another war is in the brewing
    But what about the lives of yesterday
    And the many happy families that have been ruined

My niece is a hooker and my nephew's a junkie too
    But they say I have no right to tell them how they should do
    They laugh and say "quit bragging" 'bout the war you should never have been in
    But my mind is so brain-washed I'd prob'bly go back and do it again

I walk the neighborhood parading my purple heart
    With a fear of agent orange that no one will stop

[Repeat 2 times...fade out]

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You shouldn't feel bad about not feeling Stevie Wonder. I am apparently the only one who remembers a popular strutter posting a I Am Sick Of Stevie Wonder thread a few years ago. That poster was so cool that everyone else was saying how sick of Stevie they were and I was given the gasface for saying how much I loved Stevie.

Truth is there a whole lot of people here who would rather listen to the Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin or Nirvana than to any soul record.

As for Prince, you are right he is not the begin all and end all for funk. His music is very personal, which is what I like about him. He brings lots of Sly, James Brown, Little Richard and Jimi Hendrix into his mix and ends up sounding original. If you want to hear him being funky the afterparty live boots are where it's at. Also the Black LP. But I would just listen to Purple Rain or Sign Of The Times and enjoy the lyrics.

• i was avoiding this thread cause there's already too much negativity in the world, but WOW, that Pat Metheny article was

It was one of the most articulate disses I have read in a while. Thanks for posting it

i like how he gets in a little side-diss on Larry CorNyell

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

Truth is there a whole lot of people here who would rather listen to the Beach Boys, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin or Nirvana than to any soul record.
    im not sure what your saying, but i do like soul music, if thats what you are questioning. and i dont think that disliking stevie means disliking soul music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Point 'em out, point 'em out!