Will Hip Hop Lps/12s From 98-200?8Ever Be Worth $$

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Sayin'I walked away from bout 10 crates of "newer" hip hop tonight[think like 1997-2007]- for a buck a pop.all dead mint radio promo stockI cherri picked some accapells and lps/osts wound up with a stack of 30shits like:freeway double lp,blade ost,fat joe promos,nas stillmatic accapellas,etc.this was all major label oriented stuff And then as I am sifting thru all of this def jam/bad boy/killah kuts/ I grabbed all of the eminem 12s and anything on clear wax or promo or whatever that looked unique.I'm thinkin which one of these is[gonna be] on the wall at TSL for 60 bucks next year?is there bad boy rarer that i am sleepin on?? will any of the Hip Hop osts [usually on double lp format] from the last 10 years appreciate ?I am collecting em any which way

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Kala,

On one level, it's impossible to say. There's always going to be unpredictable trends in collecting that, for a brief span at least, can result in genres previously deemed worthless suddenly acquiring remarkable value.

The main question though is how rare these things were to begin with. Something like the Streets is Watching soundtrack (which I saw in your photo) wasn't exactly "limited edition" when it first dropped and it's hard to know if supplies with ever become so limited (or alternatively, if demand grows so high) that the record is accrue more value than it enjoys now.

It makes more sense that shit that was relatively in short supply to start with stands a far better chance of blowing up down the line. I don't mean "test pressing" - just small distribution stuff, like the first, say, Fondle 'Em singles/EPs from that era or some super-local shit like Sacramento gangsta rap CDs.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    speaking for myself -subconsciously there are 2 or three things fuck with my conscience on this issue

1.there is always that persistent feeling that indeed one day "they" will stop pressing hip hop wax in any real quantity and it will be in fact.... rare.

2.is blade the new blacula not quite yet aged enough?{i mean this metaphorically}

3.how limited were these vinyl pressings[post 2000]?
    10,000?
    20,000?

my instinct says buy it,spin it,enjoy it, and wait and see

• my instinct says buy it,spin it,enjoy it, and wait and see

well put. buying music for an investment is always a tough call, unless you know its some uber-raer thats in demand and you pay 10 cents.

personally, with Microwave growing in popularity, the presses are going to slow down and will create real low quantities of records. on the flip, i think that Microwave might also slow the demand for the raer 12"s that are commanding dough these days. who knows

• the answer to your question is yes.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the answer to your question is yes.

but probably not the ones in that blurry picture.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

but probably not the blade ost.

• yea the blade soundtrack burns my ass. biggie and slick rick are ok.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

1.there is always that persistent feeling that indeed one day "they" will stop pressing hip hop wax in any real quantity and it will be in fact.... rare.

I'm not sure if that reasoning holds up. They stopped pressing copies of "Frampton Comes Alive" a long time ago. It is still not rare.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

I'm not sure if that reasoning holds up. They stopped pressing copies of "Frampton Comes Alive" a long time ago. It is still not rare.

i am referencing the rise of dildo/microdouche and the demise of readily available wax in the throw away bin like last nights pile
    comparing frampton comes alive to a beanie siegal 12 is apples and oranges

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    That was along the time of rap's crappiest era, but there are people, espcially europeans, who came into rap at that time & have fond memories of that period. Even today, they will throw money at some of that ish. One man's trash & all that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I guarantee most of this shit that will be worth money will be promo-only, white label, DJ service shit. Albums too. I have been buying up some weird stock over the past few years.

There is too much wax on any major label release from the late 90s on for anything to accrue too much value over the next 20 years. They pressed tens of thousands of records. People would have to dump and burn fucking PALLETS of the shit before it starts being hard to find. I turn away collections of murder inc/rocafella/etc all the time. That shit is all over the place.

I save white label, promo shit and box it up. Some of it is already worth money.

I can sell the Jay-Z remix of "Ha" pretty easily. But not the original.

TSL ain't gonna figure this shit out. The records that are worth money in this subgenre are usually not from NY, although I grab certain promos and stuff. Rocafella especially did weird promo runs some of which never saw commercial issue.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    2.is Blade the new Blacula not quite yet aged enough?{i mean this metaphorically}

That Soundtrack is overall smeared doodoo, but there are some interesting collabos on there.
    The whole "electronica" meets Hip Hop thing was in full effect for the Blade II Sdtk.
    Blade fans of the future might want this gatefold as memorabilia.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

i am going to be SOOO rich in 15/20yrs! i have a garage full of this stuff! Roots, jay-z/rocafella fam, etc promo 12s/LPs for daaaaaaayyyyyysssss.....

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i am going to be SOOO rich in 15/20yrs! i have a garage full of this stuff! Roots, jay-z/rocafella fam, etc promo 12s/LPs for daaaaaaayyyyyysssss.....

May you have any copies of the Blade 2 soundtrack? I need them to dj a party. For this weekend.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

May you have any copies of the Blade 2 soundtrack? I need them to dj a party. For this weekend.

do you want the blood red quad vinyl or just the basic pure silver double LP?

• I'm thinkin which one of these is[gonna be] on the wall at TSL for 60 bucks next year?
    is there bad boy rarer that i am sleepin on??

I doubt any of the Bad Boy commercial nonsense, or any other music that followed in that same artificial trend will be up for big bucks at your local vinyl store. I just don't think the stuff was meant to be treasured years later, it sounded like it was made to generate as much sales and radio/club spins for that short period of time. The you dispose of it quickly like fast food..

However, there is the issue of all the great late-90's indie releases you've seen at places like Fat Beats that still sold quality hip hop in the midst of the mainstream party garbage. First group that comes ta mind is the mighty D.I.T.C.[/b]:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/D.I.T.C. < a buncha 12" releases from the whole camp listed here

I'm sure the original red-label 12" for "Day One" is destined to be up on the wall at TSL for money. And how about the DJ Spinna catalog[/b] of the late 90's? He was like another savior to me that gave me relief from the madness of the low state of hip hop in the mainstream at that time.

http://www.discogs.com/release/185299DJ Spinna "A Brighter Day" remixes

finally, I'll say the Talib Kweli/Hi Tek[/b] stuff from late 90's-2000 should be up for money, if not already. Stuff like "The Express", "The Blast" 12"s that also had unreleased songs on 'em. Also the Juggaknots-affiliated group called Adagio[/b], they're indie release "The Obvious Joint" was, and still is hot to me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

There is too much wax on any major label release from the late 90s on for anything to accrue too much value over the next 20 years. They pressed tens of thousands of records. People would have to dump and burn fucking PALLETS of the shit before it starts being hard to find. I turn away collections of murder inc/rocafella/etc all the time. That shit is all over the place.

I am more than willing to be the founding father of the Murder Inc Skeet Shooting Club.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm thinkin which one of these is[gonna be] on the wall at TSL for 60 bucks next year?
    is there bad boy rarer that i am sleepin on??

I doubt any of the Bad Boy commercial nonsense, or any other music that followed in that same artificial trend will be up for big bucks at your local vinyl store. I just don't think the stuff was meant to be treasured years later, it sounded like it was made to generate as much sales and radio/club spins for that short period of time. The you dispose of it quickly like fast food.

Actually, a number of promo-only bad Boy 12"s are already fetching money. At stores like TSL.

finally, I'll say the Talib Kweli/Hi Tek[/b] stuff from late 90's-2000 should be up for money, if not already. Stuff like "The Express", "The Blast" 12"s that also had unreleased songs on 'em.

Bwahahaha... you really can't give most of that Rawkus schitt deadstock gold away.

• Actually, a number of promo-only bad Boy 12"s are already fetching money. At stores like TSL.

Wow, alright I guess if it's a promo-only record then they would try an sell it for money. I just can't recall anything put out by them that would catch the attention or ear of me and other die hard hip hop fans. Talib Kweli & Hi Tek on the other hand is a whole different story..

I can recall young teens around 12-13 years old back then in the late 90's goin' nuts for those Bad Boy releases. They (radio, BET, MTV) could've played those songs for an eternity and still not move me, probably 'cus I know better, for younger cats that's their first taste of hip hop.

Bwahahaha... you really can't give most of that Rawkus schitt deadstock gold away.
    ^^Deadstock gold? Does that mean you don't think it's worth much at all?

I just remembered some other Rawkus vinyl of late 90's/2000 that is destined for TSL wall status, I don't care what no body say:

Pharoahe Monch's Internal Affairs (Instrumental Vinyl Album)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Internal-Affairs-Instrumental-Version-VINYL/dp/B00003G9YB

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I just can't recall anything put out by them that would catch the attention or ear of me and other die hard hip hop fans.

I can recall young teens around 12-13 years old back then in the late 90's goin' nuts for those Bad Boy releases. They (radio, BET, MTV) could've played those songs for an eternity and still not move me, probably 'cus I know better, for younger cats that's their first taste of hip hop.

Dude, zip it. Faux would prolly call me a backpackeur and I want you to shut up. If you can't get with Biggie, you need to pipe down about being a die hard hip hop fan.

Wow, alright I guess if it's a promo-only record then they would try an sell it for money. I just can't recall anything put out by them that would catch the attention or ear of me and other die hard hip hop fans. Talib Kweli & Hi Tek on the other hand is a whole different story..

Older cats danced to all those Bad Boy 12" up in the club.

• Dude, zip it. Faux would prolly call me a backpackeur and I want you to shut up. If you can't get with Biggie, you need to pipe down about being a die hard hip hop fan.
    Haahaa! I should've specified only certain songs I thought were repetitive and lacking in substance instead of saying "Bad Boy". Of course Biggie is one of the greatest rappers of all-time, like Canibus said. I think it was after he died that I heard certain songs here-and-there from that label that got alot of radio play, but may never be looked upon as classics or gain a spot on a used record store wall for mucho dinero by people.

I guess when I typed my previous message I expected people here to automatically determine and assume what was dope (Biggie) from what was wack (Loon, Puffy) when I said Bad Boy.

Older cats danced to all those Bad Boy 12" up in the club
    Sure they did, and there's nothing wrong with them doing so. However, the question is will any of those and today's hip-hop song that're more geared towards the club, party vibe and commercial trends find a spot on the wall for $ next to a classic hip hop album from the golden era?

• like Canibus said.

Dude, zip it. Faux would prolly call me a backpackeur and I want you to shut up. If you can't get with Biggie, you need to pipe down about being a die hard hip hop fan.
    Haahaa! I should've specified only certain songs I thought were repetitive and lacking in substance instead of saying "Bad Boy". Of course Biggie is one of the greatest rappers of all-time, like Canibus said. I think it was after he died that I heard certain songs here-and-there from that label that got alot of radio play, but may never be looked upon as classics or gain a spot on a used record store wall for mucho dinero by people.

I guess when I typed my previous message I expected people here to automatically determine and assume what was dope (Biggie) from what was wack (Loon, Puffy) when I said Bad Boy.

Older cats danced to all those Bad Boy 12" up in the club
    Sure they did, and there's nothing wrong with them doing so. However, the question is will any of those and today's hip-hop song that're more geared towards the club, party vibe and commercial trends find a spot on the wall for $ next to a classic hip hop album from the golden era?
    special delivery!!!
    (I want that) Yeah come on, special delivery!!!
    (I need that) This is the remix, special delivery!!!
    (Can I have that?) Ha-ha ha-ha, special delivery!!!
    (Well give it to me) Come on come on!!! Special delivery!!!
    (I want that) Yeah yeah!!! Special delivery!!!
    (I need that) What what!!! Special delivery!!!
    (Can I have that?) Ladies and gentlemen, Keith Murray, ahh!!
    (Well give it to me)[/b]

Older cats danced to all those Bad Boy 12" up in the club.

This dude has got to be from Norway or Belgium or something.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The thing about Bad Boy is that they dropped a lot of odd a/b combos some of which I think will get some money. "Dreams" is already there but there are others.

I could see certain boots getting money, for instance the Freeway/Puffy/Faith record "Burning Up" never saw commercial release, the only vinyl on that tune is a Killah Kuts boot. Shit it might even have an instrumental. And again there are other tunes like that.

There's a few Rawkus records that sell, but so far the most I can get for anything on Rawkus is $20 for Mos Def LP or Blackstar LP. I have four or five copies of the Monch instrumental record and I think I've sold one for $15. You can make your argument as to its hip-hop validity (whatever that means) but you can't argue with the prices. I don't know the numbers but they pressed a lot of vinyl, very little of which was disposed of so there will be copies floating around for a while.

The thing about Bad Boy is that they dropped a lot of odd a/b combos some of which I think will get some money. "Dreams" is already there but there are others.

I could see certain boots getting money, for instance the Freeway/Puffy/Faith record "Burning Up" never saw commercial release, the only vinyl on that tune is a Killah Kuts boot. Shit it might even have an instrumental. And again there are other tunes like that.

There's a few Rawkus records that sell, but so far the most I can get for anything on Rawkus is $20 for Mos Def LP or Blackstar LP. I have four or five copies of the Monch instrumental record and I think I've sold one for $15. You can make your argument as to its hip-hop validity (whatever that means) but you can't argue with the prices. I don't know the numbers but they pressed a lot of vinyl, very little of which was disposed of so there will be copies floating around for a while.

In New York, at least, the market is absolutely flooded with Rawkus stuff; so many dudes bought it when it came out and, emerging from their late-nineties true school fog, realized that it just wasn't good enough to justify the space it took up.

Who knows, though--perhaps there will come a time when arhythmic rhymes delivered in the voice of 14 year old girl and addressing the ethics of hip-hop will again be sought after, and people will actually pay money for Kweli 12"s.

• Kweli's making inroads with the Big Ten market.

How often does one see those Lauryn Hill singles/12" from the Miseducation LP?

The last two are cd singles, im sure. But they put out a gang of stuff from that album.

How often does one see those Lauryn Hill singles/12" from the Miseducation LP?

The last two are cd singles, im sure. But they put out a gang of stuff from that album.

Oh, Lauryn... so sad.