Will Hip Hop Lps/12s From 98-200?8Ever Be Worth $$

2»

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The thing about Bad Boy is that they dropped a lot of odd a/b combos some of which I think will get some money. "Dreams" is already there but there are others.

I could see certain boots getting money, for instance the Freeway/Puffy/Faith record "Burning Up" never saw commercial release, the only vinyl on that tune is a Killah Kuts boot. Shit it might even have an instrumental. And again there are other tunes like that.

There's a few Rawkus records that sell, but so far the most I can get for anything on Rawkus is $20 for Mos Def LP or Blackstar LP. I have four or five copies of the Monch instrumental record and I think I've sold one for $15. You can make your argument as to its hip-hop validity (whatever that means) but you can't argue with the prices. I don't know the numbers but they pressed a lot of vinyl, very little of which was disposed of so there will be copies floating around for a while.

In New York, at least, the market is absolutely flooded with Rawkus stuff; so many dudes bought it when it came out and, emerging from their late-nineties true school fog, realized that it just wasn't good enough to justify the space it took up.

Who knows, though--perhaps there will come a time when arhythmic rhymes delivered in the voice of 14 year old girl and addressing the ethics of hip-hop will again be sought after, and people will actually pay money for Kweli 12"s.
    I was doing radio during the Rawkus era, and I would get half a dozen copies of every record they put out. they really flooded the market with that stuff. i think i kept that first mos def 12", but everything else is long gone.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I should pick up the singles. I get the LP often but it's a bit hard to turn up clean. Lots of DJ collections contain well-worn copies.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

My vinyl copy has a song w/ Mary J Blige that got removed from latter pressings. And I wonder if it was omitted from the CD. Anybody have stories on this? And would that make the "OG" pressing more $$$$?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

My vinyl copy has a song w/ Mary J Blige that got removed from latter pressings. And I wonder if it was omitted from the CD. Anybody have stories on this? And would that make the "OG" pressing more $$$$?

Wasn't that the single worst track on the album ("Braveheart Party")? I'm thinking no...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Wasn't that the single worst track on the album ("Braveheart Party")? I'm thinking no...

Braveheart Party - your right. And it is wack, but my homie told me some little story on why it was removed.
    Probably simple copyrights/sample shit. Whatever. Just sayin.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    It depends I guess if you are talkign 100's of dolalrs I highly doubt it. but right now any of the heyday rawkus stuff is VERY easy for us to sell. It rarely makes it a week on the site before being bought up. Alot of the late 90s more independent hip-hop is like that for us. The More commercial stuff like Paycheck said is strictly on a track by track basis and/or whether or not its a promo. Though promo is not as big of a factor right now. ic an't tell you how many different Busta Rhymes Test pressings I am sitting on right now that I can't give away. As long as you have the abilitiy too use common sense and box that stuff up for a few years.

Also never underestimate the overseas crowd too. Rjight now alot of them are buying up what i consider trash (2000-2005 major label singles that never hit).

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I could see certain boots getting money, for instance the Freeway/Puffy/Faith record "Burning Up" never saw commercial release, the only vinyl on that tune is a Killah Kuts boot. Shit it might even have an instrumental. And again there are other tunes like that.

Yeah that actually came out as a Bad Boy promo and is already fetching close to $50. There definitely was some strange stuff put out as promo-only... I have Jay-Z 'Excuse Me Miss... Again (La La La) on Bad Boy promo, with the release sheet. Jay-Z on Bad Boy? Now that's gotta be a future raer there.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Yeah that actually came out as a Bad Boy promo

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    this is the kind of info i am interested in
    agreed on all the rawkus around town but in london where the dollar to the sterling is......
    and the matrix serial collecting limey mind is..........completionist in design
    imma think global and out the box

33rd said-
    "It depends I guess if you are talkign 100's of dolalrs I highly doubt it. but right now any of the heyday rawkus stuff is VERY easy for us to sell. It rarely makes it a week on the site before being bought up. Alot of the late 90s more independent hip-hop is like that for us. The More commercial stuff like Paycheck said is strictly on a track by track basis and/or whether or not its a promo. Though promo is not as big of a factor right now. ic an't tell you how many different Busta Rhymes Test pressings I am sitting on right now that I can't give away. As long as you have the abilitiy too use common sense and box that stuff up for a few years.

Also never underestimate the overseas crowd too. Rjight now alot of them are buying up what i consider trash (2000-2005 major label singles that never hit)".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Braveheart Party - your right. And it is wack, but my homie told me some little story on why it was removed.
    Probably simple copyrights/sample shit. Whatever. Just sayin.

From what I recall MJB was embarrassed about appearing on what quickly became known as the worst song on a mediocre album and demanded it be pulled (not joking)