the new El-P album is fire

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    cataglory.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    It took a few listens for me to get into it, but now i really like it. I heard new things with each listen. I got it as a gift, but if you buy the digital version on the defjux site, you get the instrumental for free.

I liked the track he did on the HBMS album with the Galt MacDermott sample, "The Truth"

His flow is quirky and takes a little getting used to. I notice myself perking up my ears whenever he has a couple bars that he spits totally on-beat. I like that he got a unique style with his vocal and for sure with production, but I would be curious what an entire track rapped on-beat would sound like.

on an unrelated note, one-handed typing while bottle-feeding a squirming 8-month-old is an adventure in itself.

• jjohnsonjjohnson 23 Posts
    on an unrelated note, one-handed typing while bottle-feeding a squirming 8-month-old is an adventure in itself.

I feel you're pain bruddah. I've got a 16-month old and the only time I hit up these boards is EARLY morning or when dude crashes out for the night.

Congrats though!

• cataglory.

• I liked the track he did on the HBMS album with the Galt MacDermott sample, "The Truth"

Just for the record, that track had nothing to do with El-P. The only song he had an input on the HBMS LP was the last song with Alec Empire.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    i heard only one instrumental so far "tasmanian pain coaster". ill shit, no doubt.
    i??m curious about the rest of it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    spare me the ill bloody drama stabbs you fuckin whining punk ass "whore"
    ummm is dude over his parents divorce yet?
    i mean we all got problems but....i don't care how "dope"the beats are
    i detect huge amounts of compressed and canned gorgonzola ,not unlike cheeze whizz/goat smegma from a can

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Are we talking about "I'll Sleep When You're Dead"?
    If so, shit is worth a listen, I've find it on a blog.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i liked it better the first time it came out and was called Fantastic Damage

live show w/Dibbs sounds like a good look tho

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    skateboard & laserbeam rap.

but he have made a lot good beats for other artists n stuff

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    This album is so dense I've listened to it four or five times and still feel like he's insulting my way of life somehow. What wrong with bling, rims and loose women?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i bought the album yesterday and i love it. i'll ride for el-p. i like that neuromancer bomb squad sound

"up all night" and "poisenville kids" are my favorite tracks. i also like the track with the canned laughter a bunch

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    I like that neuromancer bomb squad sound

The term neuromancer before Bomb Squad[/b] is very important, I think.
    What does it mean?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I don't know about El-P's talk about making club bangers better than the Neptunes
    it wouldn't take much these days

That was referencing some article where El-P said all he needed to do was bang out some keyboard beats, and he'd top the charts. It was a little bit presumptuous considering his real word moves rarely involve Billboard.

So he takes a picture with Puffy and now he thinks he could top the charts with mainstream club banger production? Ha, lame.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haven't heard this yet but i'm looking forward to deciding whether i'd rather he was a part of the g-unit production machine

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Picked up the vinyl of this on Friday on the strength of some of the reviews here. Alas, no bonus 7-inch -- I bought it at the new Reckless Records in Chicago's Loop, where they keep no very few physical records on the floor.

I agree with the dude here who said he was "assaulting my way of life"... typical El-P ill angst stabs. Interesting stuff but I am really in too nice of a place in my life to find a good time of the day to listen to records like this. It's the type of album that is best listened to all the way through, but at the same time I can't stand too much El-P in one sitting. I'm going to give it the old shoulder shrug. I think I'll give it another shot when I get home from work.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    typical El-P ill angst stabs.
    haha

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I like it-- despite flirting with the rock stuff, it's still got that "hip hop" backbone. I'm not really feeling the guest vocalists, "Flyentology" is the weakest song to me.

• I like this too, eventhough it is periphral, and dispite the guest rock vocalists.

Favorites:
    First track
    Smithereens
    Run the Numbers
    No Kings

Skip:
    The Overly Dramatic Truth

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

Skip:
    The Overly Dramatic Truth

Man I love that track!
    Played it 3 times is a row cycling home from work today.

I must have played this album like 40-50 times now and I'm still loving it!
    Going to London on wednesday to check out the live show.

The weak point of the album to me is the Trent Reznor vocal, but I can live with it and it has grown on me somewhat.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i did not care for this album at all.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i did not care for this album at all.

Yeah i saw all this hype but was really unimpressed when i heard it at the station yesterday. i generally cant stand anything Def Jux related though, so I'm not all that surprised.