i love my neighborhood b/w fives

cascas 1,484 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
just stopped off to see the homie dstill and pick up a few cds and the new thes record from his shop. on my way to von's a ran into (yet again) the saxophone man in car. see...this dude just drives around my neighborhood (mostly homesteads in the sav-on parking lot) in his lexus suv, parks that bitch and blasts[/b] kenny g. loud. that's not the strange part. this fool plays along with his sax while he's sitting behind the wheel parked. he was over by the ultimate fighting gym just keeping it gully. the same intersection where I saw a freshly painted caddy on daytons have it's front wheel fall off and roll thru the intersection leaving it on some real deal 3 wheel motion shit at the stop sign. last week, a man wearing nothing but boxing draws comes running out of my next door snobby neighbor couple house and speeds off in his car (anna notices that he has the same work sticker that the husband next door has). 3 minutes later the other spouse...still not known if it was the husband or wife came home! i've been thinking all along that the husband next door might be a little flambe the hard way. still speculation at this point.anywhooo. fives for me...the new thes 10"[/b]- dope!diagnosed with having pneumonia[/b] but besides the chest congestion and cough, i feel like a champ! anna, won't let me drink though. i'm trying to tell her that it'll help break that shit up, but she's not hearing it. someone help me out, please.moving to san francisco[/b] in a couple weeks30 lbs lighter[/b] since new yearsall the holmeses are doing big things[/b]- king moisting going to europe. day's guest appearance on ellen's show next week. thes' rare hip hop candy bar line. rootlesscos' new job. anna maybe teaching in india for a month. serg's new black and white cowboy boots. i'm happy for all them fools! is it even the move to do top 5s anymore? fiduck it. i care not. add on or not.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    anna: it'll break that shit up!

1. sunny in SF for a third wknd in a row
    2. found a dope parking spot for the week
    3. new queen sized bed in the crib
    4. i still got my health
    5. friday

• Heads Up[/b]

1. About to break in my new pasta maker, did someone say fresh?
    2. Saw Mr Scruff last night for free, dude is smooth like butter in the mix
    3. got an interview done & dusted during the week, gave myself 7.5, let the waiting begin
    4. new persol sunnies, unfortunately its the end of summer here but I've been hankering some new shades long time
    5. Dj Morse Code - Shit I'm Feelin mix, I heart (esp that b.cause old school remix)

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Dude. You have pneumonia. You should not drink. Mostly because you will want to smoke. You CANNOT smoke. That's why you have pneumonia, fool.

I'm not going to India, I didn't get a callback- probably because I've been there they won't let me go, that's how these programs are.

Anyhooooo......

1. No one wilded out on me this week. In a high school, that is rare.

The rest is shitty: 4 hour class tomorrow morning, Cas is moving, I have a weird stomach pain...

Studies have shone that teachers get depressed in March, it's a long month, testing starts, kids get antsy, people quit and no break in sight. It's true. Blah.....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dude. You have pneumonia. You should not drink. Mostly because you will want to smoke. You CANNOT smoke. That's why you have pneumonia, fool.

Reminds me of the time I told my ex not to smoke weed in Berkeley when she had Bronchitis.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some recent high fives:

1. Got another paper accepted for publication in a top-tier journal (Journal of Applied Psychology; JAP).

2. Another paper was been conditionally accepted (pending some minor changes) in a top-tier journal (Personnel Psychology; PPsych). With these two acceptances, 6 of my 11 publications are top-tiers (4 PPsychs and 2 JAPs). This bodes well for potential job search next year.

3. I'm on Spring Break, so I've had some time to chill.

4. E (my MC) and I have made some progress on our CD.

5. On March 1st, I received a unanimously affirmative university-level tenure vote (7 for, 0 against). The vote I reported on last Fall was for the School of Business (school-level). University-level is the final big hurdle, now the Provost and Chancellor sign off and it's official (by June 2007).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

P.S. They're wilin' in Milwaukee (shootin', carjackin', robbin', etc.), we gotta get the fuck outta here!!! I can't even imagine what this summer will be like.

I'm not going to India, I didn't get a callback- probably because I've been there they won't let me go, that's how these programs are.

Anyhooooo......

The rest is shitty: 4 hour class tomorrow morning, Cas is moving, I have a weird stomach pain...

Studies have shone that teachers get depressed in March, it's a long month, testing starts, kids get antsy, people quit and no break in sight. It's true. Blah.....

P.S. They're wilin' in Milwaukee (shootin', carjackin', robbin', etc.), we gotta get the fuck outta here!!! I can't even imagine what this summer will be like.

man I bet it be a hotter summer.

congrats on the tenure fool!

• cascas 1,484 Posts

stuidez have also "shone" that it doesn't take much to be an englash tacher.

HAHA!!! ZING!!

i'm undiagnosing myself and downgrading my status to minor bronchitis with a side of maker's mark. deal with that.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

man I bet it be a hotter summer.

congrats on the tenure fool!

Thanks, mane!!! I got watch out around here, jeeps can be coffins!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    1. Girlfriend due to return back from the bay on sunday
    2. my MPC is up and running again.
    3. that TV Links web site is still killin it. im definetly getting the kung fu education i always wanted. plus the silver surfer cartoon show is off the hook.
    4. I beat Bionic Comando and in the end you get to see hitler's head explode.
    5. Fresh Oatmeal raisin cookies
    6. Free swiming day at the community center pool tomorrow and they have a water slide.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

In PG County, my old neighborhhod (just across the DC line) there has been 9 homicides in 7 days. CRAZY. And it wasn't even warm when the crime wave started. Go figure.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Anyhooooo......

and this is what your getting paid six figures to do at your big boy firm?

I'm about to call the IT dept of Dewey Cheatum and Howe.

In PG County, my old neighborhhod (just across the DC line) there has been 9 homicides in 7 days. CRAZY. And it wasn't even warm when the crime wave started. Go figure.

Yeah, I've heard PG County (Maryland for those not in the know) has gotten wild. In 1978, I lived in Laurel for about 6 months (in fucked up South Hill Apartments that were later deemed "Unfit For Human Habitation" by the Department of Health; ironically the military sent us there). I was up in MD/DC about three years ago, and it's changed a lot. Silver Spring (lived there 3 years) was lookin' kinda fucked up in spots. It used to be nice back in the late 70's/early 80's. I can tell I'm gettin' old, rural out-of-the-way spots are lookin' a lot more attractive to me. Fuck urban blight and crime, maybe one day city officials and politicians will realize it takes more than policing to prevent crime (like, duh, economic empowerment realized quality public education, college/vocational training, and jobs).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah, I've heard PG County (Maryland for those not in the know) has gotten wild. In 1978, I lived in Laurel for about 6 months (in fucked up South Hill Apartments that were later deemed "Unfit For Human Habitation" by the Department of Health; ironically the military sent us there). I was up in MD/DC about three years ago, and it's changed a lot. Silver Spring (lived there 3 years) was lookin' kinda fucked up in spots. It used to be nice back in the late 70's/early 80's. I can tell I'm gettin' old, rural out-of-the-way spots are lookin' a lot more attractive to me. Fuck urban blight and crime, maybe one day city officials and politicians will realize it takes more than policing to prevent crime (like, duh, economic empowerment realized quality public education, college/vocational training, and jobs).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Downtown Silver Spring is now a total yuppie hangout complete with a walking mall and Whole Foods/Borders/AFI Theatre Center/every-concievable-chain-restaurant at the core of its revival. Prices for homes there are waayy beyond what most average working folks can afford. Luckily Roadhouse Oldies is still in operation just a bit down Georgia Ave and there is still a thriving African business district near there, lots of good eats in that neighborhood, still some funky stores,etc.

Where I moved in the District is pretty decent, mainly because we are on a major road (South Dakota Ave NE) that is busy and the residents are pretty quiet, it's the sirens going through that get my attention now. When we lived in PG it was a very quiet one way, but the dealers took advantage of how low key it was and for a while were bold as fuck. So we stepped up Neighborhood Watch and got them pretty frustrated for awhile. They seem to have left for greener alleys when I ride through there now. Not a peep.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Walking to see the Abyssinians show tonight.

Misissippi records killing shit (neighborhood record store related).

real world reissue moves about to jump off (more later)

Oregon Ducks in the elite 8.

Selling lots of records soon

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    UP HIGH.

1. Oregon Ducks 76, UNLV Runnin Rebs 72.
    The Ducks entered the tournament as a number 3 seed, ranked tenth in the country, and having won six straight games. Yet I have seen sports writers predict that they would lose to Miami, to Winthrop, and to UNLV. They haven't lost yet. They are a solid, but undersized, team. They will have their work cut out for them against Florida on Sunday, but if Tajuan Porter is 7-10 from 3 point land again, and Aaron Brooks shows up to play (where was he against UNLV??) the Ducks can win.

2. Dogwoods are in bloom on my street.
    I love spring, especially this part of Spring, when the weather breaks and the trees start budding. The dogwoods are the first to blossom, and they are awesome.

3. My daughter saying "Hi Daddy."
    It's her favorite thing to say.

4. Going to visit the new twin nephew/niece tomorrow.
    Leo and Sally. Age 1 month. Babies are so refreshing.

5. Posting on soulstrut again.
    Even though it's been a little beefy lately for me, I love you girls.

DOWN LOW

1. Do I have allergies? If not, then why won't my nose stop running?

2. Doing other people's work.
    Competence will only be punished.

3. 24 has really sucked this year.

4. Bush is still President.

5. We are still killing and dying in Iraq.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    marriage:

1. getting married is getting close
    2. my son is doing real good after a period of doing not so good (a week of fever and flu)
    3. after the wedding,south africa!
    4. new house
    5. my new stereo set up, my records sound so friggin nice now!!

divorce:

1. need to work out, gaining weight right now
    2. the cat is losing his hair and doesnt seem to happy
    3. no recordshops near my new house
    4. my son just crapped in his diaper so no time for number five.
    peace out

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    1) Promising record prospects tomorrow morning.

2) Selling 300+ turds via various outlets

3) Getting vintage Ohm speakers reconed, Technics recabled, repairing an ultrasonic cleaner.

4) Friends are chillin' in the Bay for spring break, home from school.

5) Just saw "The Sting" w/Robert Redford for the 1st time. Dope movie.

• 1. saw Allan Holdsworth with Jimmy Johnson and Chad Wackerman last night. i know this is showing my nerd-jazz side but THOSE GUYS PLAY LIKE THEY ARE FROM ANOTHER PLANET. FUCKING UNREAL. my jaw is still on the floor in the theater. i can't even express in words how fucking sick those guys were. truly amazing. i've been seeing some pretty awesome shows lately

2. almost done with grad school. about one more month (of craziness). gonna be soooo stoked

3. job prospects... just hooked up an interview in Philly for early May

4. got a lotta work done yesterday (#2-related) so even though i'm working the job all day today, i can take the night off tonight, just chill, get my swerv on a lil

5. records records records- they're the shit. haven't been out diggin much lately but i appreciate getting to spend some quality time with my collection as is

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    imma play today. see if i can come up with 5 good things:

1. just last weekend my grandfather was literally on his deathbed. my parents went out to cali to be with him and he got better (or as good as you can be as an 80 yr old w/ parkinsons)

2. i just got a radio show in new hampshire (hey, its something)

3. it's the weekend, i dont have to go to my shitass fuckface job for two days

4. tomorrow's sunday and the flea market is open (the only place i can find decent recent records around here)

5. IT'S GETTING NICE IN NEW ENGLAND. SPRINGTIME IN NE =