UFC Purchases Pride? (MMAR)

BashirBashir 25 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Thursday, March 22, 2007by Sherdog.com StaffPRIDE CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara informed staff inside the Japanese promoter's Los Angeles office Wednesday that he was stepping down as part of an agreement to sell the company to Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, who own the UFC. According to a report by Dave Meltzer at wrestlingobserver.com, Sakakibara suggested only minor points separate the deal, which Sherdog.com first rumored on Monday, from reaching its conclusion. No contract has been signed, the report said. While Sakakibara appears to be leaving a company he's been a part of since its inception in 1997, told his staff that the company would remain intact and autonomous from the UFC, but that hurdles no longer remain between UFC versus PRIDE cards, Meltzer reported...rumors are that UFC bought them out for $65 million.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    WOAH, this is major news if it's true and goes through.

Sad to see Sakakibara go though. He was a class act, and passionate about MMA.

• But it wasn't Zuffa that bought Pride--it was the Fertitta brothers. True, they are behind Zuffa (and Dana White is Zuffa's president), but i think the fact that they (and NOT Zuffa) bought Pride may mean that they intend to keep the two orgs somewhat separate.

Interesting (but not at all surprising) that Sakakibara has been alleged to have ties to the Yakuza while the Fertitta brothers have been alleged to have ties to the Mafia.

Can we please see Wandy-Chuck now?

• Can we please see Wandy-Chuck now?

for cereal

make it happen someone !

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Sad to see Sakakibara go though. He was a class act, and passionate about MMA.

he was in bed sith some pretty unscrupulous characters. fight fixing for sure in the early days.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    But it wasn't Zuffa that bought Pride--it was the Fertitta brothers. True, they are behind Zuffa (and Dana White is Zuffa's president), but i think the fact that they (and NOT Zuffa) bought Pride may mean that they intend to keep the two orgs somewhat separate.

Interesting (but not at all surprising) that Sakakibara has been alleged to have ties to the Yakuza while the Fertitta brothers have been alleged to have ties to the Mafia.

I don't know how seperate they are going to keep them though being that UFC fighters tend to get destroyed at Pride. I think this is going to be one of the best moves the Fertitta Brothers have made though being that the whole sport is really getting ready to explode and now they can move the fighters back and forth between leagues easier.

BTW. BET just had open casting calls for a Reality fighting show. Snoop and Ludacris are the coaches,

BTW. BET just had open casting calls for a Reality fighting show. Snoop and Ludacris are the coaches,

man are you serious? this is AWESOME. I think they shoulda gone with Cam and 50 though.

UFC fighters tend to get destroyed at Pride.

uhhh I don't know what you're basing this on. chuck's loss to rampage? that was a long, long time ago. if they could reconcile the weight classes I think you'd be surprised at the outcome of some Pride-UFC macthups.

• UFC fighters tend to get destroyed at Pride.

uhhh I don't know what you're basing this on. chuck's loss to rampage? that was a long, long time ago. if they could reconcile the weight classes I think you'd be surprised at the outcome of some Pride-UFC macthups.

Like the Tito-Wanderlei match several years ago where Tito served Wandy in seconds:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lLaXR6rh_S8

Or the fact that a douchebag like Phil Baroni--who was pretty much chased from the UFC after a number of losses--has done fairly well in Pride.

But it wasn't Zuffa that bought Pride--it was the Fertitta brothers. True, they are behind Zuffa (and Dana White is Zuffa's president), but i think the fact that they (and NOT Zuffa) bought Pride may mean that they intend to keep the two orgs somewhat separate.

Word, Sakakibara has the look of a typical Yakuza boss. lol Where big money moves, there will probably be ties to events like this.

Aside from Mauricio Shogun Rua and Fedor Emelianenko who are 2 of the best fighters in the world, I don't think there's much of a difference between the level of fighters in UFC and Pride.

I think if they were able to make the rules universal (elbows and kicks/knees on the ground allowed), then we would know who is the best.

Wanderlei is on the decline, I think Chuck will catch him with a counterpunch. I'd like to see maybe Shogun/Lidell matchup.

UFC fighters tend to get destroyed at Pride.

Like the Tito-Wanderlei match several years ago where Tito served Wandy in seconds:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=lLaXR6rh_S8

Or the fact that a douchebag like Phil Baroni--who was pretty much chased from the UFC after a number of losses--has done fairly well in Pride.

right and the Vitor Wand knockout is like my favorite clip evar.

I have love for certain fighters in both franchises, and it's lame to like "ride" for one franchise over the other; they are both great in their own ways.

I still see a lot of potential in Hanssen, plus Henderson and, to a lesser degree, Gomi, are still dope. and fedor and shogun and I still think big Nogeuira got some fight left.

It's official my dudes. Lorenzo Fertitta has acquired the brand Pride from DSE. A new company under the name Pride FC Worldwide, LLC will be formed. I was reading up on some interviews with Sakakibara, and he's basically talking about the following points.

1) That Pride and MMA as a whole have really matured into a major sport. He's happy to see that and can rest assured knowing that it will continue to grow.

2) Part of the reason for his depature is because he's taking responsibility for Pride's negative publicity in Japan and resulting termination of national television broadcasting.

3) Fertitta with their tremendous capital will easily be able to host Pride events without borrowing.

4) Most employees working at DSE headquarters in Japan will stay at the same office under the new name, Pride FC Worldwide, LLC, and will continue to plan and operate Pride events.

Dana White at the same press conference:

"I disagree with Mr.Sakakibara, saying there are other MMA organizations coming up. Those are all a joke! There's only two MMA organizations and that's UFC and Pride."

"I don't care about Lorenzo buying Pride. I just wanna say that we're here to kick Pride's ass."

These guys are ready.

UFC 69 and Pride 24 coming up in a week!

Also, what do yall think about K-1/Heros plan to host "Dynamite USA" and fill up 90,000 seats at the Los Angeles Collesium?!

• These guys are ready.

Oh yeah? So are these guys!

For the 3 of you on this board that care about MMA, I just met Randy, James Irvin and Scott Smith, all of whom were mad cool. According to Irvin and Smith, CroCop is my height (5'10")--how can that be? He's listed as 6'2", but they swear he's shorter. Irvin is about 6'2", so I believe him.

I don't really have an opinion on the buy-out. Just thought since the MMA peanut gallery yuichi, Ross and firme were I here I should say hi.

good to see a croat brother get some shine...

San Pedro represent?

PS Ross: Patrick and I were talking last night we need to hit the weights the three of us. you can show us your, er, technique?

PSS who is going to gladiator challenge tomorrow at Kezar?

major pasue.

dude on the far left with the shaved head =

looks like a tranny alien.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Yeah man that dude is so tall I don't know how he makes weight. Can't wait to see BJ and Jens at the finale.

How about ultimate fight night 9? Joe Stevenson and Kenny Florian were both really impressive. Speaking of TUF guys, I'm really pumped for Koscheck and Sanchez this saturday. Diego has been a favourite of mine for a long time and this will be a tough test.

For some reason I can't take the Ultimate Fighter very seriously. It has a Real World frat party feel.

Who's watching UFC and Pride this weekend???!!

word? nick diaz is def scrappy and a shit-talker, but he is one hell of a fighter. I wanna see a rematch between him and a hopefully better conditioned Gomi.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

i see that fool like twice a month at bars i go to, sometimes he comes into the local coffee shop i work at.

one time at a bar i hit on a couple of the heinas he brought with him. that was kind of a mistake

i see that fool like twice a month at bars i go to, sometimes he comes into the local coffee shop i work at.

one time at a bar i hit on a couple of the heinas he brought with him. that was kind of a mistake

Chuck Lidell is lookin' very reasonable in that pic right there.

Do fighters take vicadin after the fight? Dude is ready to take a nap or something.

long nights of extacy & coke use will do that to you after awhile, toss in some serious head blows

Scary mang.

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    I'm really pumped for Koscheck and Sanchez this saturday. Diego has been a favourite of mine for a long time and this will be a tough test.

They got into it at the weigh ins . I'm worried that Koscheck's wrestling will make this fight boring.

Looks like UFC 70 will be free on Spike in two weeks, ok card for a free show.

Main Card Bouts:
    -Mirko Cro Cop (#2 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
    -Andrei Arlovski (#7 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Fabricio Werdum (#8 Heavyweight in the World)*
    -Ryoto Machida vs. David Heath
    -Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic
    -Assuerio Silva vs. Cheick Kongo

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Dennis Siver vs. Jess Liaudin
    -Alessio Sakara vs. Victor Valimaki
    -Terry Etim vs. Matt Grice
    -Junior Assuncao vs. David Lee
    -Paul Taylor vs. Ediberto Crocota

• You guys hear that Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana after the Gomi fight? Pride FC is still trying to figure out how they're gonna fine/punish him.

And then I read that DIEGO SANCHEZ tested positive for weed in his fight against Joe "Diesel" Riggs. (This is where firmerola weighs in on mota ya la raza ).

But yeah, UFC tomorrow, Pride Sunday. I'm into that.

• anyone know any sites I can watch tonights show for free???

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

you gotta love diaz cuz i still swear he looks like herm...

Plaese to post pics.

post that one of you from disney land first

ps sanchez just came in w/ live mariachi's

Do you picture me shirtless in tight shorts, too?

[i]Page me.

Huerta/Garcia- Best fight of the night

Sanchez/Koscheck- Weakest MMA fight ever

St. Pierre/Serra- I was hoping this guy GSP would emerge as the next unfuckwitable MMA star.