plaese to explain (Bush being asshurt related)

2»

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    (the one from Arkansas I believe said two Congress members called him up about going after Democratic politicians in his state, the one from San Diego didn't go after illegal immigrants or something as much as some Repbulicans wanted)

There's speculation that the Arkansas USA was booted because Rove wanted somebody in there who would be ready, willing, and able to dig up dirt and pursue anything and everything regarding Hillary Clinton in the runup to the 2008 election. Given Rove's track record of using, "Look over there--a scandal!" as an electoral ploy, particularly pushing baseless investigations against opponents right before ballots are cast, I don't dismiss that speculation as completely baseless.

No, but very hard to prove.

Agreed.

when did you guys start needing proof?

***you are ignoring this user***

what?

huh?

Get busy

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    (the one from Arkansas I believe said two Congress members called him up about going after Democratic politicians in his state, the one from San Diego didn't go after illegal immigrants or something as much as some Repbulicans wanted)

There's speculation that the Arkansas USA was booted because Rove wanted somebody in there who would be ready, willing, and able to dig up dirt and pursue anything and everything regarding Hillary Clinton in the runup to the 2008 election. Given Rove's track record of using, "Look over there--a scandal!" as an electoral ploy, particularly pushing baseless investigations against opponents right before ballots are cast, I don't dismiss that speculation as completely baseless.

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

Wait a minute!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

*** you are DEFINATELY ignoring this user ***

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

*** you are OBVIOUSLY stalking this user ***

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Agreed.

what?

huh?

Get busy

Hold it!

"Oh, fine, have it your way. I'm going outside for a minute...to...stalk...Lenny and Carl."

i always wondered what it would feel like to wear something ironed.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Bush's proposal is a joke. Let us tell you what happened off the record, in private, with no possible repercussions.

Umm, no.

I love that he's threatening to take the proposal for cooperation off the table if Congress subpoenas people. "Oh, you mean if we use subpoenas, your completely unacceptable offer is revoked?" Boo fucking hoo.

That said, the President looks likely to file a motion to quash any subpoenas that the Congress issues to his people, leaving the matter in a court's hands. The Rove subpoena will likely succeed, but the Harriet Meiers subpoena will likely fail. Both have executive privilege issues, but to a large extent the executive privilege as to this subject matter has been waived by the disclosure of all the emails from the DOJ. However, Meiers has something Rove does not - attorney-client privilege. To the extent that the White House Counsel is still considered an attorney and the President is still considered the client, I doubt that a court would order the Counsel to testify under oath regarding the subject matter of her advice on this or any other subject. And does anyone really care what Harriet Meiers said or did anyhow?

They should subpoena Rove, and only Rove. And then later rehire one of the fired US Attorneys as a special prosecutor to indict him for perjury and obstruction of justice, because there's no way in hell he'll tell the truth.

But this is not Bush's biggest scandal, it's only the latest one, and so far the only one to occur when the opposition has subpoena power. In my view, his most atrocious acts as President were to authorize torture of detainees worldwide. While it has been widely believed that the U.S. has been torturing people secretly for decades, this President took the formal step of admitting that a) we torture people; and b) he thinks its ok to torture people. If there had been a hostile congress, I think that would have been investigated and he could possibly have been impeached. These were flagrant violations of both domestic and international law. The US Attorney thing is just typical domestic political bungling.

JRoot