Netflix Beef

GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Man. I'm about to drop these fools. Too many good video stores in Austin to put up w/ shitty service. I used to ride hard for Netflix, but lately they're taking 4, 5 and 6 days to show a movie received. Fuck that. It used to be they'd get it the next day. Did they close down a depot in Central Texas?Anyone else got a Netflix gripe?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    but lately they're taking 4, 5 and 6 days to show a movie received. Fuck that. It used to be they'd get it the next day. Did they close down a depot in Central Texas?

That's their standard MO. If you're returning your movies too often and too quickly, they slow down your turnaround time. There's been a class action lawsuit about it: http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

• but lately they're taking 4, 5 and 6 days to show a movie received. Fuck that. It used to be they'd get it the next day. Did they close down a depot in Central Texas?

That's their standard MO. If you're returning your movies too often and too quickly, they slow down your turnaround time. There's been a class action lawsuit about it: http://www.netflix.com/Settlement

Yeah I heard about the "throttling". That's not me though. I'm their ideal customer. I hold shit for a month at a time.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Is the return address on the sleeves the nearest Netflix depot to you?
    They'll send you return envelopes with the addy a few states away to ensure slow turnarounds.
    I didn't catch on for a while.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hopefully this doesn't change my luck, but honestly i've never had a problem in my 1 1/2 as a Netflix dude. Sometimes i watch stuff quick and get it out, sometimes i have stuff for a month. I've never really seen much change in them receiving or getting stuff out.

Worst thing that ever happened was a DVD that arrived snapped in half and that's nothing they can control.

A bunch of my friends are on it too, they've seen delays in the turnaround a few times but nothing major. I don't know where their return/shipping center is around me, but it seems on point.

• Is the return address on the sleeves the nearest Netflix depot to you?
    They'll send you return envelopes with the addy a few states away to ensure slow turnarounds.
    I didn't catch on for a while.

Damn. That's messed up. So what do you do when you see a return addy that's far...do you cross it out and right the address of your regular mail center?

These fools....whenever I report something missing it *immediately* shows up as "Received".

I should cancel my membership on general principle but I have late fee issues. There's a reason I'm on Netflix.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    What is the purpose of using netflix? If you live in a city, there are a bunch of offbeat video stores that can keep you happy. In MTL, there are 5-6 stores that stock cult films. I'm willing to bet that I could stump netflix for half the films that I rented this week. There are also torrents galore. Seems like a really complicated way to rent a movie.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    If you're going to go out, go out in a blaze of furry. Order up three favorite movies, then have them all go "missing." Save your watch list for someone else because I quit!

Netflix is too skittish for me to have any legitimate gripe. Sometimes it's super slow, other times the turnaround is a day.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I've only started having problems recently. My Borat never showed up, some returns took an extra day or two even though I checked the return address. You can fit two DVDs into one return sleeve so I've been doing that and keeping the extra sleeve in case they ever try to switch the address on me.

I love my Netflix but there's always Greencine.com if Netflix starts pissing me off. Still, whatever you do don't go with blockbuster.com. Fucking horrible website and service although the instore return is nice if you live around the corner from a Blockbuster like myself.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What is the purpose of using netflix? If you live in a city, there are a bunch of offbeat video stores that can keep you happy. In MTL, there are 5-6 stores that stock cult films. I'm willing to bet that I could stump netflix for half the films that I rented this week. There are also torrents galore. Seems like a really complicated way to rent a movie.

It's cheap and convenient. And it offers a much, much wider selection than any of the rental places near me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i do the one at a time deal. Get 1-2 new dvds per week. I had problems when I was at 3 and 2 out.

i love that they have DESTROYED Blockbuster. i hate those fuckers.

i went the video store the other day and felt like I was in another era.

so over.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i do the one at a time deal. Get 1-2 new dvds per week. I had problems when I was at 3 and 2 out.

i love that they have DESTROYED Blockbuster. i hate those fuckers.

i went the video store the other day and felt like I was in another era.

so over.

I miss that era...I could zone out for hours back at my Uptown spot Discount Video back in Minneapolis. They had a solid wall of 'Exploitation' VHS tapes. I learned a lot by just hanging out in that section and reading the little blurbs/reviews the crazy staff had stuck on the boxes. Same with the 'Hong Kong Action' section...I don't think I would have developed my finely tuned sense of obsessive behavior around movies in a Netflix age...just not the same.

• What is the purpose of using netflix?

I have late fee issues.

Your point is well-taken though. Austin has killer video stores. I do hit them up to grab the things I can't get from Netflix. But regular renting turns into $8-15 a movie for me.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I miss that era...I could zone out for hours back at my Uptown spot Discount Video back in Minneapolis. They had a solid wall of 'Exploitation' VHS tapes. I learned a lot by just hanging out in that section and reading the little blurbs/reviews the crazy staff had stuck on the boxes. Same with the 'Hong Kong Action' section...I don't think I would have developed my finely tuned sense of obsessive behavior around movies in a Netflix age...just not the same.

I worked in a video store in high school and over my first couple college vacations. I would zone out for hours and no one would come in. Taking home stacks of movies at a time, etc.

Thing i like about netflix is that i can get very deep into a particular style or topic and have lots of options. I'm not one for all of the automation of our lives, but in this case i still say Netflix rules. I line up a bunch of stuff i am in the mood for and go one about my life. When they come to my door, i watch them. bingbangboom.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i like netflix for renting guilty pleasure crud that i don't want to spend $4 on at the local video store. it was because of netflix that i took a chance on the notebook and was surprised that i actually liked it. also it's good for renting tv-series because i can take my time with watching episodes instead of having to rent them from the video store and forcing time to watch them all at once before they are due.

i love my local video store though and give them business. they're nice and wipe out my late fees sometimes, they got an amazing selection of music related videos, they got a photobooth in there, AND they sell these buttons of famous movie scenes by neighborhood artist maria forde

knife in the water

scanners

the jerk

• scanners

Wow. So ill the artist chose this move and this scene.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

yeah i got the scanners button on my handbag. i love that scene and i kinda love cronenberg.

she also did a series of buttons called "actors i think are good" that the video store sold as well

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    You can request thier Purchasing Dept to carry any DVD, don't know how on point they are but here:
    http://www.netflix.com/ContactCustService?subject=Customer+Title+Request&type=103&lnkctr=FAQ
    Can't hurt.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

yeah i got the scanners button on my handbag. i love that scene and i kinda love cronenberg.

she also did a series of buttons called "actors i think are good" that the video store sold as well

[img]

"Stripes"-era John Candy?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    What is the purpose of using netflix?

I have late fee issues.

Your point is well-taken though. Austin has killer video stores. I do hit them up to grab the things I can't get from Netflix. But regular renting turns into $8-15 a movie for me.

I usually burn the movies I rent & return it same day. Also, torrents have EVERYTHING. I dl'ed "Killer In Double-Flag Town" & "Burning Paradise" the other day. Next up is some King Hu joints & "Butterfly Sword".

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    I love Netflix, because I tend to get crazy late fees. Someone please school me on good torrent sites to find more obscure shit and documentaries. I have recently just got into the whole torrent thing and haven't found the good movie spots yet.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The only good video store near me is a 30 minute drive to an area I never have any business in, and I think rentals are two days

I once accidentally accrued $60 in late fees at the only indie video shop in town, which is pretty crappy anyway (ended up settling up for $30)

I had just given up on renting movies but my girl recently got netflix and she's been really enjoying it...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

AWESOME!!

"HE HATES THESE CANS!!"

"...MORE CANS!!!"

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Like he said.. late fees. I will stray from Netflix one time and end up with a $5 late fee. And maybe it would be cheaper over all even with late fees per month but for me it's that ass hurt feeling that goes along with late fees and having to deal with that guy at the counter "You want to take care of that now??".

GeneP - I haven't had any issues with them lately (or ever) .. if I send one back Monday, I'll get another one around Wed or Thur almost every time.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    i took a chance on the notebook and was surprised that i actually liked it

this movie is like a phenomenon among girls. next level chick flick. my ex and I got in a HUGE fight when I didn't want to watch the whole thing for the 2nd time.

then again, there were some other underlying issues there....

• [img]

"Stripes"-era John Candy?

I had the same thought at first but he had a buzz or long hair in "Stripes". I think that's "Volunteers" Candy.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i took a chance on the notebook and was surprised that i actually liked it

this movie is like a phenomenon among girls. next level chick flick. my ex and I got in a HUGE fight when I didn't want to watch the whole thing for the 2nd time.

then again, there were some other underlying issues there....
    don't feel bad man, that movie is at a war crime level of crappiness.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

"actors i think are good"

uh no.

you're lucky you got a cool neighborhood video store. they are extremely rare for places that i live.

netflix is bullshit but it works okay. i've seen hundreds of good movies since i joined up about 3 years ago. and the price works out to about 1.50 dollars a movie which is generally cheaper than places like blockbuster.

do i sound like a netflix spokesman ?

greencine's selection is about the same.

facets is a total terd. DO NOT ORDER MOVIES FROM FACETS UNLESS YOU LIVE IN CHICAGO!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Is it wrong that I thought Harry Dean was Jeremy Irons?

I have no beef with Netflix. They've been sending me movies for at least four years, if not longer. Things are almost always rapid on the turnaround. I know about the lawsuit, and what they do to "throttle" customers is bullshit, but I have never been "throttled" at least not that I've noticed.

Currently at home:
    Inconvenient Truth
    This Film is Not Yet Rated
    The Prestige.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

Is it wrong that I thought Harry Dean was Jeremy Irons?

I have no beef with Netflix. They've been sending me movies for at least four years, if not longer. Things are almost always rapid on the turnaround. I know about the lawsuit, and what they do to "throttle" customers is bullshit, but I have never been "throttled" at least not that I've noticed.

Currently at home:
    Inconvenient Truth
    This Film is Not Yet Rated
    The Prestige.

i thought it was dennis hopper. not that it necessarily looked like dennis hopper, but i always get harry dean stanton and dennis hopper mixed up in my mind's eye for some reason. i also thought harry dean stanton and dean stockwell were the same people for the longest time too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this makes me want to sign up for netflix. would it be good for me if i just got like 2-3 dvds a week of mostly older stuff i just never got around to watching?