MCs that made the biggest change...

ExtraExtraExtraExtra 209 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
not really for better or worse but which MCs styles/persona/whatever have "evolved" the most.Just off the top of my head... Kool Keith (again, not for better or worse.maybe even Cam'ron?

Comments

• Andre3000?

From to

• _JULIUS__JULIUS_ 76 Posts
    Lil'Kim?

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Maestro Fresh Wes
    Fat Joe

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Maestro Fresh Wes

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    MF Doom/Zev Love is the first to come to mind.

And also Common.

He went from:

To:

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Method Man - i remember a time when his presence on a song was greeted with anticipation.

Redman - he might want dick riders to shut the fuck up, but he still changed his style up.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I think we need to rename this post:

MC's that made the biggest change that weren't tainted directly by Erykah Badu[/b]

• Redman - he might want dick riders to shut the fuck up, but he still changed his style up.

for real? I was thinking Redman hasn't changed up that much as far as style/content and all that.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    LL cool J
    boomin system to ja rule wanna be

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Redman - he might want dick riders to shut the fuck up, but he still changed his style up.

for real? I was thinking Redman hasn't changed up that much as far as style/content and all that.

Right... I haven't heard anything he's done in maybe the past two years, but aside from some questionable beat choices he's pretty much always remained hard as the fuck

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    OOOOooohhh, We Love You Rakeem!!!

Luda is goin' thru some changes recently.

Hass G & Kool Kim flipped the fuck out on the second joint.

Nas/Nasty Nas/Escobar/Nastradamous/etc....

Intelligent Hoodlum and all his other incarnations.

Keith fathered the Alias.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    hard as the fuck

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Right... I haven't heard anything he's done in maybe the past two years, but aside from some questionable beat choices he's pretty much always remained hard as the fuck

Has anyone heard the album that's supposedly dropping Tuesday?

I thought the mixtape was really good.

It's a shame that it's received zero promotion, because I think he could still make some noise on a commercial level.

Maybe he should do a theme-dance record. "The Reggie Noble"?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    hard as the fuck

Fresh Prince->Will Smith
    50 Cent?

I thought the mixtape was really good.

I dindt even know a new Redman album was about to drop. Def Jam.......

My subtle attempt to reference the 'n****s like he changed his style up, shut the fuck up your still a dick rider' line from 'Pick It Up' sorta didn't work there. Apologies to you ass-hurt Redman fan boys who don't even know the lyrics to his songs.

Def Jam definately dropped the ball, the mixtape is dope.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My subtle attempt to reference the 'n****s like he changed his style up, shut the fuck up your still a dick rider' line from 'Pick It Up' sorta didn't work there. Apologies to you ass-hurt Redman fan boys who don't even know the lyrics to his songs.

Tepid

Tepid

i'm glad you liked it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Tupac

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    Jay-z, a while back.

Masta Ace

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hammer

Jay-z, a while back. Masta Ace

Explain.

• being a diverse MC with different styles is different from evolving into whole new characters

Explain.

Jay Z used to do that fast-rhyme stuff back in the day and then switched his style up. Masta Ace style has varied quite a bit over the course of his career - but his west coast gangsta album was just parody I guess.

Explain.

Jay Z used to do that fast-rhyme stuff back in the day and then switched his style up. Masta Ace style has varied quite a bit over the course of his career - but his west coast gangsta album was just parody I guess.

I have to disagree.

Jay never really abandoned the fast-rhymes entirely. It just came w/ different cadences.

Masta Ace/Ase has a pretty consistant rhyme style and stays on course w/ quasi-concept albums.
    If he did an MC Negro and The Ignorant MC album..........

Zev Luv X/MF Doom is probably the most extreme/clear example here.

Oh yeah, Everlast has switched quite a bit.

Explain.

I have to disagree.

Jay never really abandoned the fast-rhymes entirely. It just came w/ different cadences.

Masta Ace/Ase has a pretty consistant rhyme style and stays on course w/ quasi-concept albums.
    If he did an MC Negro and The Ignorant MC album..........

Zev Luv X/MF Doom is probably the most extreme/clear example here.

Oh yeah, Everlast has switched quite a bit.

I'm honestly not really a huge fan of either one, so you're probably right on both counts. But didn't Jay Z used to only rhyme fast? That seems like a style change to me.

I'm all for artists changing up their style and progressing, as long as it's not on some bandwagon bullshit.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    But didn't Jay Z used to only rhyme fast?

No...

• Buck 65

from

to

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Nas/Nasty Nas/Escobar/Nastradamous/etc....

he went from one of the best to someone whose new tapes I don't even really check for.

oh, and Saafir has changed considerably since his days with Plan B.