LCD Soundsystem?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Any fans on here? I never got the last record but "City's a Sucker" and of course"Losing my Edge" singles are the shit. Never thought I'd buy a full length by them but they're getting great press and reviews. http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/profiles/29425/Anybody hear the record? Should I pick this up with the new Devin the Dude? Murphy seems like a cool dude.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yes. One of the few good things, and I would argue the only great thing that came out of the recent post-punk/non-disco/whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit movement. His new album is excellent, but I can't argue with anything in the catalog, really.

Do I sound white?

Brooklynite?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Any fans on here? I never got the last record but "City's a Sucker" and of course"Losing my Edge" singles are the shit.

Never thought I'd buy a full length by them but they're getting great press and reviews.

http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/profiles/29425/

Anybody hear the record? Should I pick this up with the new Devin the Dude?

Murphy seems like a cool dude.

It's good, but Murphy's tendency to wear his influences on his sleeve can seem a little excessive in places. There's at least two tunes which sound like the Human League, another which sounds like Pete Shelley's "Homosapien" and a ballad at the end that reminded me of Bowie's "Rock & Roll Suicide". This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because unlike a lot of exercises in 80's retro-revivalism, Murphy brings enough original ideas to the table for the record to stand up on its own. It's definitely worth a listen.

• This cd was well worth the purchase....as is his last outing and almost anything on DFA Records. The man knows his percussion

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

It's good, but Murphy's tendency to wear his influences on his sleeve can seem a little excessive in places. There's at least two tunes which sound like the Human League, another which sounds like Pete Shelley's "Homosapien" and a ballad at the end that reminded me of Bowie's "Rock & Roll Suicide". This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because unlike a lot of exercises in 80's retro-revivalism, Murphy brings enough original ideas to the table for the record to stand up on its own. It's definitely worth a listen.

Thanks for putting this so succinctly - this is exactly what I like about it.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

Thanks for putting this so succinctly - this is exactly what I like about it.

ditto.

and yeah, dude knows cowbells + how to engineer them to sound right[/b].

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    get innocuous is really fucking good

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I don't like the new LCD soundsystem, there is nothing fresh or unique about it, thats what LCD is about but this time it didn't match up. I can't stand the vocals. ah well. but I recommend other shitt on the DFA label.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    yea im not really feeling it, even though i didnt give it a dedicated listen. that dfa stuff has been too for me. im likin this though.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    sounds like Pete Shelley's "Homosapien"

Yeah that's the "north american scum" record. I'm not sure if I hate or love that song? It's getting some burn on LA alternative radio.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Some of his stuff is straight garbage ("Disco Infiltrator"?) and some of his stuff is good, if not terribly original. The Pitchfork types are drooling over the new album; I want to take a "taste" before buying.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I like them in general and James is a talented dude but DocMcCoy really nailed it on the head with his statement. And yeah, I've listened to the new album a few times and I like it, it's growing on me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I saw him DJ once in Chicago after his gigs... berzerker on the decks. Not a bad thing at all (as long as he isn't using your equipment).

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Never paid too much attention to the previous album but I like the new one plus I LOVE the Nike mix he did recently first song on there is nOiCe!

• i haven't heard the newest one but the old one was really good.
    i saw him live with MIA opening a year or so ago in Chicago and it was soooo good (both of'em).

on a similar note, the new !!! has some good shit on it: