Village Voice breaks MIMS down:

2»

Comments

• i like the song. fuck lyrics. the song goes.

Thank you.

And for you all dudes cryin' about how this song's lyrics are what's wrong with hip-hop (I see you, Yuichi!), listen to a real schitt lyrical rapper over the same beat:

At least Mims knows where the beat is.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I can't get with dude's name.

Sounds like it should be a delicate tea cracker or minty cookie.

mmmmm....Mims. great with Earl Grey.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i like the song. fuck lyrics. the song goes.

Thank you.

And for you all dudes cryin' about how this song's lyrics are what's wrong with hip-hop (I see you, Yuichi!), listen to a real schitt lyrical rapper over the same beat:

At least Mims knows where the beat is.

motherfucking WOW!!!!!

kweli may be the worst rapper alive. jesus...he starts off on beat and then PLADOW!!!!

fucking train wreck emcee.

fucking train wreck emcee.

always has been.

my white ass has more rythym in my pinky than dude ever has. ??

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Thank you.

And for you all dudes cryin' about how this song's lyrics are what's wrong with hip-hop

Well, it's certainly an example of just how far hip-hop has fallen. I'm certainly not one to proclaim that all MCs must have Astonishing Lyrically Lyrical Lyrics! and I definitely appreciate somebody riding a beat well, but this Mims shit is like some next-next-level stupidity. Rhyming "hot" with "hot," "hot," "hot," and "not?" Really? Does that even qualify as rapping? I mean, Dr. Seuss books completely son that shit. We've moved beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel. Hell, Mims scraped right through the bottom of the barrel and is now flailing about on the floor underneath the barrel. Mocking him may be a bit like picking on short-bus kids, but he pretty much brings it on himself.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    I mean, Dr. Seuss books completely son that shit.

paging Noz ?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Thank you.

And for you all dudes cryin' about how this song's lyrics are what's wrong with hip-hop

Well, it's certainly an example of just how far hip-hop has fallen. I'm certainly not one to proclaim that all MCs must have Astonishing Lyrically Lyrical Lyrics! and I definitely appreciate somebody riding a beat well, but this Mims shit is like some next-next-level stupidity. Rhyming "hot" with "hot," "hot," "hot," and "not?" Really? Does that even qualify as rapping? I mean, Dr. Seuss books completely son that shit. We've moved beyond scraping the bottom of the barrel. Hell, Mims scraped right through the bottom of the barrel and is now flailing about on the floor underneath the barrel. Mocking him may be a bit like picking on short-bus kids, but he pretty much brings it on himself.
    its a fucking chorus dude chill out

there have been silly non-lyrical rap songs forever, i don't get why people seem to think this is some new dumbed-down thing. "We like the cars, the cars that go boom," i mean seriously.

'how far hip-hop has fallen' my ass

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dudes just need to man up and say, "YEAH. I LIKE PROG RAP. WHAT."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Thank you.

its a fucking chorus dude chill out

there have been silly non-lyrical rap songs forever, i don't get why people seem to think this is some new dumbed-down thing. "We like the cars, the cars that go boom," i mean seriously.

'how far hip-hop has fallen' my ass

Yes, but people mostly took L'Trimm as a joke. Is this to say that you take Mims as a joke?

no it's to say he took L'Trimm for serious.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    oh man have you seen that new cell phone commercial where a corny Asian dude is rapping E-40 in the bathroom?

hilarious.

best commercial ever. a slight rip-off of that scene in office space, but it still kills me every time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I can't believe this discussion is still taking place.

Yes, Mims is awful--but it's not because he is insufficiently superscientifical with his.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If deej doesn't accuse some of these dudes of NOT PARTYING soon, I will be very disappointed.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

oh man have you seen that new cell phone commercial where a corny Asian dude is rapping E-40 in the bathroom?

hilarious.

best commercial ever. a slight rip-off of that scene in office space, but it still kills me every time.

I was kidding.

I can't believe nerdy-or-old-non-black-person-rapping-and-or-using-hip-hop-slang still gets any play at all in marketing. And yet this hackneyed concept is still all over the place.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

hilarious.

I was kidding.

I can't believe nerdy-or-old-non-black-person-rapping-and-or-using-hip-hop-slang still gets any play at all in marketing. And yet this hackneyed concept is still all over the place.

i hear you, but this isnt fran drescher saying "for shizzle" in that old navy commercial. this commercial could easily be a nerdy black dude rapping. its funny because he gets caught singing, not because its mocking hip hop.

anyway, your crazy. i have a superior sense of humor and i find it funny. case closed.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    anyway, your crazy. i have a superior sense of humor and i find it funny. case closed.

and

Love it.

whatever. both y'all are racist.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    mims sucks.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Has anybody here actually heard anything other than "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Has anybody here actually heard anything other than "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims?
    i doubt it
    why does it matter? I dont think anyone defending mims is acting like he's a fucking rap-auteur

for mr. rillz:

do none of you party?

• Has anybody here actually heard anything other than "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims?

He had a song about 4 years ago called "I Did You Wrong" that had a very Kanye-esque (read: chipmunks) beat. It wasn't bad.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    My favourite part:

[..] which is awfully gentlemanly of him, really.

• Has anybody here actually heard anything other than "This Is Why I'm Hot" by Mims?

He had a song about 4 years ago called "I Did You Wrong" that had a very Kanye-esque (read: chipmunks) beat. It wasn't bad.

cosign. i actually played it out and got semi ok results... filler. but good filler.

i just don't understand the whole "mims sucks" argument. the beat goes. it's a chorus... it's catchy... the chorus goes. it's a fun song.... if you can't see why singing along or screaming " THIS IS WHY IM HOT..." when you are drunk as shit, or maybe showing that girl you've been freaking all night long a little bit more reason as to why you're "hot", could be fun... then you probably don't belong in an establishment where said song would be played.

it's a club song.. a radio song... dont like it? maybe you shouldnt be in clubs or listening to the radio.

i hate dressing up and avoid clubs with dresscodes... i think it's wack to be uncomfortable... i dont go and sulk around and tell people that it's wack to wear pants that fit me. i just stay my ass where its comfortable...

some people can be drunk or sober and just have some fun with a dumb song... some people can get blunted and get all boogiemonsterish talk about the mark of the beast.

it is what it is.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    if you can't see why singing along or screaming " THIS IS WHY IM HOT..." when you are drunk as shit
    I think I've seen you at clubs before... Becky, right?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Yeah, I heard a joint called "Doctor Doctor", which, in a deliciously ironic twist on the prog-rap vs. "dumb"-rap theme that's emerging, samples "Moonchild" by King Crimson. It's OK. It ain't gonna tilt the world off its axis, but I'm not mad at it.

• dudes just need to man up and say, "YEAH. I LIKE PROG RAP. WHAT."

so would that be Dream Warriors or Stereo MCs?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't know but I think people who criticize music as not being complicated enough are weird

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I don't know but I think people who criticize music as not being complicated enough are weird

Absolutely.

And the only reason I asked if anybody had heard anything else by the guy is because he's getting "ethered" here over one single that was clearly made as a dance/club single as if he's the worst artist to "ruin hip hop" in the last 5 years. He's not necessarily that bad just because one of his songs has some completely meaningless lyrics. So far, all of the responses by people who have heard other songs by the guy say they were decent.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

cosign. i actually played it out and got semi ok results... filler. but good filler.

i just don't understand the whole "mims sucks" argument. the beat goes. it's a chorus... it's catchy... the chorus goes. it's a fun song.... if you can't see why singing along or screaming " THIS IS WHY IM HOT..." when you are drunk as shit, or maybe showing that girl you've been freaking all night long a little bit more reason as to why you're "hot", could be fun... then you probably don't belong in an establishment where said song would be played.

it's a club song.. a radio song... dont like it? maybe you shouldnt be in clubs or listening to the radio.
    aka
    do you party