~~~Basic Records You Never Pass On~~~~~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
So there are always albums that I come across in the cheap bins that I will never pass on. Either I have 5 copies of the same album, or I'll buy it and pass it along to a buddy.Here are a few that I always seem to keep buying.-Les McCann "Layers"-Sergio Mendes "Stillness"-Dom Um Romano on Muse (found 10+ copies over the years. great LP)-Joe Farrell "Up on This Rock" What about you? What LP's will you not pass on?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So there are always albums that I come across in the cheap bins that I will never pass on. Either I have 5 copies of the same album, or I'll buy it and pass it along to a buddy.

Here are a few that I always seem to keep buying.

-Les McCann "Layers"
    -Sergio Mendes "Stillness"
    -Dom Um Romano on Muse (found 10+ copies over the years. great LP)
    -Joe Farrell "Up on This Rock"

What about you? What LP's will you not pass on?

Alice Cooper-Love It To Death
    Beach Boys-Pet Sounds
    Ramsey Lewis-Another Voyage/Sun Goddess/Goes Latin

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Unless it's some extreme situation, like I'm upgrading to a better copy or it's mega-raer or I just plain forgot I had it, I never quite got the wisdom of buying the same record more than once. Too much stuff I haven't heard, a shitload of records in the collection as is - don't need to do the multiple-copies thing, life's too short.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When I played out, I would cop one for home listening and one to spin/get jacked.

Best Of Sade.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Unless it's some extreme situation, like I'm upgrading to a better copy or it's mega-raer or I just plain forgot I had it, I never quite got the wisdom of buying the same record more than once.

I ususally give them away to folks I have judged to be lacking in Sun Goddess goodness, or I sell them/trade for credit at a later date. Or I just hug my doubles in my Sanctum Sanctorum on dark and stormy nights to temporarily relieve the crushing emptiness of the collector lifestyle.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [reynaldo]Or I just hug my doubles in my Sanctum Sanctorum on dark and stormy nights to temporarily relieve the crushing emptiness of the collector lifestyle. [/reynaldo]

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Invitation To Openess
    Sunflower
    And I always buy a copy of Paris' "The Devil Made Me Do It" lp when I see it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

good god man I have never seen that LP in my life, how about sliding one my way?

for em I find myself gathering up on these

Lani Hall "Love Song"
    O'bryan "S/T"
    Van Morrison "Astral Weeks", "Moondance", and "Tupelo honey"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Van Morrison "Astral Weeks"
    I have never seen that LP in my life, how about sliding one my way?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    For some reason I always pick up Julian Priester "love love" on ECM. I think I bought a copy off meaty (maybe) and after I got it proceeded to find 3 or 4 copies for a dollar each. I just give it away, it's a cool album.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Money Jungle - D Ellington

There's No Place Like America - C Mayfield
    buy them to give to people - not a well-known record for some reason and folks love it when they hear it

• Astral Weeks and Dom are basic?

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

Live - C Mayfield

everyone neeeds to hear this , haha

• Gil-Scott Heron - Winter In America
    Wilmer & The Dukes - S/T

I always come accross these 2 LP's. I have to force myself not to pick up anymore.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    daniel hecht - that one on windham hill
    emitt rhodes stuff
    leo kottke 6 & 12 string guitar
    milt jackson - sunflower
    robin kenyatta - that dope one on ecm, think its called girl of martinique or somethin
    bobby hutcherson - san francisco

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Astral Weeks and Dom are basic?

depends where you live I guess

I'm bugging out on Manduro having multiples of Wilmer & the Dukes (I'm guessing thats an upstate NY disc

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    -Les McCann "Layers"
    -Sergio Mendes "Stillness"

I've yet to find these in the field. Little dude!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I'm bugging out on Manduro having multiples of Wilmer & the Dukes (I'm guessing thats an upstate NY disc

Crochester. $10-15 tops.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    chariot of the gods ost

• donny hathaway - live
    roland kirk- blacknuss

And, to answer the 'why' question, i do it to give them away. everyone needs the former, and I love the latter- 'My Girl,' and 'Ain't No Sunshine,' are classics.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

That record bites. Don't cry.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Curtis
    first 4-6 Sabbaths

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

That record bites. Don't cry.

I have it, and I know it sucks. I'm just steamed that I bought it for $15 cause I thought it was funkyblackmansoulraer

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    PSK

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    PSK

What does that mean?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I never pass on coverless copies of Afrique - soul makossa.

Unless it's the reissue.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I never pass on coverless copies of Afrique - soul makossa.

Unless it's the reissue.

HOW CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE?

KNOWLEDGE ME ON THE PM--LOTTA WETMOUTHS WATCHING!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This whole scenario is most commical to me.

I could be about to have another supertoaster day with this shit!

• the one record i never ever ever pass on is "bounce, rock, skate" got about 40+ copies. peace, stein. . .

• uh, i got a little donald byrd spaces and places problem over here. i think about 15 copies in stock. also there is a little bit of a ramsey lewis madien voyage issue too.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    uh, i got a little donald byrd spaces and places problem over here. i think about 15 copies in stock. also there is a little bit of a ramsey lewis madien voyage issue too.
    I have neither of those I must be the littlest dude ever Usually, if the double is a great album or 45 & is only $1-$2 I'll pick it up to give to people as presents. It's all about record karma