rep your BEER

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
lately i've been all about:

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

anything by this two person brewery out in the Ardennes Mountains of Belgium.

please try hard to find it. its worth it.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Ive had a few two or three PBR's this evening, with more to come. This is by far, not MY beer though.

• fuck y'all pussies

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    for those out in NYC, the noodle house called Soba-Ya has a special buckwheat beer made for them which from what i can tell can not be found anywhere else. Soba beer, damn tasty! check it out and you will not be disappointed, perfect with a big bowl of soba noodles. delicious!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

the ceramic caps (now PVC) made perfect roach clips at one time.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

what's that like? I wonder if the Party Source in KY carries it...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

what!

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

Delicious malty goodness...in a can. It's a Colorado micro, not to be slept on.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    All those Asian and Australian import beers, to me, taste like mineral water. My sense of taste is dulled due to a lack of a sense of smell, though. I really like Red Stripe.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

last two beerfest have been with labatts. not my Beer beer, but a throwback to the days of yore.

Awwwwwwwww.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

what's that like? I wonder if the Party Source in KY carries it...

8% alc. by volume, with a wonderfully musty and characterful aroma. ???Absolutely gorgeous, complex summer refresher with enough interest to drink all year-round.??? (The Beers of Wallonia). Both authors give this beer a perfect 10. Certainly, no other brewer makes beer like this, in Belgium or anywhere. How many beers of 8% plus offer such fresh fruitiness? A solid Belgian saison beer at its base, with an unusual overlay of fruitiness.Selected as one of the fifty best beers in the world by Men's Journal magazine, July 2005.

http://www.richos.com/ ...this place located in New Albany, Indiana; just miles north of Louisville has it, and were the first to carry it in the states.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

last two beerfest have been with labatts. not my Beer beer, but a throwback to the days of yore.

Awwwwwwwww.

Nice - looks more like foot powder than beer.
    Those were the days...

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts

Franziskaner Hefe Weisse

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    [
    8% alc. by volume, with a wonderfully musty and characterful aroma. ???Absolutely gorgeous, complex summer refresher with enough interest to drink all year-round.??? (The Beers of Wallonia). Both authors give this beer a perfect 10. Certainly, no other brewer makes beer like this, in Belgium or anywhere. How many beers of 8% plus offer such fresh fruitiness? A solid Belgian saison beer at its base, with an unusual overlay of fruitiness.Selected as one of the fifty best beers in the world by Men's Journal magazine, July 2005.

http://www.richos.com/ ...this place located in New Albany, Indiana; just miles north of Louisville has it, and were the first to carry it in the states.

I worked for the distributors that handle the porfolio (shelton brothers) that imports that stuff in NYC. Fantome basically gets allocated before it arrives. I'm a big fan of Saison Dupont, Dogfish, La Binchoise, Julius Echter Dunkel, North Coast, and Sierra Nevada pale ale.

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I never understood the appeal of these belgian beers... I got into huge fights over this with some beer obsessed friends in the US. Strangely enough, the US seems to be the only place outside of Belgium where this stuff experiences some degree of popularity. I find them too sweet, sticky and especialy the stronger ones just plain disgusting. The gimmicky names and infantile label designs do the rest.

Personaly, I would considder Franziskaner to be one of the lesser Hefe Weizen. Try Maisel's or Weihenstephaner. Even Paulaner is much, much better than Franziskaner. The best Hefe Weizen is made by small, local breweries that sadly don't do any exporting. It's even hard to find them in Germany once outside of Bavaria.

Hefe Weizen definately is delicious. Try it with White Sausage, Sweet Mustard and a fresh Bretzel... normaly you start with this before noon in a nice beer garden shaded by old chestnut trees.... heaven...

Guess how I plan to spend most of my time during the next visit to the fatherland...

Hefe Weizen for me is strictly a summer beer. It also containins more bubbles than other beers and will bloat you like a balloon if drunk excessively ( and let's face it, that's what beer is made for). This is why it is not a good choice to drink it while going out at night.

This very fine Pilsener here is made at a brewery half an hour from the village in the Black Forrest I grew up in:

This beer was fairly unknown outside of the Black Forrest up until a few years ago when Berlin Hipsters decided to like it and now you can find it at a fair number of Berlin's better Bars and Clubs. It really is a very fine beer and you should try it if you ever get the chance.

right now I'm stuck with this

not too bad actualy...

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    Its been a summer of Pilsners for me .. currently konig ::

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    While K??nig certainly is not a bad beer, it is still miles away from the top of German Pilsener. Besides Tannenz??pfle, this here is another fine example of how good a Pils can be:

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Now we're talking real beer!

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    While K??nig certainly is not a bad beer, it is still miles away from the top of German Pilsener. Besides Tannenz??pfle, this here is another fine example of how good a Pils can be:

I'll keep an eye out for it - cheers!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I never understood the appeal of these belgian beers... I got into huge fights over this with some beer obsessed friends in the US. Strangely enough, the US seems to be the only place outside of Belgium where this stuff experiences some degree of popularity. I find them too sweet, sticky and especialy the stronger ones just plain disgusting. The gimmicky names and infantile label designs do the rest.

Part of the Burgundian tradition my friend, remember most of them originally weren't meant for a quick drink at the pub. Brewed for the monks by the monks.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Hava fan of this one for a couple months now:

Always a couple of these in the cupboard:

and last night i cooked a wild hare ragout with roasted vegetables so i drank 6 of these:

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    All you pilsner and lager drinkers need to step up your game!

I have never been a fan of "regular beer" certainly never liked domestics or even heineken....piss water that makes you shit water. yucky.

Im a huge beer drinker....regionally the northern california coast seems to put out all my favorites.

Lost Coast, Eel River, Lagunitas, mad river, humbodlt, six river....the list goes on...whatever it is they smoke up there makes their beer all the more skunky. They do not mess around. Lagunitas is the shit right now, brown sugar and the ipa all day. Red Seal is superb. Sierra Nevada and Anchor steam though not from the northern coast are notable as well.

I enjoy a lot of oregon beers but they still cant be faded by cally. Full Sail, Roots, Deschutes, Bridgeport, Mt Hood, Rogue all tasty and wonderful. Terminal Gravity is the REALS.

Washington puts out a fair amount of quality brews as well. I like Moose Drool from Montana and Wolavers is from Vermont I think, but Im not up on the east coast micros. need to travel and taste more.

From across the pond Im always feeling Sammy Smith, Newcastle and Boddingtons. I do enjoy a good porter and stout every now and again.

Not much into raspberry, peach or apricot accents. I prefer bitter, crisp, nutty and full bodied pale ales and reds.

Full Sail makes one regular kinda lager that doesnt taste like booty and has over 5% content. its called Sessions and its as close as I have ever some to liking a lager of anykind. pretty decent. I can sometimes get down with red stripe too.

all in all I love beer, yes homer.

An intersting fact you may not have known...... TsingTao is actually a German Beer, german formula, german machines...German flavour German everything...the only thing that is chinese about it is the name.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

From across the pond Im always feeling Sammy Smith, Newcastle and Boddingtons.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

We here in Sconnie take pride in our beer. The New Glarus Brewery is, without a doubt, the most Solid in the USA. I will drink some in the chalet of our local ski area today. Cheers.

PS This is only a small representation of the beers they brew.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Im sorry but Tsing Tao is .
    I'd rather do tiger beer anyday. Anything Japanese has my vote. But this is what im reppin right now

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm more of a juice snob. Beer's fine, I just haven't been bit by the bug that makes me a nerd about it yet.