Tribe VS. De La

13»

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Vibe, Vibration

I love this album.

but were the true De La fans feeling it at the time?

I remember a lot of die-hard De La fans calling bullshit when this came out.

I can understand people thinking at the time that it was their least impressive to date. And while that CERTAINLY isn't the case anymore given the the AI turds, I still think a lot of heads have backtracked on initial Stakes is High hatteurism.

Of course this is purely anecdotal, and [preemptivehate] fauxrillz can always argue that I don't know any real hip-hop heads [/preemptivehate] .

I am not a good person to speak on Hip-Hop as I stopped really following closely around '94. But Stakes really blew me away. I first heard it at JumpJump when Dan's employee Rev Shinez, the Dj from the Lifesavas put it on. Part of the reason I stopped listening in '94 was the great influx of gangsta style stuff which I just couldn't related to. Stakes took dead aim at that trend in a way that I felt was heartfelt, not asshurt. It's almost like a blues record in that way. My favorite record of that year. I still do chores to "The Breaks", just like the song says.

In '97-'98 I was working with a lot of gang bangers who were into the very hardcore west coast stuff and they hated this record whenever I played it for them. Ditto for Black Star. More Mack 10 and E-40 please.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Like I said I love that record, but:

More E-40 please.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    i usually only compare tribe albums with other tribe albums and ditto with De La albums...
    altho the comparison between these two is worthy of discussion , it all really comes down to what im feelin at the moment for which one is more pleezing to my ears.

in recent weeks it was tribe, but this evening/week ive been on the de la tip .

"Contestent number 2 , do you have the answers??"

so let's tread water

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's De La for me but then I was always biased towards their output (however Stakes never was, and never will be, a great album).

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Tribe all the way. De la was a little too produced for me.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    De La are still putting out dope music, Q-Tip not so much.
    Some of that Tribe shit is definately a bit soft regardless of how classic it might seem on the first 20 listens.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    How many times have you listened to Three Feet High and Rising this year?

Well that's the weakest of their first three LPs, imho. I also find People's Instinctive Travels unlistenable. I still listen to Bulhoone and Is Dead frequently.

Co-dork

• of course i love both groups, but i gotta go with De La. Prince Paul is pretty much the deciding factor for me.

Stakes is High took me a little while to get into, but not that long. It's a fall off, but still respectable and even impressive considering they'd lost Paul.

Buhloone Mindstate is ??BER

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    De La Soul - have not put out a crap record yet.

And I do still listen to their records, cannot say the same for Tribe.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    De La. The only Tribe 12" I would ever consider playing out is El Segundo (Scenario remix is a radio edit). De La on the other hand, I will play 7 of their 12"s in a row all fuck-it-like if I felt the urge.

Oh yeah and this isn't just about 3 ft High.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they're both great and their debuts both kind of suck.

totally disagree.

Can I kick it? Bonita Applebaum? Plug Tunin? Buddy?

Who's got a better debut? Rich Boy?
    rich boy album is one of the worst albums released this year. zone4 productions disappointed.

I "like" those songs but i never want to listen to them any more. The less said about the rest of the album the better.

I probably prefer latter-day tribe at this point to debut album tribe.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Have you heard any of these ?

I'm a fan of De La, but those were

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Jungle Brothers.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yes I have and I disagree.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

yes I have and I disagree.

They had some nice tracks but in general i was a little worried about our boys.

They came back with these:

BTW; is Maseo still down with De La- I didn't hear him at all on Impossible mission???

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    the love movement still sucks.

No, it used to suck, but now that Jay Dee has passed, it has suddenly become incredible, along with every other thing he ever touched, including toilet seats and my sister. Get with the program, man. The kids over at the Stones Throw message board can fill you in on the really.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    It's a tie for me.

• I still like to listen to Tribe. At least, theoretically; I don't think I've actually done so in about a year.

Music is best listened to theoretically.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I still like to listen to Tribe. At least, theoretically; I don't think I've actually done so in about a year.

Music is best listened to theoretically.

It is indeed the best way. So it has been for centuries.

• Well, duh.