Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone check them out? They have a 10" on T.T.Lab that is kinging shit.

http://www.hypnoticbrass.blogspot.com/http://www.myspace.com/hypnoticbusiness

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You guys really need to be checking this thread.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i got some of there shit as a promo a little while ago and have been really feeling it.

But yo Day i got your album a few days ago and have been really feeling it. I played "gone bad" at my spot on sat and people were coming up like mad asking what it was. So hopefully that will generate a few sales for you man. Shit is dope dude.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I've seen them around town. Recording brass on TAPE is

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Thanks man, I appreciate it for real.

But YO, forget about me, it's all about these dudes right here!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i love when they play spottieottiedopalicious. that shit KILLS me!

• it's all about these dudes right here!

Yes it is. 6 of the 8(?) sons of Philip Cochran (of Artistic Heritage Ensemble fame) are killing it. Two albums that i know of ("green" = excellent!)

two 10" releases so far, both limited to 500 copies. This is the first one:

http://www.tussenderegels.com/music/hypnotic_brass_jupiter(club.cortez).mp3
    http://www.tussenderegels.com/music/hypnotic_brass_balicky(club.cortez).mp3

Support them if you like this!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Anyone check them out? They have a 10" on T.T.Lab that is kinging shit.

It's in the mail. Looking forward to it.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    I've seen them around town

so damn good. really makes my day catching them in the station. my friend is working with them in some kind of management capacity, excited to hear what form a "bigger" project from them will take.

along with the 10"s there are two CD-R albums (green cover and red cover) they sell at the subway gigs.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not bad...and good to see this sort of thing happening outside of NOLA.

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    haven't heard these guys before. sounds good. but not as good as the Hot 8 Brass Band doing 'Sexual Healing' - upcoming release on Tru Thoughts.

killing dancefloors as far away as dublin, right now. check it out.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back about along the lines of getting school bands to cover down south stuff. anything ever come of that??

brass bands are right now

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    That first song is killin' it.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

so damn good. really makes my day catching them in the station. my friend is working with them in some kind of management capacity, excited to hear what form a "bigger" project from them will take.

along with the 10"s there are two CD-R albums (green cover and red cover) they sell at the subway gigs.

Getting them in the studio and working over beats would be

Someone in NY cop me those CD-R's! I'll shoot you $ no joke.

Any plans of a full-length? I can see them do tours like Antibalas and Ozomatli.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

Getting them in the studio and working over beats would be

serious, outside of NYC can anybody get these? im about to call my sister up to be on the look out when she takes the subway to work.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    cop this

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Last year I was trying to book these guys for a show in Brooklyn but it was just beyond my means at the time. Maybe I should revisit my efforts on this.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

My wife bought one or both of the CDs in the subway a year or so ago. I'll try to find it, or buy them for you next time we see them.

I bumped into Knox (the friend catchdubs mentioned above) the other day and he gave me the new shit he's working on, if you're interested.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It took me awhile to get into the song but I really dig it. Circular horn arrangements that gradually change over the course of the song.

I agree with Day that bringing these guys together with some beatmakers would really seal the deal.

• cop this

live last weekend in my town:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    cop this

live last weekend in my town:

• Just did a show with these guys a couple weeks ago. Kicked it and drank Hennesy with the fam backstage. The entire group minus 2 is all blood brothers. Really dope cats. Amazing music. And their pops is NO JOKE.

He played with Sun Ra's Arkestra and started Earth Wind & Fire. Makes the picture a lil clearer doesn't it?

• I just heard the catchdubs remix of "war" and the jay-z track on gilles peterson's show...

• niiiicccce. thanks for the video AND for putting me up on some new music to hunt for. peace.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

That shit gave me goosebumps.
    I'm just glad these dudes EXIST. Yahm?

Bam, thanks for the PM. Now I'm on the hunt for the Japan only raer...

• dayday 9,612 Posts

holy shit.

holy shit.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I heart their sound, and hard work. They sound fresh, and have so many years left to mature at what they are doing. I've been digesting that 10/29/07 Highline Ballroom show in NYC. "War" and "Mars" is what we need more in music right now! These guys can only get better with age. Please, somebody in NYC buy those CD-R's for us non-NYers, or give them this website.

• holy shits I love this!!!

DAMN DAY I HAD A BITCH OF A DAY, THIS BAND MAKES ME SMILE.

I 3(uzi) soulstrut