Obvious rock in the club

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Often times you'll find that in big clubs that deal with "party music" or whatever you're dealing with the lowest common denominator. Personally I'm not ever going to play "Living On A Prayer" but honestly more often than not I would guess that some DJs have better success playing this song than some of the shit Hook Up has suggested. It's all about context. If I was at a hipster bar/club and was going to play some real rock and roll I would, and I would leave all the "Club Rock Anthems" for the people who really want to just come out to a hip-hop night and get their 25 minute dose of rock so that they feel "edgy."

Can't really knock the hustle nor the hustler, from either side of the fence.

I haven't played any of those ROCK ANTHEMS in years cause they're so fucking played out to me. But when I do get the chance to slip some shit in my sets I'll definintely play (rock songs that I've played at clubs within the past 6 months:)

Jimi Hendrix "Fire"
    The Clash "Clampdown"
    ELO "Evil Woman"
    Bunch of Bloc Party joints
    Gand Of Four "54-4"
    Pixies "Debaser"
    Various songs from Blur that are NOT "Song No. 2"
    Some Pulp jawns.
    Slits "Heard It Through The Grapevine" (I always have massive success playing this.)
    White Strips "Hardest Button To Button"

This is just off the top off my head, shit I can remember right now. But you know, If I'm actually doing a full on Rock and Roll set, I go the fuck IN and get buck wild playing all sorts of bangers.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As for this thread, once again Soulstrut proves its taste in rock is even more embarrassing than its taste in clothes.

I started to say - some of y'all are naming off these RANDOM off-the-head rock joints that don't have a thing in common.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I started to say - some of y'all are naming off these RANDOM off-the-head rock joints that don't have a thing in common.

what alot of the stuff named has in common is that it SUCKS

Tears for Fears, INXS, BON Jovi??????

FREEBIRD DUDE!!!!!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nothing wrong with INXS or Tears For Fears in my opinion.

• Damn reactions are hilarious to this one. I might as well chime in on what I was thinking. You know I love getting payed to play raers to the right crowd in the right venue and getting paid like I know all you do too

BUT, sometimes it's a becky's birthday and she dosent really go wild for a bunch a boogaloo or whatever and her and her friends just want something to dance to,so you can get them to be happy. Or maybe some working dudes have some real gigs that they dont exactly feel on an artistic dj picasso tip

Or maybe possibly you just like songs that also happen to be popular or even really fucking popular. I can only imagine if this was an obvious rap/soul/disco/funk/punk/italo in the club or whatever other than rock it probably wouldnt have got the blast like it did.

And I hope if the thread was just whatever obscure/cool rock music in the club thread the responses would have hopefully had better/more enthusiastic less corny responses, so claiming the soulstrut massive to have bad taste in rock based on this thread seems kinda clueless.

Nothing wrong with INXS or Tears For Fears in my opinion.

To each their own.

that stuff just seems so overplayed to me( maybe because I actually remember disliking it when it first came out )

I understand that desire of djs to play something that the crowd knows & can get geniunely excited about, but that 80s hits stuff is like the mcdonalds of music.

there has to be another way.

good choice on the slits tho, I've played that & it works a charm - people know the song, but they don't know it at the same time, it's new & interesting to them - if that makes any sense.

---

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Ram Jam - Black Betty

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah well I actually liked Tears for Fears and INXS when they were current, but you probably won't catch me playing anything from either one of these bands (with the exception of MAYBE "Original Sin" on the rare occasion - Nile Rogers HOLLER.)

But yeah, my point is that you can't knock dudes who play this stuff out in clubs. It's standard club fodder. I don't think the original poster of this thread was saying that he's trying to reinvent the wheel and all. He's just looking for the suggestions of the "standard club banger" and all. And yes, you are correct that most of these songs are overplayed, along with songs like Prince "Kiss," Michael Jackson "Billie Jean," Rob Base "It Takes Two" and tons of songs from other genres. However, in more cases than not, go out to a club and you're gonna here theses songs because it's what the general population of people want to hear when they go out to a party, and so they almost always work, and so they'll never really stop being played.

As for the "other way" I don't know what you mean. Another way of playing songs that people get excited about that's not super played out? The "way" is just doing exactly that, and that's just one of the components to what makes a dope DJ.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

good choice on the slits tho, I've played that & it works a charm - people know the song, but they don't know it at the same time, it's new & interesting to them - if that makes any sense.

---

I'm going to see the Slits this friday, hope it's a good show.

they almost always work, and so they'll never really stop being played.

sure & I'll keep thinking it's corny & unimaginative.

I can't help but think that generic playlist selections like that are almost eliminating the need for a dj at all.

'babys got back' - wow, I never heard this one before...

---

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I can't help but think that generic playlist selections like that are almost eliminating the need for a dj at all.

---

babys got back kills it in Shrek...the kids love it

• Going along with the post-punk, Gang of Four feel, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants would probably work, too.

You could really do an entire set around that late 70s/early 80s London sound, IMO. Throw on some Malcolm McLaren to bridge into some Italo if you wanna spread it out. Then bring it back with Loose Ends...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

---

Well what are you going to do? Fact of the matter is that the majority or people in this world just are not into being "schooled" when they go to a party/club. They want to fraternize, dance, get fucked up, and get laid.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I might as well chime in on what I was thinking....BUT, sometimes it's a becky's birthday and she dosent really go wild for a bunch a boogaloo or whatever and her and her friends just want something to dance to,so you can get them to be happy.

Believe it or not, I understand where you're coming from. I've played my share of gigs where I've had to do just that. I've played REO Speedwagon "Keep On Loving You" and Journey "Don't Stop Believing" at parties where they were requested beforehand and people went bonkers. If I tried that shit at other parties, it would be an embarrassment for me and the crowd who'd much rather hear The Sonics & MC5.

As with any gig, you've just got to know the audience in question. You might get a lot of people on SS telling you that Bon Jovi & Poison will get any white crowd live, only to get Becky's boyfriend ask you what the fuck you're doing when you drop them, and could you please play The White Stripes or The Killers instead.

claiming the soulstrut massive to have bad taste in rock based on this thread seems kinda clueless.

I've been on this board for at least 5 1/2 years. This thread is just confirmation of what I figured out 5 years ago.

Well what are you going to do? Fact of the matter is that the majority or people in this world just are not into being "schooled" when they go to a party/club. They want to fraternize, dance, get fucked up, and get laid.

the schooling people angle is not where I'm coming from, I'm basically just saying that even spinning something a hair off the beaten path like Toto 'Georgy Peorgy' is preferable to Bon Jovi, 'it takes 2', 'baby's got back' etc ad infinitum.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    We're saying the same thing dog but you're missing my point. The way of thinking that you and I have about this is NOT shared by the majority of the population of people who go out to clubs and parties.

the schooling people angle is not where I'm coming from, I'm basically just saying that even spinning something a hair off the beaten path like Toto 'Georgy Peorgy' is preferable to Bon Jovi, 'it takes 2', 'baby's got back' et al ad infinitum.

We're saying the same thing dog but you're missing my point. The way of thinking that you and I have about this is NOT shared by the majority of the population of people who go out to clubs and parties.

oh no, I take your point, I'm just hating on the fact of the matter.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I guess one of the key points here would be whether or not the music is being played "ironically" and, if so, whether you know the crowd enough to pull it off. Like, when the Yacht Rock series was all the rage, I'd spin mini-sets with Doobie Brothers, Journey + Van Halen and it was a hilarious backdrop to the drunken party rage (in between my soul, funk, 60s garage, post-punk, etc). But I couldn't get away with that in my town now necessarily ... the joke is over. But, in general, classic rock tunes can be plain fun ... you just have to set a context.

Don't think I'd spin Mr. Mellencamp under any circumstances ... that's going too far for me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    'it takes 2'

Plaese to not be comparing rap classics to Bon Jovi.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    'it takes 2'

Come on, D, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING, mannnnnn...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Going along with the post-punk, Gang of Four feel, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants would probably work, too.

You could really do an entire set around that late 70s/early 80s London sound, IMO. Throw on some Malcolm McLaren to bridge into some Italo if you wanna spread it out. Then bring it back with Loose Ends...

Aaronbobo is a working DJ now? Oh my.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    John Cougar Mellonhead

• Going along with the post-punk, Gang of Four feel, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants would probably work, too.

Aaronbobo is a working DJ now? Oh my.

I'm not, but I could still put together a better pretend set than you.

'it takes 2'

"I wanna rock right now..."

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Don't think I'd spin Mr. Mellencamp under any circumstances ... that's going too far for me.

yall are a bunch of fuckin herbs
    ive seen dudes who have been djing since before half the people on this board were born rock doubles of john cougar mellencamp, FOR A ROCK CROWD, and make everyone sit back, appreciate and drink more. (P--l K--------,wassapppenin?)

all depends how and wen you rock the shit. personally, i dont give a fuck what is being played (to an extent) if girls are getting live and open to some music, im with it. at my college, i used to frown on early 80s night..until i went to one. girls dancing naked on the fucking ceiling. i like that shit a lot now.

im nota dj,but when i throw down some records somewhere, steve miller usually makes some sort of appearance. and led zeppelin got a million obvious joints.

people love shit that everyone knows. i feel that all people really want is to sing along to someshit together. that aint happeningwith your raer crusty nerdy flea market funk 45. sorry. play some madonna and let the fellas line up in the puccini

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    [/endofthread]

Haha! Whattup Tony!

I guess one of the key points here would be whether or not the music is being played "ironically" and, if so, whether you know the crowd enough to pull it off. Like, when the Yacht Rock series was all the rage,[/b] I'd spin mini-sets with Doobie Brothers, Journey + Van Halen and it was a hilarious backdrop to the drunken party rage (in between my soul, funk, 60s garage, post-punk, etc). But I couldn't get away with that in my town now necessarily ... the joke is over.[/b]

The yacht-rock thing is over ALREADY???

I have nothing against playing hits next to the funk/soul "raers," but the difference is, I'd KEEP IT IN THE GENRE...in other words, I'd play an obvious soul/funk cut that everybody knows rather than going to another genre altogether.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

yall are a bunch of fuckin herbs
    ive seen dudes who have been djing since before half the people on this board were born rock doubles of john cougar mellencamp, FOR A ROCK CROWD, and make everyone sit back, appreciate and drink more. (P--l K--------,wassapppenin?)

all depends how and wen you rock the shit. personally, i dont give a fuck what is being played (to an extent) if girls are getting live and open to some music, im with it. at my college, i used to frown on early 80s night..until i went to one. girls dancing naked on the fucking ceiling. i like that shit a lot now.

im nota dj,but when i throw down some records somewhere, steve miller usually makes some sort of appearance. and led zeppelin got a million obvious joints.

people love shit that everyone knows. i feel that all people really want is to sing along to someshit together. that aint happeningwith your raer crusty nerdy flea market funk 45. sorry. play some madonna and let the fellas line up in the puccini

I don't see why it has to be either/or for any genre. Don't play It Takes 2, play Found A Child and fuck with the "Beckys" heads. "Beckys" being the girls who get made fun of on here probably by the same guys who waste tons of cash on them.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    [/endofthread]

Haha! Whattup Tony!

wassapenin man?? you look diesel as shit in your avatar

spliff,found a child is a great song,but hardly an obvious rock hit, despite young mcs widespread appeal. how about joan jett? played out or party starter?