David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name?

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It's was filmed in 1970.

That's even better[/b].

Musically, definitely, but I mean in terms of how they were all relating to each other, and the massive amount of drugs they were doing, it was the end of CSNY, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective.

I do like the live CSNY recordings I've heard from late 1969 and early 1970, after Woodstock and leading up to the release of Deja Vu. Just great stuff.

In case any of you are going through this thread and wondering what the deal is, here is an MP3 from said album, one of my favorite songs from it:

I grew up listening to CSN(&Y), but got into all of their music myself in the last 15 years, and I can sense why my dad got into them, as well as my uncles. I can also hear the influence these guys had on a lot of Hawaiian rock groups in the 1970's.

My dad (r.i.p.) always wanted to get a boat for himself, but never did (he always wanted the boat that was on Loggins & Messina's Full Sail cover). I never understood why until I was on a boat a few years ago, and finally realized what he may have been feeling.

• It's was filmed in 1970.

That's even better[/b].

Musically, definitely, but I mean in terms of how they were all relating to each other, and the massive amount of drugs they were doing, it was the end of CSNY, which is either good or bad depending on your perspective.

I do like the live CSNY recordings I've heard from late 1969 and early 1970, after Woodstock and leading up to the release of Deja Vu. Just great stuff.

I know what you meant. I was referring to the huge amount of entertainment value in the side effects of the massive infusion of drugs, money and self-indulgence evident in the film (though the CSNY performances are smokin'). They do 'Sea of Madness', '4+20' and an amazing version of 'Down By The River'.

I know what you meant. I was referring to the huge amount of entertainment value in the side effects of the massive infusion of drugs, money and self-indulgence evident in the film (though the CSNY performances are smokin'). They do 'Sea of Madness', '4+20' and an amazing version of 'Down By The River'.

Very true. Despite all that bullshit that went on off the stage (and what bullshit it was), there was great music to come out of it. And without the split, there wouldn't be Crosby/Nash, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Manassas, Stills/Young Band, Young/Nash, blah blah blah. I can't speak for CPR, though.

Anyway, a good Stephen Stills photo, as part of the Stephen Stills Project

• I know what you meant. I was referring to the huge amount of entertainment value in the side effects of the massive infusion of drugs, money and self-indulgence evident in the film (though the CSNY performances are smokin'). They do 'Sea of Madness', '4+20' and an amazing version of 'Down By The River'.

Very true. Despite all that bullshit that went on off the stage (and what bullshit it was), there was great music to come out of it. And without the split, there wouldn't be Crosby/Nash, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Manassas, Stills/Young Band, Young/Nash, blah blah blah. I can't speak for CPR, though.

Anyway, a good Stephen Stills photo, as part of the Stephen Stills Project

"250lbs of cocaine!! All MINE!!!![/b]

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Loggins & Messina's Full Sail

Ironically, a MONSTER steppers cut here in Chicago.

"250lbs of cocaine!! All MINE!!!![/b]

LOL.. shit. Nah, helping out the kids for various schools over in Hanalei (for you non kama'aina, that's on the island of Kauai) to keep music programs there alive.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

post up side B, and you'd be hitting the mark even better.

8th time on repeat. then the food side B...

Really? What song?

Well sure, but if people are genuinely interested, this is a teaser for the rest of the album, don't want to give them too much.

Well sure, but if people are genuinely interested, this is a teaser for the rest of the album, don't want to give them too much.

ok, I'll post up side B...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I saw the film back in the day. All I remember is an outdoor jam session of Did You Ever Wake Up In The Morning With Bullfrogs On Your Mind. It did not have the effect on me that Montery Pop had.

I saw Crosby and Stills back about that time in a Byrds revival thing. There is a live lp from that tour. Stricktly a lets play our 50 minutes and get away from each other set. Roger McGuinn kept checking his watch.

I also saw Crosby/Nash about the same time. Great stuff if you like songs about whales. One step above Raffi if you ask me.

The lp has Taj Mahal rapping about a pimpmobile.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that CSN movie is the one where they play outdoors beside a swiming pool no??? i need to see that shit again...

never was a big fan of the Walrus of rock.. or CSN for that matter...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    theres this homeless dude that used to sleep in the boston commons that looks EXACTLY like david crosby. EXACTLY!!!

props to the cros for putting one in melissa ethridge or her mate or whatever, so they could raise some lesbian kids. Even though i think he just donated some shit and never got a chance to beat that pussy up.

ok, I'll post up side B...

actually. here's the whole things for you dudes who don't have $4 and a record store.

Hi res too. Get with it. I'm already onto the next...

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts

Snicker if you want, but this is truly one of the great unsung psych LPs that I've been championing for years. Listen to that "Laughing" sound clip. It's the Grateful Dead rhythm section, w/ Garcia on some seriously acidified steel guitar, and Joni M on backup vocals, and of course Crosby's expert harmonies (he was the "magic" midrange element in The Byrds' and CSN's vocals). And you can find this cheap anywhere. Get it, it's a great late nite, come-down listen.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Snicker if you want, but this is truly one of the great unsung psych LPs

you are entitled to your opinion, but..."psych?"

Really? What song?

"Pathway To Glory."

I'm sure somebody at CBS wonders, to this day, why this particular L&M album sells so much in Chicago.

Yup. Can you refute it?

Grateful Dead rhythm section

That's an oxymoron.

Racist

Yup. Can you refute it?

If it were left up to me, I'd just call it 1970's folkie singer-songwriter music.

Cause going by the sound samples on Amazon.com, this don't sound like no Thirteenth Floor Elevators to me!

Racist
    Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section

It ain't about color, it's about keeping the beat.

I saw the film back in the day. All I remember is an outdoor jam session of Did You Ever Wake Up In The Morning With Bullfrogs On Your Mind. It did not have the effect on me that Montery Pop had.

I feel the same. The problem was, at least MONTEREY POP had some diversity and WOODSTOCK had some riveting performances. As I recall, CELEBRATION AT BIG SUR was just one hippy-dippy folksinger after another. If CSN&Y are the hardest-rocking band on the bill, something's wrong. I remember one of the local TV stations here in Chicago used to show this movie periodically in the 70's. Probably the best musical performance was the uncredited hippie from the audience shots, playing a one-string guitar while doing a talking blues. You can see why punk had to happen after seeing this deadly flick.

BTW, I think the Big Sur show that Taj Mahal was at was a different concert (probably on that album BIG SUR FESTIVAL: ONE HAND CLAPPING).

• I saw the film back in the day. All I remember is an outdoor jam session of Did You Ever Wake Up In The Morning With Bullfrogs On Your Mind. It did not have the effect on me that Montery Pop had.

I feel the same. The problem was, at least MONTEREY POP had some diversity and WOODSTOCK had some riveting performances. As I recall, CELEBRATION AT BIG SUR was just one hippy-dippy folksinger after another. If CSN&Y are the hardest-rocking band on the bill, something's wrong. I remember one of the local TV stations here in Chicago used to show this movie periodically in the 70's. Probably the best musical performance was the uncredited hippie from the audience shots, playing a one-string guitar while doing a talking blues. You can see why punk had to happen after seeing this deadly flick.

BTW, I think the Big Sur show that Taj Mahal was at was a different concert (probably on that album BIG SUR FESTIVAL: ONE HAND CLAPPING).

The funny thing is, John Sebastian sings that Bullfrog Blues tune, but also takes the time to sing 'Rainbows All Over Your Blues', prefacing it with almost the exact same stoned-out speech he gave at Woodstock.

That said, the Joni Mitchell and CSNY performances are excellent.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    You must try some of my purple berries. I been eating them for 6 or 7 weeks now; haven't got sick once. Probably keep us both alive.

Ride the music, you guys.

The funny thing is, John Sebastian sings that Bullfrog Blues tune, but also takes the time to sing 'Rainbows All Over Your Blues', prefacing it with almost the exact same stoned-out speech he gave at Woodstock.

Is Dorothy Morrison (black gospel-soul singer) in the movie? She was at the festival...

• I saw the film back in the day. All I remember is an outdoor jam session of Did You Ever Wake Up In The Morning With Bullfrogs On Your Mind. It did not have the effect on me that Montery Pop had.

Is Dorothy Morrison (black gospel-soul singer) in the movie? She was at the festival...

Yeah. I think it's Dorothy Morrison and the Combs Sisters. You have to put up with Joan Baez to hear them though....(now requesting "douche chills" emoticon)

Really? What song?

"Pathway To Glory."

I'm sure somebody at CBS wonders, to this day, why this particular L&M album sells so much in Chicago.

That's my song right there, I didn't realize it had a stepping following. There's that funky groove in there, and then you have that guitar/fiddle battle going on. That song in particular has been a long time favorite. When I was a kid and drove around with my uncle, he had the 8-track, and the song faded in the middle of the fiddle solo or something, and I would think "NO, I LIKE THAT PART".

Anyway, that's easily one of my all time favorite L&M songs.