David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name?

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Loggins & Messina's Full Sail

Ironically, a MONSTER steppers cut here in Chicago.

Really? What song?

"Pathway To Glory."

I'm sure somebody at CBS wonders, to this day, why this particular L&M album sells so much in Chicago.

That's my song right there, I didn't realize it had a stepping following. There's that funky groove in there, and then you have that guitar/fiddle battle going on. That song in particular has been a long time favorite. When I was a kid and drove around with my uncle, he had the 8-track, and the song faded in the middle of the fiddle solo or something, and I would think "NO, I LIKE THAT PART".

...and it probably faded back up on the next program, right?

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    I'd like to see a remastered version, with various songs and jam sessions that didn't exist.

seconded. one of my top 10 all time favourite albums ever made. ever.
    there's a different version of song with no words (tree with no leaves) on the csny box set but i'd love to hear more.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ...and it probably faded back up on the next program, right?

Yes.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    you are entitled to your opinion, but..."psych?"

Yup. Can you refute it?

If it were left up to me, I'd just call it 1970's folkie singer-songwriter music.

Cause going by the sound samples on Amazon.com, this don't sound like no Thirteenth Floor Elevators to me!

Well, technically "psychedelic" = related to or invoking LSD, and a psych touch can be added to pretty much any kind of music. I even lump in music that sounds "stoned," like it was recorded in a haze of Humboldt bud. And there's no way you can say Crosby's "Laughing" or "Traction in the Rain" aren't psychedelic or stoned. Maybe they aren't up there with peak Gong or Agitation Free but they be psych.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

You all were big upping this so much I went out and bought it. $3.60.

I liked the part with the harp, and the wordless vocals on the end. A very pleasant listen. I think I will stick to Judy Collins Who Knows Where The Time Goes. I like that one better. I posted the Pretty Polly clip last week, and there is a shorter clip on my New Arrivals page.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to listen to my Armando Trovajoli soundtrack now.

Dan

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

You all were big upping this so much I went out and bought it. $3.60.

I liked the part with the harp, and the wordless vocals on the end. A very pleasant listen. I think I will stick to Judy Collins Who Knows Where The Time Goes. I like that one better. I posted the Pretty Polly clip last week, and there is a shorter clip on my New Arrivals page.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to listen to my Armando Trovajoli soundtrack now.

Dan

Funny thread resurrection. Now listen to side B 6 times in a row.
    You will then fully recognize the truth.

I wish he did the album in quad.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

To much work for truth, I'll take your word for it.

The Yesterday, Today And Tomorrow was very nice. Mod organ, electric guitar playing just outside the key, lush strings very Italian.

More interesting than truth.

Dan

I just found out that a 5.1 surround sound mix of If I Could Only Remember my Name[/b] has been made by and approved for release by Graham Nash. No word on a release date, though.

There is no excuse not to own this album. That means you too, James (yeah it was in the new arrivals bin at Hyde Park the day we met up).

Can't wait to hear the CD issue with the 15 million bonus tracks and alternate takes.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    The Cros just called and he's almost done hemming my pants. In the meantime, jamming the Bob Mosley solo LP and digging the breeze with neat Jameson.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i'm listening and traction in the rain is the best track

An article that may be of interest, on the recording of "Laughing". From Mix magazine:
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_david_crosbys_laughing/

this thread will never die as rust never sleeps.

who's listening to Neil Young right now?

this thread will never die as rust never sleeps.

Great album

who's listening to Neil Young right now?

The year Greendale came out, I was on a major Neil Young kick. Don't get me started on that one. The DVD-A of Harvest is great, and there's a short film on it of Young listening to one of the songs he just finished on his farm, Coors in hand.

That's classic right there.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Still a timeless record and always a "go to" when I want to sit back and chill.