Who Talks to their Ex? (NRR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I broke up with my gf of 4 years, and it's been 7 months. I occassionally send her an email saying watup cuz i get lonely sometimes. Who talks to their ex? and for what reasons?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My last ex I email on occasion. My first ex tried to get in contact with me about a year ago through Myspace but I wasn't interested. In most cases no, I don't stay in contact.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I dont normally talk to any of my ex'es
    but when i do run into them it becomes "we gotta keep in touch more, yadda yadda" but it never happens. I really dont have any interest in talking to any of them I think each break up has been because I realize they are not a very good person so i dont have time/energy to holler at em.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I broke up with my gf of 4 years, and it's been 7 months. I occassionally send her an email saying watup cuz i get lonely sometimes.

Who talks to their ex? and for what reasons?

I've been friends with most of my exes - one of them has even come on vacation with me and my family.

I never found it that weird or awkward with the exception of my last ex who basically ended up declaring me persona non grata (this after 4 years together) and as a result, we never talk even though we have some close, mutual friends.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Odub, what is persona non grata?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I broke up with my gf of 4 years, and it's been 7 months. I occassionally send her an email saying watup cuz i get lonely sometimes.

Who talks to their ex? and for what reasons?

a big nono. unless you both decided to part ways. even then, i limit the contact to the unavoidable occasions. move on, ex girl to next girl...[insertmikeskinner]"...there's plenty more fish in the sea"...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I keep in touch with a few of my exes where it was just apparent that although we got on well it wasn't meant to be. With the more long term relationships where it ended in a less than pleasant way I always found it best for my personal sanity to not keep any kind of contact - there was always way too much water under the bridge to ever go back to just being friends (not to mention the whole drama of one partner still being interested in restarting the relationship).

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I still talk to my most recent ex, and she's the only one I still keep in touch with. A major part of why I still talk to her is that we didn't break up over anything negative--we only broke up because she moved away. So she's not my girlfriend anymore, but she's still one of my best friends. Plus, she used to be a studio engineer, so I constantly bug her with my questions about production/engineering.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    take this shit to Redbook.com!!

Odub, what is persona non grata?

Basically:

"you're dead to me"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I talk to the X-wife on the regular. Its all Kool & the Gang.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i used to talk to my ex

i started seeing someone else

i didnt call her anymore

nor did i talk to her online

so one day she calls me and hangs up

so i call back to see what the deal was

and some dude answers and says "stop calling here!!!!"

some people are insane

cuz i get lonely sometimes.

Boo Fuckin Hoo

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Talking to your ex is a waste of time, unless you have a kid together just cut the ties & move on. Obviously they don't want you or you don't want them so just leave it at that, easy for everyone.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Hell no!
    (talking to ex's, that is)

Talking to your ex is a waste of time, unless you have a kid together just cut the ties & move on. Obviously they don't want you or you don't want them so just leave it at that, easy for everyone.

If you were always friends why should that be negated once the romance/relationship breaks down. If it didnt end on a sour note or some ole grimy shit, I have no problem simply talking to that person. Do U,I do me. Some cats(for good reason) like to erase people. What ever soothes your ego.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Now how should one feel if for instance, the person you are dating talks to their ex all the time.
    I mean, it makes sense to me that they were once friends and were close, but it still made me a little nervous.

I once was engaged to a guy like that. When I broke off the engagement he started dating the ex again. Then broke up with her, and called/emailed me.

Loser.

Anyone else dealt with that?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

If you were always friends why should that be negated once the romance/relationship breaks down. If it didnt end on a sour note or some ole grimy shit, I have no problem simply talking to that person. Do U,I do me. Some cats(for good reason) like to erase people. What ever soothes your ego.

Agreed--sometimes it takes awhile to get to a place where you can be friends, but if you felt strongly enough about this person to share your life with them for a period, why wouldn't you want to give being friends a try?

Agreed--sometimes it takes awhile to get to a place where you can be friends, but if you felt strongly enough about this person to share your life with them for a period, why wouldn't you want to give being friends a try?

Word.

The best are people you went out with a while back - it's always good to have some connections with people who knew you when you were younger. I had a bad break-up with my first girlfriend (who I went out with 13 years back) and for a while, we just weren't on great terms. But nowadays, we get along fairly well and it's just kind of cool to still have a connection with her even though we're both very different people now.

Bang! I always thought the friendship was/is the basis.
    Now there can be cats who violated that bond, and u measure/handle them accordingly.

Shiiiiiiiiit. I went to my college girlfriend's wedding. Her Parents still call me Batmon, and her husband is mad cool. Hate expends to much energy.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hate expends to much energy.

So true. Real talk Batmon.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Hate requires energy, sure, but indifference is pure easy. I find it's often much easier to let relationships with old flames slide than it is to maintain them. Then again, don't listen to me, I'm married to my records.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I have to talk to my ex, as we bought a flat (that my wife and I now live in together) a few years back and are sorting out the legal stuff.

She's cool though and we get on, so it's not a problem at the moment.

Had some crazy stalker-stype ish with one ex though that was horrendous. I scared her off when I said I'd circulate the videos I have of her if she didn't leave me alone.
    Harsh, but fair.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    if you felt strongly enough about this person to share your life with them for a period, why wouldn't you want to give being friends a try?

My early relationships were more chaotic, but my recent exes I'm cool with. One of them is one of my closest friends, and her guy is a good friend too. If something goes from friendship to relationship and doesn't work out, I'd rather let it go back to friendship. No need to cross the street when you see each other.

My ex right now is like that bangin' record I copped at the beginning of my digging career. I don't take it out that often anymore because it reminds me of what I can't find in the field.

My ex right now is like that bangin' record I copped at the beginning of my digging career. I don't take it out that often anymore because it reminds me of what I can't find in the field.

Comparing women and records =

Sayin' man.

Sayin' man.

You remind me of something
    I just can't think of what it is

[1] - You remind me of my jeep, I wanna ride it
    Something like my sound, I wanna pump it
    Girl you look just like my cars, I wanna wax it
    And something like my bank account
    I wanna spend it, baby[/b]

Sayin' man.

yea I know, my bad. I was getting carried away with my record-related punchlines...
    See "yo mama" thread.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I just got separated after a 16-year relationship, 11 years of which were spent married. We haven't seen each other at all since I moved out in the beginning of December, though we've kept in touch. The split has been amicable but understandably she's taken things really hard. Still, we know that we'll run into each other eventually (my boss is one of her long-time friends) and it won't be good if we haven't gotten over the hump of being in the same place beforehand. So I'm going over to her place for dinner this Thursday so we can test the waters.

As Batmon, faux & Odub said, even though we're not in a relationship we both still want to remain friends, and I really hope we can make that happen. She's a great person and I'm still down for her no matter what.

Wish me the best, everyone.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Now how should one feel if for instance, the person you are dating talks to their ex all the time.
    This really irked me about my current relationship for the longest time, they have a kid together, so it's understandable I guess. I found it really tricky though because I'm definitely a "burn all bridges" kinda guy & have a tough time seeing it any other way.