brasialian DRUM BREAKS

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    you needs to hear the Kool & The Gang and Kool Is Back tunes. And then tell me which Brazilian records are twice as funky. I'd be thankful.

I'd be thankful too...because if this is the best in Brazilian funk there is, it doesn't set a very high bar to pass:

Once again, to be clear: I like the Manito LP. I think, as far as a mesh b/t American soul tunes and a Brazilian musical approach, it's pretty cool. But I don't think when I hear it. Like I said, I'm no expert in Brazilian joints but I just imagine there's got to be some crazy-ass-samba LPs that have songs that would torch this in a flat second.

As for the Invaders LP - I don't think people would suggest that as a BREAKS record. Caribbean funk? Sure...but it's not like the illest Island funk LP for drums ever recorded.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

DJ Nuts from Brazil has some very b-boy friendly break-heavy mixes of all Brazillian stuff as well.

I've heard that WaxPo mix that came out and really enjoyed it. What else has he put out?

I know he has other tapes, but I have no clue where to get a hold of copies. That mix was available here really on a fluke after all the Keepintime DJs were blown away with what he was doing. He is also the turntablist champ of Brazil, to me he's on that J Rocc level of selection and skills. Definately a guy I'd like to meet next year when I go to Brazil.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I have a dope ass break by Wilson Simonal , it's on a 7" EP i have with Brasil En Fico on the same record.

One of my absolute favorite brazilian breaks that I have heard is by Dom Salvador , Dj Spinna keeps doubling it on brazilian funk mode...hot shit.. also the cover of Na Na Na hey hey on that same mix has some nice open drums too.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Unaio Black record. Couple big uptempo breaks, and as far as I'm concerned that's the best Brazilian funk record overall.

There's a good slower break on the first Copa 7 joint. Ditto the 1976 Tim Maia LP. Ditto the 1972 Tom Ze.

A cheap pickup is Hyldon's "Guitarras, Violinos e Instrumentos de Samba", which is also a great listen.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

DJ Nuts from Brazil has some very b-boy friendly break-heavy mixes of all Brazillian stuff as well.

I've heard that WaxPo mix that came out and really enjoyed it. What else has he put out?

I know he has other tapes, but I have no clue where to get a hold of copies. That mix was available here really on a fluke after all the Keepintime DJs were blown away with what he was doing. He is also the turntablist champ of Brazil, to me he's on that J Rocc level of selection and skills. Definately a guy I'd like to meet next year when I go to Brazil.

Yeah, I've been looking for his stuff as well. Found a podcast from giantstep (part of Giles Petersons podcast) but I'd really like to find that waxpo/cohella mix or something like that. Any one have any ideas?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

One of my absolute favorite brazilian breaks that I have heard is by Dom Salvador

Plaese to PM

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts
    http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=sxq7nhvnfh

THe ULTIMATE BRAZILIAN BREAKS AND BEATS lp is what chu want....

All the bases covered!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Toni Tornado - Podes Crer Amizade

Wish it was in better shape... but you get the idea.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Toni Tornado - Podes Crer Amizade

That's also sampled on the Zegon. I feel vindicated.

I'll up the tempo

• Toni Tornado - Podes Crer Amizade

ferrari, yep i have this record thanks to grope in germany. also super thanks to everybody who replied in the thread. and yes i am primarily looking for breaks to use in productions so sound quality is
    thanks for whoever mentioned superfly records its a great resource. peace, stein. . .

• Punzenlecker

Hmmmm, you're Dutch. You should know that Punzenlecker is no insult.

Anyone looking for Brazilian Funk breaks should buy the Uniao Black LP. Breaks all over the place (true Funk breaks). Now that band is funky!!!

Do you know other great mixtapes? DJs are gods. Mixtapes are Jesus. But it's only coolness, if the DJs add a bible to the package. Yay for track lists!

Gerson King? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Well, it's kinda funny afterall.

• Toni Tornado - Podes Crer Amizade

That's also sampled on the Zegon. I feel vindicated.

I'll up the tempo

I mean seriously, do you listen to that kind of crap at home? Is that on a mixtape? Did you pay for it?

• you needs to hear the Kool & The Gang and Kool Is Back tunes. And then tell me which Brazilian records are twice as funky. I'd be thankful.

I'd be thankful too...because if this is the best in Brazilian funk there is, it doesn't set a very high bar to pass:

Once again, to be clear: I like the Manito LP. I think, as far as a mesh b/t American soul tunes and a Brazilian musical approach, it's pretty cool. But I don't think when I hear it. Like I said, I'm no expert in Brazilian joints but I just imagine there's got to be some crazy-ass-samba LPs that have songs that would torch this in a flat second.

How much did you pay for the Manito LP then? 100 USD? 200 USD? 300?
    Crazy ass samba? With breaks? Do you even know what Samba is? Funk songs on Samba record would be a big exception. Listen to the Boogaloo Combo LP with the Hot Pants track. It's a horrible record!

There are not too many Brazilian Funk records. Trust me! Manito is one of the only ones with American Soul tunes on it. I don't even think Brazilians cared too much about American Soul anyway. What for?

Now I called Manito one of the best Funk records from Brazil. And I'll stick by it. Now you could ask me about Brazilian Bossa and Samba with breaks, but that a completely different thing. Which doesn't have anything to do with Funk. And please trust me... some of those overhyped Brazilian records are just about one song.

One of my favorite Brazilian records:
    Trio Mocoto - Muita Zorra!
    (but don't expect the funky br??ques)

maybe this is on one of your mixtapes BigSpliff.

• I'm on a mission here... and the only one still posting in the thread ;-)

If you don't think "funk" and "samba" have anything in common I'm rather suspect of your taste in "funk."

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If you don't think "funk" and "samba" have anything in common I'm rather suspect of your taste in "funk."

• If you don't think "funk" and "samba" have anything in common I'm rather suspect of your taste in "funk."

i can't stand funk. it's boring.

and samba does not have that much to do with funk. rock and funk are closer together. and bossa nova and samba...

i can't stand funk. it's boring.

and samba does not have that much to do with funk. rock and funk are closer together. and bossa nova and samba...

You sound.... Why did the hell you waste all that money buying tepid K&TG covers? Paypal me $30 and I'll send you all the better versions.

Doin the Soul Conga baby.

and samba does not have that much to do with funk.

Gee, and here I thought, you know, the foundation of Africanized rhythm might apply to both. Guess not!

and samba does not have that much to do with funk.

Gee, and here I thought, you know, the foundation of Africanized rhythm might apply to both. Guess not!

See also: every music genre from Latin America & the Caribbean except Mariachi and Andean Panpipes! Neither of which have breaks.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Now I called Manito one of the best Funk records from Brazil. And I'll stick by it. Now you could ask me about Brazilian Bossa and Samba with breaks, but that a completely different thing.

This thread is absurd.

That said, the title is Brasillian Drum Breaks. I don't think Stein is trying to break it down by genre.

• Now I called Manito one of the best Funk records from Brazil. And I'll stick by it. Now you could ask me about Brazilian Bossa and Samba with breaks, but that a completely different thing.

This thread is absurd.

That said, the title is Brasillian Drum Breaks. I don't think Stein is trying to break it down by genre.

read it again and you'll see why i said that. i was trying to clearify, why someone would like the manito lp. i wasn't even talking about me first place...

• and samba does not have that much to do with funk.

haha. so every rhythm in the world is based on african music then, right? and maybe classical music is directly related to house. who knows?!

but hey, genetically, african music would be the ancestor of samba AND funk. you're absolutely right. nothing wron about that. but they still sound very different to me.

azimuth - s/t

no breaks , but since we are not talking about drum breaks anymore, i raise this to your Manito record and watch it crumble like soft gingerbread. this LP is full of funk too...so that isn't a question.

• azimuth - s/t

no breaks , but since we are not talking about drum breaks anymore, i raise this to your Manito record and watch it crumble like soft gingerbread. this LP is full of funk too...so that isn't a question.

i love azimuth. why are you still talking about manito? i never said that it's my favorite brazilian record. jesus!

i'd prefer azimuth to manito anytime.

but i guess most people here know azimuth already. maybe someone should close this case and post a list of every single brazilian drum break there is.

but i guess most people here know azimuth already. maybe someone should close this case and post a list of every single brazilian drum break there is.

please do.. do you have the Fein drumbreak?

Azimuth and Arthur Verocai are definitely two of my top artists from Brazil .. although one could make a long list of amazing musicians/groups from that country .. Jorge Ben and Joao Bosco come to mind as well

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    since we are not talking about drum breaks anymore

Here's a few funky ones I happen to have on my computer at the moment.

Marissa Fossa - Wando Vidal

Novos Bahianos - Colegio de Aplicacao

Trio Mocoto - Nago

• please do.. do you have the Fein drumbreak?

haha. very funny. but i was trying to make a joke too.

Azimuth and Arthur Verocai are definitely two of my top artists from Brazil .. although one could make a long list of amazing musicians/groups from that country .. Jorge Ben and Joao Bosco come to mind as well

yes. i agree.