brasialian DRUM BREAKS

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i admit brasilian stuff is something i've avoided due to too many horror stories with record conditions etc. so the only stuff i have is american bossa records. is there any native brasil records that have drum breaks? i've heard a few on brasilian dj mix cd's but no track listing. please tell. thanks. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    "hot pants road" by boogaloo combo- is one of the best brazilian drum breaks i can think of. hope it helps!

• okay. i know that record. i'll have to get it. thnaks dude. peace, stein. . .

• did you keep the toni tornado EP i gave you in germany? i think it's one of the best brazilian records. his lps on odeon are cool too. the first one has some of the titles from the EP.

one of the best brazilian funk records has great drum breaks. Manito - Il Incrivel on RCA. I sold my copy to a Funk collector. He said its one of his top five. He put it on his wall, next to Roy Porter and the Invaders ;-)

And there's the Waltel Branco one. Which has a great drum break. One of my favorites.

There's supposed to be a nice Brazilian GOOMLW cover. By the Cry-Babies? I forgot. Can't remember right now.

But I still like the Toni Tornado - Black Brasil EP best.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DJ Ferrari from these boards is your dude for Brazillian breaks. Dude has the heat from down there, and can point you in the right direction way better than I can.

DJ Nuts from Brazil has some very b-boy friendly break-heavy mixes of all Brazillian stuff as well.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    Carlos Dafe "Pra Que Vou Recordar" has a really cool soul song with a crispy break intro.

• rorororo 22 Posts
    check your PM youngeinstein.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There are tonnes! Another obvious is the Cesar Mariano LP "Sau Paulo Brasil".

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    didn't the dusty finger crew just release a few brazil breaks comps?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    one of the best brazilian funk records has great drum breaks. Manito - Il Incrivel on RCA. I sold my copy to a Funk collector. He said its one of his top five. He put it on his wall, next to Roy Porter and the Invaders ;-)

As someone who owns the Manito LP, I personally wouldn't cosign on this. The Manito album is cool insofar as it has a bunch of covers of American funk/soul songs of the era and yes, it does have drum breaks but the breaks are not that remarkable, especially since most are recorded kind of lo-fi.

In my mind, there's much, much, much better stuff out there; I've heard stuff on mix-CDs (but alas, with no titles) that blows Manito far out the water.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    there are shit tons as Danno said.....go to superflyrecords.com, there are soundsamples for every record for sale and if the record has a mentionable braek, they usually put that in the sound sample. The records are priced at a premium, but the grading is really really conservative (I would buy a VG- record form these dudes without even thinking because their VG- is really a strong VG). One of my favorite online retailers.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    there are shit tons as Danno said.....go to superflyrecords.com, there are soundsamples for every record for sale and if the record has a mentionable braek, they usually put that in the sound sample. The records are priced at a premium, but the grading is really really conservative (I would buy a VG- record form these dudes without even thinking because their VG- is really a strong VG). One of my favorite online retailers.

Cosign. Their last update was truly

• one of the best brazilian funk records has great drum breaks. Manito - Il Incrivel on RCA. I sold my copy to a Funk collector. He said its one of his top five. He put it on his wall, next to Roy Porter and the Invaders ;-)

As someone who owns the Manito LP, I personally wouldn't cosign on this. The Manito album is cool insofar as it has a bunch of covers of American funk/soul songs of the era and yes, it does have drum breaks but the breaks are not that remarkable, especially since most are recorded kind of lo-fi.

In my mind, there's much, much, much better stuff out there; I've heard stuff on mix-CDs (but alas, with no titles) that blows Manito far out the water.

blablabla.

son, you don't even know those titles. so the manito lp isn't good enough with the lame kool & the gang covers? i don't know... but some of you are internet and mixtape spoiled. but i guess that the blingbling mp3 2007 style. name those other records and come back to talk at me.

this place is getting rediculous.

the drum breaks on the manito lp are lo-fi? who cares? i was saying: one of the best funk records from brazil even has drum breaks.

the songs you heard in those mixes are probably from records that are like the boogaloo combo lp. totally overrated brazilian records with one funky song on them.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

blablabla.

son, you don't even know those titles. so the manito lp isn't good enough with the lame kool & the gang covers? i don't know... but some of you are internet and mixtape spoiled. but i guess that the blingbling mp3 2007 style. name those other records and come back to talk at me.

the drum breaks on the manito lp are lo-fi? who cares? i was saying: one of the best funk records from brazil even has drum breaks.

the songs you heard in those mixes are probably from records that are like the boogaloo combo lp. totally overrated brazilian records with one funky song on them.

You really need to slow your roll, "son."

Ol*ver just said he didn't think it lived up to the
    hype, and gave decent reasons - you coming at him sideways
    like that is definitely NAGL. Fall back, lest ye be felled.

• one of the best brazilian funk records has great drum breaks. Manito - Il Incrivel on RCA. I sold my copy to a Funk collector. He said its one of his top five. He put it on his wall, next to Roy Porter and the Invaders ;-)

blablabla.

You really need to slow your roll, "son."

Ol*ver just said he didn't think it lived up to the
    hype, and gave decent reasons - you coming at him sideways
    like that is definitely NAGL. Fall back, lest ye be felled.

this place needs beef. whoever calls manito a turd is on my red list. comprende?

*laugh* You need to chill and re-read what I said instead of getting all asshurt.

My point wasn't that the Manito album was wack. If you're looking for a Brazilian album with BREAKBEATS, it's not the best for drums. Shit is lo-fi...the drums don't knock. Knowing Einstein's taste in drum records, I just don't think he's going to get all excited over Manito's version of "Tuck's Theme" even though, yeah, it's got a drumbreak.

Before Einstein rushes out to spend $100-200 on Manito, I think it behooves him (or anyone else) to know what they're getting themselves in for.

This all said, if Manito is considered one of the best Brazilian funk albums out there, then I'd be concerned about the general quality of Brazilian funk. Give me a good Jorge Ben, Caetano Veloso, or Milton Nascimento LP anytime over that LP, breaks or no breaks.

blablabla.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

this place needs beef. whoever calls manito a turd is on my red list. comprende?

Grope..?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Btw,

The idea that Manito is on the same level of The Invaders or Roy Porter is wild. I LIKE the Manito album, I really do. But Top 5? To each their own...clearly.

What's intersting is this is from the mid-80 '80s, right?

i admit brasilian stuff is something i've avoided due to too many horror stories with record conditions etc. so the only stuff i have is american bossa records. is there any native brasil records that have drum breaks? i've heard a few on brasilian dj mix cd's but no track listing. please tell. thanks. peace, stein. . .

Stein,

BTW, if you haven't already checked this out, it's a decent starter comp.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rio-Brazil-Power-1971-1980/dp/B00005Y2K7

I think Mr. Bongo in the UK has a bunch of Brazilian beat comps too though I haven't heard most of them so I can't cosign on quality.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

What's intersting is this is from the mid-80 '80s, right?
    Yeah-- 1989

Knowing Einstein's taste in drum records, I just don't think he's going to get all excited over Manito's version of "Tuck's Theme" even though, yeah, it's got a drumbreak.

I realized, if Ein wants to peep the flavor directly to judge for himself:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I have Lionel Hampton records that are funkier than this.

I have Lionel Hampton records that are funkier than this.

Are you daring to risk the wrath of HonkyFipple?

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I made the mistake of playing that O Incrivel album out one time(dope tunes,bad choice).Sure, that record is nice.But I agree with O####r, Those drums are mad low and just the overral pressing of that lp is ehhh.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts

DJ Nuts from Brazil has some very b-boy friendly break-heavy mixes of all Brazillian stuff as well.

I've heard that WaxPo mix that came out and really enjoyed it. What else has he put out?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    DJ Zegon Brazillian Export Breaks - I got this from Labcabin about 5 years ago and it's still pretty useful. Not a drum break record, Stein, but samples good shit like Gerson King Combo and other stuff I don't know. Plus has bootay on the cover

PS: did Tee-Tee-Ell pay to have that switched to Labcabin? Or am I not getting the joke?

• I have Lionel Hampton records that are funkier than this.

yeah, but you needs to hear the Kool & The Gang and Kool Is Back tunes. And then tell me which Brazilian records are twice as funky. I'd be thankful.

Toni Tornado is the best.

But yo, anyone complaining about the lo-fi drums on the Manito LP should listen to the Invaders LP again. I like the Invaders LP, but the sound is horrible. Absolutely UNTER sounding. Or better yet DRUNTER sounding. The opposite of ??ber.

Manito is cool. What are you talking about? Two super nice funk tunes, plus drum braeques, plus a nice cover, plus rare grooveness, plus hype, plus rarity, plus obscurity...

But yeah, you're right. I'd rather listen to Gal Costa than Manito. And I'd rather listen to Jimi Hendrix than Boscoe or East of Underground. Heck, actually, I'd sell all of my Funk records right now, but I spent too much on them.

• DJ Zegon Brazillian Export Breaks - I got this from Labcabin about 5 years ago and it's still pretty useful. Not a drum break record, Stein, but samples good shit like Gerson King Combo and other stuff I don't know. Plus has bootay on the cover

PS: did Tee-Tee-Ell pay to have that switched to Labcabin? Or am I not getting the joke?

Please be serious. Gerson King Combo isn't even funny.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    DJ Zegon Brazillian Export Breaks - I got this from Labcabin about 5 years ago and it's still pretty useful. Not a drum break record, Stein, but samples good shit like Gerson King Combo and other stuff I don't know. Plus has bootay on the cover

Please be serious. Gerson King Combo isn't even funny.

Yawn. Another lil yapper with tepid breaks.

Punzenlecker