RECORD SHOW PHILLY TOMORROW (SUNDAY MAR 4TH)

2»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

But I am curious to know why Steve missed a show where he could set up for free...

making money
    vs
    high profile for a low profile guy
    b/w
    possible ass whooping
    (energy chi fist thru wall like a butterfly wing hara krishna moves)

was triplephillyhobodouble at the sunday show ?

Why do I envision Steve on an episode of "The Wire"?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Record stores are the same everywhere.....

If they suck it means one of two things...

1) They won't be in business much longer

or

2) Those energetic under 30 diggers are beating you to the good stuff by hitting them up on the regular, probably like you used to do before you got old

Best regards,

Gramps

• But I am curious to know why Steve missed a show where he could set up for free...

making money
    vs
    high profile for a low profile guy
    b/w
    possible ass whooping
    (energy chi fist thru wall like a butterfly wing hara krishna moves)

Yep, he was there. (Did you know he's my neighbor now? Bought a house five doors down... )

I'm sure you're right about Steve... way too high-profile, especially given that his wanted poster is hanging in a couple shops around town. Ninety-one warrants!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Rick I would not say that Beautiful World sucks. It is not a place where you will pull $100 records for $5, at least not unless you are diligent or lucky. But I think it's a great shop because I find stuff there, and even the stuff I don't buy is like, this is great stuff for affordable prices. They have a ton of records and barely anything is more than $10-15.

As for the shows I don't understand where your disgruntledment comes from. Sure, there are dudes at shows with ridiculous prices... but there were also plenty of dudes with cheap heat, at least at this one. I am at lots of shows around your area and I always find stuff. I haven't seen you at any of them!

The bottom line is that there is nowhere in the east coast right now where you can just stroll in, casually pluck a rarity from the bin, and pay $10-20 for it. If it's not me it's another dealer, and if it's not them it's the Young Timmys. Either you do the work to find the stash or you pay top dollar to get it over Yoshi and Rolf and Jacques and shit. That is the reality in this day and age.

A lot of dudes complain about the game but the best records I found all weekend were the Willie Tee LP on Capitol and the Blair "Nightlife" LP, both were sitting in new arrivals bins in well-known shops. Anyone could have bought that shit, had they been looking.

There seems to be a lot of saltiness or disillusionment with dudes my age (~30) who used to spend a lot more time digging because they didn't have to spend their time working, raising a family, or doing, you know, WAY MORE IMPORTANT shit. Why would anyone be pissed that they can't find Jointz For Cheap when they would rather be spending time with their kids?

• Rick I would not say that Beautiful World sucks. It is not a place where you will pull $100 records for $5, at least not unless you are diligent or lucky. But I think it's a great shop because I find stuff there, and even the stuff I don't buy is like, this is great stuff for affordable prices. They have a ton of records and barely anything is more than $10-15.

As for the shows I don't understand where your disgruntledment comes from. Sure, there are dudes at shows with ridiculous prices... but there were also plenty of dudes with cheap heat, at least at this one. I am at lots of shows around your area and I always find stuff. I haven't seen you at any of them!

The bottom line is that there is nowhere in the east coast right now where you can just stroll in, casually pluck a rarity from the bin, and pay $10-20 for it. If it's not me it's another dealer, and if it's not them it's the Young Timmys. Either you do the work to find the stash or you pay top dollar to get it over Yoshi and Rolf and Jacques and shit. That is the reality in this day and age.

A lot of dudes complain about the game but the best records I found all weekend were the Willie Tee LP on Capitol and the Blair "Nightlife" LP, both were sitting in new arrivals bins in well-known shops. Anyone could have bought that shit, had they been looking.

There seems to be a lot of saltiness or disillusionment with dudes my age (~30) who used to spend a lot more time digging because they didn't have to spend their time working, raising a family, or doing, you know, WAY MORE IMPORTANT shit. Why would anyone be pissed that they can't find Jointz For Cheap when they would rather be spending time with their kids?

There was a thread on Waxidermy in which several guys posted that record fairs are too expensive, everything priced off popsike, top ebay prices, etc. But I agree with what Jonny says above. I find good, underpriced stuff at Lancaster month after month. I found great stuff cheap at FMU. It's just not true that fairs are a popsike wasteland.

As for BWS -we have many customers who hit the shop two or three times weekly. They're getting the best stuff, just like Rock says above.

Rick I would not say that Beautiful World sucks. It is not a place where you will pull $100 records for $5, at least not unless you are diligent or lucky. But I think it's a great shop because I find stuff there, and even the stuff I don't buy is like, this is great stuff for affordable prices. They have a ton of records and barely anything is more than $10-15.

yo man.... As you know this is a re-occuring rant that pops up when I am running on zero sleep with the newborns. There are loop holes to my arguments for sure. I am a firm believer that if you are persistent, good records will fall on your lap for cheap no matter what the circumstances are. That is what digging is all about... The dollarbin miracle adrenaline rush. Has shit changed in the past 2-3 years? Yes... drastically. All the record shops that I frequent are now addicted to Popsike and paranoid to let records go that are beyond popsike. Is it hard to see shops where I got heat for $3 - $5 suddenly discover Popsike and start putting shit up on the Internet or offer me eBay prices??? Absolutely. Not worth the gas $$$ any more. They have lost my business. Then again... if they had dope shit for cheap... sycophants like myself would bleed the good shit dry and it would be a graveyard of Freestyle 12"s. My BWS comment was indeed a random insult and not well researched. I bought records from them in the beginning at record shows and shit was hot flames for cheeep. Finally trekked down to their store a year later after a person on here ranted and raved of a huge jazz collection score and it was a massive disappointment. 3 hours in a car dodging Philly traffic and wasted afternoon later... I scratched that store off the list of places to check. The local guys are probably doing very well. So.. don't listen to me. You will see me out there again buying records and having fun when I am through all this newborn shit.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

coffinhead,
    i was expecting you brova,but jp let me know you werent gonna make it. still owe you for eek and jp was wondering if he could sort you out for the 45 (since i poached a copy shortly after).

missed you buddy. there was all kinds of green at the show!!!

first off, to those who dont know me, i'm not the same Tony selling the Honey and the Bees LP.

Rick, why would you expect record stores to stay on some mom and pop "all those records are two dollars" shit so people who often dont even listen to the music just buy stuff up and put it on ebay? the worst kind of store is one that closes IMO. for places to stay open, for a while they had to sell CDs, now they might have to get hipper to their stock and what they can get for it.
    Its real hard not to check in on popsike....youre telling me you dont?
    You (and others) have sold lots of records. Have you ever set up at a show? Have you ever sold a significant ammount of things outside of ebay? or been nervous about letting go of some weird record that you didnt know how to price?

its one thing when music collectors complain about the rising cost of vinyl at stores and shows. but these days, boundaries between "collector" and "internet entrepreuneur" are very nebulous. So should a store's function be to provide fastcash for people with record market knowledge? or should they ensure that their nicer titles stay around for someone who wants to take it home and listen to it...while ensuring that they get money that will keep their business going?

i collect shit, i sell shit, at times i'll practically give stuff away, other times i'll try to get top dollar. but i cant knock a store for knowing what they got and being smart about their business. i'll buy something to flip if its way cheap, but i'll also gladly pay heavy for something ive been looking for.

YALL BABIES HAVE BEEN SPOILED TOO LONG!!!!!!!
    I'D MUCH RATHER SEE MORE RECORD STORES IN THE WORLD THAN MORE SQUIRRELY ASS INTERNET DEALERS (cough cough)

BWS has definitely gotten more expensive and harder to find stuff in. but they still consistently get loads of records which they price fairly. i wish they didnt look on popsike all the time, but would i if i was in their shoes? yes.
    they are not there to support your internet business...they are there to sell records.

and props to MonsterMolasses for selling nice records off line and being my neighbor.

my show finds:
    boogie boys rappin aint no thing
    marley marl scratch
    octopus breaks w/shackin up and substitution
    daily operation og
    stillness
    that camera record with the "music to take a trip by"
    shirley horn on perception
    finsta bundy dont stress tomorrow
    and some random rap records.

biggest disapointment was my friend buying a record that another friend told me he'd hold for me...that id been asking him about for a month. world keeps turning though.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I'd definitely like to see more stores in the mold of Long in the Tooth - places that use gemm/popsike/ebay to gauge prices, but then usually sell them in store[/b] for roughly half of that, and will now and then refuse to sell records to people who were vocal about just reselling it online. For the people and whatnot.

• DC too was a lot of fun. I don't know how it would've been for getting top dollar though. Maybe you didn't miss much Phill.

Here's a couple of photo's that were taken at the DC show. See if you can tell who's who (lots of strutters alert):

UMD record show

recordshow2

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I like that dude's attitude. I enjoy talking to him when i'm in there.

I've pulled some good stuff out there in my 3 or 4 trips, jazz, Art Ensemble, etc.

Anyone know if Rustic is still around? I was only in once, caught some stuff, but haven't been back.

first off, to those who dont know me, i'm not the same Tony selling the Honey and the Bees LP.

Rick, why would you expect record stores to stay on some mom and pop "all those records are two dollars" shit so people who often dont even listen to the music just buy stuff up and put it on ebay? the worst kind of store is one that closes IMO. for places to stay open, for a while they had to sell CDs, now they might have to get hipper to their stock and what they can get for it.
    Its real hard not to check in on popsike....youre telling me you dont?
    You (and others) have sold lots of records. Have you ever set up at a show? Have you ever sold a significant ammount of things outside of ebay? or been nervous about letting go of some weird record that you didnt know how to price?

its one thing when music collectors complain about the rising cost of vinyl at stores and shows. but these days, boundaries between "collector" and "internet entrepreuneur" are very nebulous. So should a store's function be to provide fastcash for people with record market knowledge? or should they ensure that their nicer titles stay around for someone who wants to take it home and listen to it...while ensuring that they get money that will keep their business going?

i collect shit, i sell shit, at times i'll practically give stuff away, other times i'll try to get top dollar. but i cant knock a store for knowing what they got and being smart about their business. i'll buy something to flip if its way cheap, but i'll also gladly pay heavy for something ive been looking for.

YALL BABIES HAVE BEEN SPOILED TOO LONG!!!!!!!
    I'D MUCH RATHER SEE MORE RECORD STORES IN THE WORLD THAN MORE SQUIRRELY ASS INTERNET DEALERS (cough cough)

BWS has definitely gotten more expensive and harder to find stuff in. but they still consistently get loads of records which they price fairly. i wish they didnt look on popsike all the time, but would i if i was in their shoes? yes.
    they are not there to support your internet business...they are there to sell records.

and props to MonsterMolasses for selling nice records off line and being my neighbor.

<rant>Well the ghey shit is... if I wanted to pay boutique record store prices, I would go to NY. I like to think the high prices go towards store organization, polysleeves, spotless grading, zero filler, and the beautiful track lighting . There are Way too many shit hole record stores that started off on some cheap shit and think they can go Hollywood while they have a sea of unorganized bullshit records and a tattered and torn Del Jones on the wall for Popsike prices. That's how I see it as a record buyer... someone who likes the music... and enjoys dollarbin miracles as much as the next guy. I get record store dudes yapping off at me like fuck these eBay cats coming in here and trying to get over. The same record store guys that tell me they were at another record store and bought a $1000 punk 45 for a buck and sold it on the NET. So what makes them special over Joe eBayer? I guess they are more "worthy" than some fat antique dealer looking to make a buck?</rant>

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    people always be complainin' about popsike... what's wrong with using popsike as a gauge if you have NO EARTHLY IDEA WHATSOEVER what a record should be priced at? just average out whatever you see a record going for on popsike (in other words, ebay) and that's what it is. yeah, you may not sell it at that price, i'm sure. but i can't think of a fairer way when you can't find any other info on a particular record.

or, of course, you could just price it at five bucks... i'm sure that would make everybody happy

btw, yeah, i'm glad i didn't go down to that show... sounds like it woulda been a waste for me personally, but i'm glad other folks enjoyed it. regardless, the offer still stands for any strutters, known and lurkers as well- if you a who don't mind paying top $$$ and you need that raer, hit your boy up anytime and we can transact on some Monty Hall schitt. i'm tryna liquidate my azzets off in 2007. lolol

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    people always be complainin' about popsike... what's wrong with using popsike as a gauge if you have NO EARTHLY IDEA WHATSOEVER what a record should be priced at? just average out whatever you see a record going for on popsike (in other words, ebay) and that's what it is.

This is an extreme example, but if a record usually gets $25 on eBay, but one gets fluke bid up to $300, that's the one that gets Popsiked. So, someone who has no idea what the record is worth now thinks they have gold. But, of course there are baller pieces that consistently command baller prices. So, it can be a good resource for buyers and sellers. Sometimes the numbers that get catalogued on Popsike are misleading, though, that's the problem.

I'd be real curious to know how that site works...what criteria is used when putting past auctions up on there?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    DC too was a lot of fun. I don't know how it would've been for getting top dollar though. Maybe you didn't miss much Phill.

Here's a couple of photo's that were taken at the DC show. See if you can tell who's who (lots of strutters alert):

UMD record show

recordshow2

Kev I look like a tard. Thanks!

I will post up mine tonight if I have the time.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Knowledge is Power in the record game....gotta stay one step ahead.....I remember the dude's that thought Price Guides were the end of the world.....and for some of them it was.....the game changes and you gotta change with it.

If you want to know which guys got left behind in the dust look for the dude at the show with the $100 Nazz LP.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    people always be complainin' about popsike... what's wrong with using popsike as a gauge if you have NO EARTHLY IDEA WHATSOEVER what a record should be priced at? just average out whatever you see a record going for on popsike (in other words, ebay) and that's what it is.

This is an extreme example, but if a record usually gets $25 on eBay, but one gets fluke bid up to $300, that's the one that gets Popsiked. So, someone who has no idea what the record is worth now thinks they have gold. But, of course there are baller pieces that consistently command baller prices. So, it can be a good resource for buyers and sellers. Sometimes the numbers that get catalogued on Popsike are misleading, though, that's the problem.

I hear that Drewnice, but if you look something up on popsike and you see 6 copies of an album in the $40 to $80 range then see another copy that sold for $225 then you KNOW that that one was some wacky bidder that probly ain't even pay for the schitt. In that case you'd ignore the crazily high priced one, average out the other 6 and see what it comes to. If most of those 6 were going for around $50 you don't even have to average them all out, just assume that $50 is about a fair price and there you have it. It's all about HOW you use popsike... obviously, if you just look up the highest price you find and then use that to price the record you're selling then that would be kinda silly. Common sense + popsike > just making up a price out of thin air IMO, that's all i'm sayin'.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I hear that Drewnice, but if you look something up on popsike and you see 6 copies of an album in the $40 to $80 range then see another copy that sold for $225 then you KNOW that that one was some wacky bidder that probly ain't even pay for the schitt. In that case you'd ignore the crazily high priced one, average out the other 6 and see what it comes to. If most of those 6 were going for around $50 you don't even have to average them all out, just assume that $50 is about a fair price and there you have it. It's all about HOW you use popsike... obviously, if you just look up the highest price you find and then use that to price the record you're selling then that would be kinda silly. Common sense + popsike > just making up a price out of thin air IMO, that's all i'm sayin'.

Sho' ya' right. I'm making the assumption that Plopsike is only showing auctions that end at ~$50+? In that case you don't get the "normal" prices for those <$25 records like in my example, but that $300 anomaly makes it up there. That's why I'm curious how they decide what gets cataloged and whatnaut.

• I'd be real curious to know how that site works...what criteria is used when putting past auctions up on there?

I saw an article about the popsike guy taken from a European newspaper. If I remember rightly, he claimed to choose all the listings himself simply by trawling through ebay completed listings. He had a lower limit for prices, meaning that if a record routinely sells for between $10 and $30, with the occasional AP/showandtell/etc, spike, all the listings below $25 get left out.

As for BWS, we only put on ebay 1) some pricier records that have been given a couple months in the shop and 2) collectibles not likely to be purchased by the kind of clientele we get -say, a Joanna Martzy record, something like that.

And to those with nice words for Long in the Tooth, I agree bigtime. Nick is super friendly. He's even nice to Steve!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    As for BWS

• I was hungover as hell, but did OK. I agree that Mark had great stuff at really decent prices. I also had, almost verbatim, the same conversation about the Honey and the Bees LP.
    I'll cast my vote for this becoming a bimonthly event.

did anybody else try the brownies?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

OOOOOF.

• eyecueeyecue 5 Posts
    DC too was a lot of fun. I don't know how it would've been for getting top dollar though. Maybe you didn't miss much Phill.

UMD record show

recordshow2

Glad everyone had a good time at the show. I'd have to cosign with Johnny Paycheck... picked up some heat for some value.

We're already working on another for sometime in May, maybe the 12th. Now the only question is should we book a bigger room....

Hit me up with any input and suggestions, and stay tuned for the WMUC Record Swap part deux...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

UMD record show

recordshow2

Glad everyone had a good time at the show. I'd have to cosign with Johnny Paycheck... picked up some heat for some value.

We're already working on another for sometime in May, maybe the 12th. Now the only question is should we book a bigger room....

Hit me up with any input and suggestions, and stay tuned for the WMUC Record Swap part deux...
    gir wrote:

not to thread jack, but how was the dc show on saturday?

insane & cool
    the station had a deejay set up
    & everything they played was very nice
    lots of message board people set up + bought & sold
    (birdman9, djnevillec,ralph,nightcrawler45,+)
    the vibe was great
    young & old diggers
    they want to have the show twice a semester
    (next one in may)
    and have room to expand
    (less than 20 dealers,
    maybe 20-50 customers most of the day,
    so it stayed bizzee)
    the station got the word out,
    even had computer hook up to use paypal,
    atm & food court downstairs,
    free parking & admission
    plus
    SOM records got some of their
    great customers to turn up & spend

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this was a lot of fun. didn't make too much dough, but i wasn't expecting it. can't complain because set up was free. i was selling mostly dollar bin soul, jazz and rap records that i recently picked up in a 'all or nothing deal'. i kept what i wanted and was selling the rest.

i saw people pull some major heat from other dealers for cheap, so i can't say it was all overpriced.

i forgot to pass out those 'rap pack' cards to most people who purchased, but i did give some away.

as far as ebay dealers vs. record shops using popsike. i agree, i'd rather see more record shops out there than none. i'm obviously more a weekend flea market and thrift digger, but i too wouldn't mind raising a family one day. for now, while i'm under 30 and still living a rather calm lifestyle. i do ebay on the side to help pay for bills, and well--recently--sort of as part of my living.
    but i can't knock places like bws for pulling out the popsike. bws is still one of the few record shops i like to frequent, and i think they are generally fair in price.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I missed brownies...my wife sent me over to ikea after the show...that would of made my experience and ride home that much more enjoyable...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    From Neville C's camera

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Here's what I found and kept from the DC (College Park) record show. Two of them came from around DC this weekend. Thanks Johhny Paycheck, Nitekrawler, Secret Chimp, Coffin Joe et al. Also got heaps for the shop - Fela, Erotic Moods, etc.)