Can I hate on Jill Scott?

2»

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    and i didnt even mention that i had tickets for the robin thicke concert tonite (he canceled due to sickness).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    All logic tells me I should have no time for her music but I have a serious soft spot for her first album. Not actually bothered to check anything since but the first album holds a lot of good memories - all romantic, all soft. Took me a long time to banish the memory of her performing music from the Wiz in full scarecrow outfit though.

Also, until Young Phonics decides to grace us with his presence again, and under the influence of alcohol, let me put it out there and say

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I love Jill Scott's music, and I think she's a cutie too. Big-bonededness does not equal ugly. I think some of the disdain for her music here may be cultural. It's a Black thang, which is why some of y'all can't get with it. The same reason I can't feel the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I went to school with Jill, and in fact I DJed her surprise 30th birthday. She has an amazing voice and range and it's just that she's doing HER. I can never be mad at her, even if I DIDN'T know her. Her stuff might not be for everyone, in fact it's not really my bag anyway, but she definitely does things her own way.

Jill Scott was the hardest thing on stage in Chapelle's Block Party. She came on with that psychadelic soul mother shit and had me shook.

she sounded pretty good on stage, but i have to say, she came off like such an ego-maniac during the interview. From that movie she seems like the type of person who can only carry a conversation if it's about herself.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    and i didnt even mention that i had tickets for the robin thicke concert tonite (he canceled due to thicke[/b]ness).

You cannot be serious.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I still have that Who Is... LP and some of the 12s from it. One has a go-go beat to it and was a big in DC for a minute. I think it's Gimmmee. I was reorganizing records last night and found my Neo Soul section. Some Maxwell was in there too.

None of it has stood the test of time IMO. I'm fine with listening to I Want You or First Take over and over and over.

All these throwback genres have the staying power of a fart.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The good stuff has staying power. They fit into genres called "R&B" or "Soul music."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

None of it has stood the test of time IMO. I'm fine with listening to I Want You or First Take over and over and over.

digger cliche # 32: 70s music is forever

• tbone47tbone47 16 Posts
    i like Jill Scott. Without sounding facetious, my jam is the one where she starts talking about all the sh*t she did after getting up outta bed. woke up, had some breakfast - grits, combed my hair, took a shower, etc.

that was an unappealing recap, but it is a great song. makes you feel like you are listening in on someone's telephone conversation...and it ends up being a love song about how she can't wait for her day to end so she can hang with her boyfriend.

"Is It the Way"

word, thats my jam too.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

digger cliche # 32 # 1: 70s music is forever

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Jill Scott makes weak records, but turns out a pretty damn good live show. I never got into the neo-soul movement, but of all of those artists I dug India Arie the most by far.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Is digger cliche #32 that saying things like 'test of time' is only relevent when it comes to current music, because if the 'test of time' actually worked there would be no gems to uncover by digging. They would have all passed THE TEST OF TIME