Can I hate on Jill Scott?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
(in response to Casandra Wilson)In like 2000/2001 - people who's musical taste that i really respected were all over her record. It was a-ight then- but now? Totally unlistenable. Any fans on here?

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Seriously, I was never a fan of Jill or any of her 'neo-soul' cronies...But that's just me.

• I just ripped a couple tunes from the last lp I bought by her (letting the record go, too much filler)...most of that material wasn't resonating with me but jams like Golden and A Long Walk are pretty good.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Seriously, I was never a fan of Jill or any of her 'neo-soul' cronies...But that's just me.

Yeh, I never really understood what all the fuss was about or why she is so revered among neo-soul cats.

Semi-hijack:

I also don't understand the tastemakers' acclaim for these 2 artists:
    Peven Everett - has some EXCELLENT tracks, but, with some 20 albums to his name, needs a good editor
    Fat Freddy's Drop - meh...

Someone plaese to drop the knowledge.

SG

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    No, don't hate on her. I have a feeling Young Phonics is gonna be mad.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I went to school with Jill, and in fact I DJed her surprise 30th birthday. She has an amazing voice and range and it's just that she's doing HER. I can never be mad at her, even if I DIDN'T know her. Her stuff might not be for everyone, in fact it's not really my bag anyway, but she definitely does things her own way.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I dig Jill Scott. I opted to keep my vinyl of her first LP.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "Gimmee" always gets the people dancin'.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I used to dig, haven't listened in a long while.

I saw her live, which was amazing. Not due solely to her performance, but more the fact that I've never seen so many beautiful women in one place. The place was packed, and at least 60% women, which never happens. The ladies love Jill Scott.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I went to school with Jill, and in fact I DJed her surprise 30th birthday. She has an amazing voice and range and it's just that she's doing HER. I can never be mad at her, even if I DIDN'T know her. Her stuff might not be for everyone, in fact it's not really my bag anyway, but she definitely does things her own way.

Jill Scott was the hardest thing on stage in Chapelle's Block Party. She came on with that psychadelic soul mother shit and had me shook.

and yeah I've never really been able to fuck with her records, except "Gimme"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Why not.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Jill Scott is dope, I don't know what you all are eating.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jill Scott is dope, I don't know what you all are eating.

Pesto tortellini. And I never liked Jill Scott much at all.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I LIKE NEO SOUL AND I LIKE JILL SCOTT. SUE ME!

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    her first album is

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I DJed her surprise 30th birthday.

She didn't know she was turning 30?

Jill Scott was the hardest thing on stage in Chapelle's Block Party. She came on with that psychadelic soul mother shit and had me shook.

Did Kandia Crazy Horse just hijack your account?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I DJed her surprise 30th birthday.

She didn't know she was turning 30?

I was the only one who knew!

I am a man of diverse appetites.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Her last album was good, and the first is a Classic.

I am a man of diverse appetites.

I was referring not so much to your soft spot for Jill Scott (who is, after all, built like a budget Mo'Nique) as to the use of the phrase "psychadelic soul mother". I'm pretty sure I've seen that one in the pages of the Village Voice.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Jill Scott is great

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    (in response to Casandra Wilson)

In like 2000/2001 - people who's musical taste that i really respected were all over her record. It was a-ight then- but now? Totally unlistenable. Any fans on here?

My girl likes her. I can still listen to that first record, and I like parts of the second, but there's a GAMM remix of "Golden" which I bump more often than anything on the actual album. On the whole, that neo-soul thing headed down a cul-de-sac of headwrap-and-Donny-Hathaway-poboy-cap cliches quicker than you can say "I Love The Lord (He Heard My Cry)".

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    On the whole, that neo-soul thing headed down a cul-de-sac of headwrap-and-Donny-Hathaway-poboy-cap cliches quicker than you can say "I Love The Lord (He Heard My Cry)".

HA!

I think that's my problem with her.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    a cul-de-sac of headwrap-and-Donny-Hathaway-poboy-cap cliches quicker than you can say "I Love The Lord (He Heard My Cry)".

That would be this dude

Add a solid dose of Stevie-biting to the mix in addition to the Donny adoration. There's one track on the above album ("Moment In Life", methinks) that sounds like one big Wonderchunk off of Stevie's catalogue. So redundant.

I like Jill Scott though. I think she's one of the better exponents of the neo-soul (yuckword!) genre. I dig all her albums. Co-sign on the GAMM Golden remix. I play that out a lot.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Co-sign on the GAMM Golden remix. I play that out a lot.

oh yes, that is a serious killer!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I had to fast forward that crap. Actually I had to fast forward all the terrible music in that movie.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i like Jill Scott. Without sounding facetious, my jam is the one where she starts talking about all the sh*t she did after getting up outta bed. woke up, had some breakfast - grits, combed my hair, took a shower, etc.

that was an unappealing recap, but it is a great song. makes you feel like you are listening in on someone's telephone conversation...and it ends up being a love song about how she can't wait for her day to end so she can hang with her boyfriend.

i like Jill Scott. Without sounding facetious, my jam is the one where she starts talking about all the sh*t she did after getting up outta bed. woke up, had some breakfast - grits, combed my hair, took a shower, etc.

that was an unappealing recap, but it is a great song. makes you feel like you are listening in on someone's telephone conversation...and it ends up being a love song about how she can't wait for her day to end so she can hang with her boyfriend.

^^^^^^^^SOFT